what is an overdrive pedal and will it work on a Spider III
PLEASE! KEEP COMMENTS ON OVERDRIVE!
Its a pedal that makes your sound drive " over" and yes, it will work with a spider 3.
It's a type of output increase used with tube amps. It works on SS amps, but only as a type of distortion. The output change makes way more difference on a tube amp.
Depends how you set it up.
Either you set it up to emulate valve tone or you set it up as a boost to push the valves in your VALVE amp.
It wouldn't sound too great on a Spider though, nor will a distortion pedal - not just because it's a Spider, but because the Spider is a modelling amp and modelling amps + dist/OD doesn't sound too good.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
An overdrive pedal is technically a pedal that boosts the strength of your signal to help "drive" your tubes into saturation. Modern day overdrive pedals (what you're referring to) try to simulate the tone of tube saturation. They tend to be very light distortion, and I can tell you right now, will not work well with a solid state modeling amp. Rather than color your tone, it will just add sloppiness. Overdrive pedals simulate even order harmonics, and solid state amps put out odd ones.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Boosts output to help distort a tube amp, works as a decent distortion for solid state. A good overdrive pedal and a tube amp will give you outstanding sound. OD + SS is alright...It works, but I wouldn't expect too much tone out of an OD through a Spider III.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
1. Get in automobile
2. Put Spider III under tire
3. Put Car in overdrive
4. Step on gas pedal
5. ???
6. Profit.

A spider is a modeling amp, you'd be better off getting the spider footswitch.

Or doing as suggested above.
Quote by imgooley
1. Get in automobile
2. Put Spider III under tire
3. Put Car in overdrive
4. Step on gas pedal
5. ???
6. Profit.

A spider is a modeling amp, you'd be better off getting the spider footswitch.

Or doing as suggested above.

Yup. When you get a new amp, make sure you destroy the Spider. God forbid some other poor bastard gets his hands on it.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by handlerb
Yup. When you get a new amp, make sure you destroy the Spider. God forbid some other poor bastard gets his hands on it.

well not all of us can afford marshalls. some of us use what we have and we use it good
an OD pedal will sound like garbage through your amp. It will not function the way it is supposed to. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this pedal/what tones are you going for? That would be a better question to ask/place to start.

NO OD pedal will function properly/well with your amp. An OD pedal is MEANT to drive a TUBE amp. Not a modeler. You should have modeling options with your amp that emulate OD's. Why not use them?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
dude i'm just asking. i would like to get some extra gain fopr my solos since i don't have a switchboard. instead i have to stop playing and push a **** load of buttons and that just takes too much time
Quote by Sakattack75
dude i'm just asking. i would like to get some extra gain fopr my solos since i don't have a switchboard. instead i have to stop playing and push a **** load of buttons and that just takes too much time

than BUY the footswitch for it. that is, if aren't willing to save up for a 5150...
Quote by Highwaytohell
than BUY the footswitch for it. that is, if aren't willing to save up for a 5150...

+1

Line 6 already make something that does what you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
you don't want an overdrive, what you want is a footswitch. getting an overdrive pretty much defeats the purpose of ur amp totally. it's just not a smart move. you definitely wont get the results you're looking for either.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by handlerb

you could at least give it to me
or keep things
like the speaker
and if you really need an amp anything works

and probably footswitch, OD is more tube (i get to restate what everyone's already said)
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by slash_rocks2005
you don't want an overdrive, what you want is a footswitch. getting an overdrive pretty much defeats the purpose of ur amp totally. it's just not a smart move. you definitely wont get the results you're looking for either.

+ like, a billion.....

Line 6 makes many styles of floor boards that are compatible with your amp. If you are not open to investing in a different amp.... then the floor board pedal will be your best option.

Get the board and program it so you have a boost option for your solos... it WILL sound better than getting an OD to put in front of your amp.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.