Well ive been told im a pretty good player for one year and i guess i can play pretty well but i want to increase speed.

Dont say practice. I know i have to practice i don't expect to shred in one night but WHAT should i practice?
get a metronome and practice 3 note per string scales....thats really all shredding is with a few pentatonic riffs thrown in here and there
Faster at PICKING or a faster fret-hand?

If you want the former, just learn more alternate-picked, harder guitar solos, or lots of Slayer songs. System Of A Down's song BYOB is another good way to learn...about 80% of the song is fast alternate picking.

If you want the latter, I suggest just learning more guitar solos with more hammer-ons and pull-offs. And there are plenty of those.
Quote by Thebiz

If you want the former, just learn more alternate-picked, harder guitar solos, or lots of Slayer songs. System Of A Down's song BYOB is another good way to learn...about 80% of the song is fast alternate picking.

If you want the latter, I suggest just learning more guitar solos with more hammer-ons and pull-offs. And there are plenty of those.

Its faster picking. i can fret the notes pretty fast i just cant pick the damn thing
Quote by Thebiz

It doesn't matter, there's no distinction to make...it's all about co-ordination, getting both hands to work together. If one is faster you don't need to work at speeding the other up, you need to work at synchronising the two.

Simply work on your accuracy, that's where speed comes from - the better you are at the actions you need to perform to play something the faster you'll be able to play it. Don't worry about speed, play things as slow as is needed to to play them perfectly. If you can play something perfectly 100% of the time then you can look at speeding up a little - if you start to screw up again then you're going to fast and no amount of trying to get it right will remedy the problem, you have to slow back down again.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Thebiz

yes learn slayer. i owe them for my alt picking
Try practising really slowley, that way your brain goes over everything you are doing twice and really gets to grips with what you are learning. Also make all your movements very small and ergonomic, minimum movement equals maximum speed. Check out my video here for proof that it works - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tnRUfP1aWho I did some session work for malmsteen about a year ago and I had to improve my speed for that.

I'm even faster now, not that speed is important...

Me
Quote by the_poison125
Its faster picking. i can fret the notes pretty fast i just cant pick the damn thing

Try learning Misirlou by Dick Dale. Oh and try not to tense up too much (look up muscle tension stuff)
Quote by Robchappers
Try practising really slowley, that way your brain goes over everything you are doing twice and really gets to grips with what you are learning. Also make all your movements very small and ergonomic, minimum movement equals maximum speed. Check out my video here for proof that it works - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tnRUfP1aWho I did some session work for malmsteen about a year ago and I had to improve my speed for that.

I'm even faster now, not that speed is important...

Me

Cool, it's the Orange guy
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
first things first STOP TRYING TO PLAY FAST. Learn your scales. Learn your modes. Learn your theory. PLAY SLOWLY and build up to speed.

A billion guitar players can play fast. VERY FEW can play tastefully/well.

practice like i've told you and you will be one of the few. STOP fretting over speed. START fretting over playing well....eventually speed will come. Then you will be playing fast TASTEFULLY..... thats the key!

Trust me.... "meedly meedly meedly meedly meedly" means NOTHING unless it has feeling! Apply what I've said and you'll stand out... don't do it and you'll be just everyone else....
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Last edited by brianthemayan at Apr 16, 2008,
I usually do chromatic scales, major scales, pentatonic scales, arpeggios and ocassionally modes to improve my picking. The important thing is play them slowly until you get them perfect and then increase by perhaps 2-3 bpm over the course of a week.
Also practice a lot, I'm doing 3 hours to the click a day at the moment, I know some people do more and a lot more people do less, but just remember the more you practice the better you're going to get.
A last word of advice, don't JUST practice technical exercises, you'll turn into a boring scale speed machine. Learn songs and practice to backing tracks so you can work on your phrasing and soloing ideas.
Hope this helped, Josh.
Quote by Jaudio-stang
I usually do chromatic scales, major scales, pentatonic scales, arpeggios and ocassionally modes to improve my picking. The important thing is play them slowly until you get them perfect and then increase by perhaps 2-3 bpm over the course of a week.
Also practice a lot, I'm doing 3 hours to the click a day at the moment, I know some people do more and a lot more people do less, but just remember the more you practice the better you're going to get.
A last word of advice, don't JUST practice technical exercises, you'll turn into a boring scale speed machine. Learn songs and practice to backing tracks so you can work on your phrasing and soloing ideas.
Hope this helped, Josh.

+1.....
practice with a click/metronome...... it is ESSENTIAL.....
along with those scales add minor, melodic, and harmonic minor scales...

from there start going to more exotic scales....
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Sweeping is also something you might want to start learning if you haven't already. It will greatly increase your left hand speed and it sounds/looks fast and awesome.
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.
Practice alternate picking on heavy gauge, or on acoustic. It will give your movement tightness, and will help your ability to accent. Learn legato, and sweeping. But most important, do it cleanly, and learn good muting.