Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
The neck of the custom is U shaped, the neck of the deluxe is C shaped.

I hated the custom, it felt like ass, with the bridge single it still didnt sound remotely tele-ish, the neck was huge and clumsy and sticky, the pickups sucked, but I havent passed my judgement on the deluxe.
Quote by beckyjc
The neck of the custom is U shaped, the neck of the deluxe is C shaped.

I hated the custom, it felt like ass, with the bridge single it still didnt sound remotely tele-ish, the neck was huge and clumsy and sticky, the pickups sucked, but I havent passed my judgement on the deluxe.

actually they both have C necks.

Another difference is that the custom has the option of a rosewood fingerboard
Quote by Revhain
actually they both have C necks.

Another difference is that the custom has the option of a rosewood fingerboard

The specs on fender.com say otherwise, besides, that neck deffinately felt like a U, know what I mean?
yeah, the specs say that they both have c necks that's where I found out. Don't know how they play though, since I haven't had the pleasure.
Model Name ‘72 Telecaster® Custom
Model Number 013-7500-(Color#) and 013-7502-(Color#)
Series Classic Series
Colors (300)* 3-Color Sunburst, *add $50.00,
(306) Black
(Polyester Finish)
Body Alder
Neck Maple, “U” Shape,
(Gloss Polyurethane Finish)

:: Close Window
Model Name ‘72 Telecaster® Deluxe
Model Number 013-7702-(Color#)
Series Classic Series
Colors (300)* 3-Color Sunburst, *add $50.00,
(306) Black,
(392) Walnut,
(Polyester Finish)
Body Alder
Neck 1-Piece Maple, “C” Shape,
(Gloss Polyurethane Finish)

Whats that, youre wrong?
then they're just falsely advertising or something. Look at the small description when you just click the guitar from the menu. It definately says C shaped on both. ....Right? or am I getting nearsighted already ;_;
Not to hijack this thread but what is the difference between a U and C-shaped neck? Are strats and teles typically equipped with one while the other with the other?
~Nick

Basically here is your comparison.

It differs from models, most strats are C shaped, (except for like vintage models etc.) in fact ive never played anything else on a strat. But ive played a few U shaped teles and C shaped teles. I deffinately prefer C shaped, seeing as thats what my womanly hands suit. But if you have bigger hands, youd prolly appreciate a chunkier neck.
Last edited by beckyjc at Apr 16, 2008,
I tried the deluxe (2 humbuckers) and the neck was really thick. It was like holding a baseball bat...

But - altough it didn't sound like a Tele - the sounds it produced were amazing.

If it wasn't for the thick neck, I would consider it... I have average-sized hands, not too big, not too small.

Never tried the Custom, though
Quote by beckyjc

It differs from models, most strats are C shaped, (except for like vintage models etc.) in fact ive never played anything else on a strat. But ive played a few U shaped teles and C shaped teles. I deffinately prefer C shaped, seeing as thats what my womanly hands suit. But if you have bigger hands, youd prolly appreciate a chunkier neck.

Some strat's have D and U shape necks. I think some strats in the 70's had D shaped necks. Malmsteen's signature is a U, methinks.
I've always fancied a deluxe, although I've never had the opportunity to try one.

Dare I ask- would the squier custom be a worthwhile (cheap) alternative? the squier strat I had was a peach....... but it was a late 80's / early 90's korean one
I tried the Squier Tele Custom at my local shop and for the 20$ they were asking I would say you would be hard to be beat. I thought the tone was great and the neck felt superb. The only reason I didn't purchase was I wanted a fender tele and I ended up with a great deal on a lite ash that I love. I am considering the Squier Tele Custom as my 2nd electric. I want a guitar that is humbucking equipped. With the money I save I can afford to go to Lalapalooza
Quote by beckyjc

Do you mean to say you feel the U is chunkier? Because I played one of the hot rodded '52 teles and that neck felt pretty thin, I suppose it does vary from person to person but anyways I felt the shape was thin (and I have small hands too). I mean I didn't try doing any fast passages let alone shredding (this is a tele after all and I by no means wanted to go all John 5 on one lol) but I really didn't feel any drag in the neck.
Last edited by Wakisazhi at Apr 16, 2008,
Quote by ccrnnr9
I tried the Squier Tele Custom at my local shop and for the 20$ they were asking I would say you would be hard to be beat. I thought the tone was great and the neck felt superb. The only reason I didn't purchase was I wanted a fender tele and I ended up with a great deal on a lite ash that I love. I am considering the Squier Tele Custom as my 2nd electric. I want a guitar that is humbucking equipped. With the money I save I can afford to go to Lalapalooza

Nice one, thanks for that

I'm already planning another guitar when the one I've just ordered hasnt arrived yet its an addiction......
so has anybody actually got an opinion based on first hand experience from playing either custom or deluxe ??
Excellent guitars
I owned a Deluxe for about a month but had to trade it in. I could not play the neck, it was way to chunky for my little Irish hands. I, personally loved the sound and look of the guitar. When I bought it, I had only played it sitting down but at home standing up it was murder on my hands. It had pretty heavy strings on it from the store so I switched them for 10s thinking that would help. It did not....
Now I bring a strap with me when I am guitar shopping.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09