Hullo,
I'm a big fan of Oceansize, a band who frequently use weird time signatures to great effect. How would it be possible for me to write something say in...11/4, 9/8 or something?
Is there a metronome I could use online to help write them?

Thank you.
This would be easy helped with via Guitar Pro since they display the time signature at the bottom too telling how much you've filled out and how much is left of the bar.

Also, I made a bassriff in 5/4, i just made a riff that sounded good in 4/4 then added two eight-notes (=1 fourth) and looped it, it automatically then became 5/4. ^^
I just have to say, Oceansize rock. Didn't think I'd ever hear about them here.
Maybe U2 wouldn't suck so hard if they stopped preaching and started rocking instead. Of course, that's difficult to do with Pantera holding a near monopoly on all things that rock.
-Maddox.
Honestly, I've found that when you're trying to write wierd stuff like that, it helps to not pay any attention to the time signature until after the riff is "done".

It sounds really cliche, but think of what you'd want to hear, regardless of what time its in. It's all about your intentions... you can make it really jarring or you can make it flow really nicely.
FOR IRE
ya here's one: http://webmetronome.com/ you can set the tempo and beat. but dont force anything into an uncommon time signature, ive heard too many bands force it trying to sound 'cool' or 'smart', but it just sounded sh*tty. so let it come naturally, itll sound just that much better. theres my 2 cents.
Quote by Tabula_Rasa
Honestly, I've found that when you're trying to write wierd stuff like that, it helps to not pay any attention to the time signature until after the riff is "done".

It sounds really cliche, but think of what you'd want to hear, regardless of what time its in. It's all about your intentions... you can make it really jarring or you can make it flow really nicely.

+1, thats what i was trying to say.
Aye. Thanks for you help guys.

I recently wrote a riff in 9/16th's without realizing. I was seeking a more direct way of realizing what I was writing, but I'll keep your advise in mind
Quote by Tabula_Rasa

This, I think Soundgarden wrote that way and they used a heck of a lot of odd time signatures.
just write whatever melody or rhythm you are trying to write, the riff makes the time sig, not the other way around.

if you want to learn the rhythmic feels of different sigs, you can usually divide the groupings up in say.. 2+2+3 (for 7). whenever im not at my guitar im writing down different rhythms in whatever time sigs i can think of just as practice.

11 isnt THAT bad to subdivide. neither is 9/8 (3 sets of triplets). you could go all meshuggah style with: 23/16 (X5) then 13/16. dream theater also uses various time sigs.