I recently got a Takstar PCM-6100 Condenser Microphone, I saw it going for only $10 on eBay, and it had decent reviews on Harmony Central, so I thought I'd get it. My question is this: What else would I need in order to record some basic stuff onto my computer? Thanks all
Haven't you heard?

It's a battle of words
you need mixer and a good audio driver + card.
and a nice software the you can control will help
u probably do need a mixer, u will need the software to do the recording and and adapter to get ur guitar lead into the computer. the mixer might be able to do that without an adapter
you DON'T need a mixer...

For recording you use interfaces which are pieces are hardware which bypass your computers stock sound card. Make sure the interface has 48V phantom power and a preamp on board. A nice unit is the Mackie Onyx Satellite.

Then download Reaper and you're set to record.

*this thread was moved from the GG&A form*
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 17, 2008,
I second that motion, moody.

I never get why everyone thinks you need a mixer. Maybe cos they see them in proper studios and stuff....

If your using a computer, an audio inteface is what you want. It's like a soundcard, but for recording.
I appreciate the suggestionfor the Mackie Onyx Satellite interface, but I'm not looking to do anything terribly complicated. It'll just be a single guitar part at a time. I was wondering if you had any less expensive suggestions.
Haven't you heard?

It's a battle of words
ART USB Studio

One input, phantom power, plug it directly into the computer like a printer, plug the mike into that with an XLR cable. Cheapest you can get without getting sketchy or consumer hardware, and it's well featured for a microphone preamp. It has a built in limiter to prevent distortion while recording, and changeable impedance to slightly smooth out or clarify your sound. If you have a good sound card, then a basic TubeMP will suffice...plug its output into the line-in of your sound card (it should be a blue port).

Get the cable and microphone stand, and make sure the microphone has a mount to get free shipping. Also, improvising a pop filter (with a ring and pantyhose/fine metal grill) could be useful.

Done.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Apr 16, 2008,
Another question, my computer is a 4 year old HP and I only got the standard sound card at the time. What kind of sound card would be necessary for this?
Haven't you heard?

It's a battle of words
With any interface, USB or Firewire, you don't need a sound card. You can plug headphones to the ART itself (and even monitors).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

Thanks for the help, I'll have to save up a little bit for that unit, but it looks like it's worth it.
Haven't you heard?

It's a battle of words
Quote by sam i am
I second that motion, moody.

I never get why everyone thinks you need a mixer. Maybe cos they see them in proper studios and stuff....

If your using a computer, an audio inteface is what you want. It's like a soundcard, but for recording.

Yeah, but if people don't know, they shouldn't just guess!
There is poetry in despair.
You sure as hell don't need a mixer...what exactly needs to be 'mixed' with a single mic? Any cheap mixer with phantom power would do fine, though you can get dedicated USB interfaces which take most of the hassle out of the process.

The Line6 Toneport is great if you're a guitarist, since the bundled amp software is really quite decent.
I'm not going to lie... I def chuckled when I read the whole mixer thing... no you do not need a mixer - just an audio interface and software...

Go with M-Audio to start as it is compatible with Pro Tools and virtually everything else.

If you want better sound with more money go with MOTU interfaces.
Not all M-Audio gear is compatible with ProTools, make sure what youre getting is if you intend to use it.
Quote by fridge_raider
Yeah, but if people don't know, they shouldn't just guess!

you should see what gets posted sometimes in recording question threads when they are posted in the GG&A section of the form...its just a bunch of people saying you MUST get a MIXER

This is why I scan though that section twice a day to make sure nothing is out of place and if something is ill have a mod move it.

It is annoying how the people who think they know how to record post in a thread giving wrong info to someone who is looking for help.
Quote by moody07747
you should see what gets posted sometimes in recording question threads when they are posted in the GG&A section of the form...its just a bunch of people saying you MUST get a MIXER

This is why I scan though that section twice a day to make sure nothing is out of place and if something is ill have a mod move it.

It is annoying how the people who think they know how to record post in a thread giving wrong info to someone who is looking for help.

Yeah, I remember when I was first learning how to record (not all THAT long ago ) stuff like that would really confuse me. And I always imagine someone's sorrowful face who has wound up wasting their money on equipment they don't need or isn't compatible. lol.
Whether you need a mixer or not depends on a few factors. Though it *can* be true to say you don't need a mixer, it isn't always true.

Factors to consider:
1. Your interface: How many inputs does it have? Not enough? Consider a mixer. Does it have XLR inputs? If no, get a mixer. Does it have phantom power? If no, get a mixer. However, if your interface has as many XLR inputs as you need, and offers phantom power, and the software allows for flexibility of routing, then you don't need one. These types of interfaces are much more common now than they were even five years ago.
2. also related to interface, in a way... Connectivity with other gear. Do you need separate outputs to drive things like a headphone amp in addition to your studio monitors? Do you want to have multiple monitor mixes for a band where the bass player and drummer want more kick drum, but the singer wants more vocal? If your interface software doesn't support this, then you'll need a mixer with pre-fader aux sends to drive something like a multi-channel headphone amp.
3. similar to #2.... Do you have an outboard hardware compressor or something like that? If your interface doesn't have an insert point, then you'll need a mixer that does.

You get the idea.

Yes, there are some very versatile interfaces out there now that allow you to work without a mixer. But, depending on your needs, you just might need a mixer after all.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Are you talking about a multi-track recorder? Without a PC connection (usb/firewire/pci)?

Because I don't think mixers can really be used to actually record music by itself - they are used for live applications or to mix several tracks together and then get routed to the audio interface... but unless they have a CD burner in there they are very inefficient for recordings.
I believe he is referring to routing the outputs of an analog mixer into the ad/da's of an interface to use with a computer.
Weather you decide get a mixer or not depends on your personal preference. I do not prefer using mixers. With today's selection of superb interfaces you don't need to buy a mixer.

To get a well rounded home studio:

1) Interface
2) Sequencer
3) Mics
4) Monitors

That is all. You will need to spend well over a grand to get a decent setup. If you want a very nice professional sounding home studio, it's going to be around $5000.
Last edited by earplay at Apr 19, 2008,
Quote by MrPillow
I believe he is referring to routing the outputs of an analog mixer into the ad/da's of an interface to use with a computer.

yes.

ct
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Possibly but that is much more expensive to get than a interface. For one you would have to buy a mixer and then an AD/DA Convertor which could run over 2,000 dollars. A mixer must be connected to something else to record.
Guys...I think he's ok. He plans on getting that ART interface I suggested so he can record with his $10 condenser. He doesn't need anything more sophisticated. If you want an argument on the virtues of mixing, create a separate topic.
Quote by keiron_d

well what I have for home recording is:
a condenser mic
MBOX2 factory
effect plugins
ezdrummer
mic stand
headphones

...hope that helps
peace
It isn't possible to record with a mixer alone, but a mixer can be very useful to expand the number of preamps, buses, routings, etc available to a simple 2 input interface or something close to it. I believe that was the point everyone else was trying to get across.
Instead of starting a new thread I'll post here!

I bought a microphone today which I intend to use for recording one track at a time with. However, when I plugged it directly into the EDIT: MICROPHONE socket of the computer, I found it to be way to quiet, despite how loud my amp was and even when I turned my amp up as far as it could go the sound was only just being picked up.

Do I need an audio interface or am I barking up the wrong tree with that?

Thanks for your help
Last edited by CE49 at May 16, 2008,
First of all, did you mean headphone socket or was that a mistake? Because it wants to be in the mic input, not headphone.

Secondly, an audio interface should eliminate your problem, as it will contain a preamp to boost the sound of the mic. Stock soundcards aren't designed for recording.
Quote by fridge_raider
First of all, did you mean headphone socket or was that a mistake? Because it wants to be in the mic input, not headphone.

Oops sorry yeah I did mean that.

I'll be getting an audio interface then! Thanks for your help guys!
Ok I've just been looking at audio interfaces and I don't have a clue what I'm looking for. What should I be looking at for just simple one microphone recording?
yea audio interfaces have better preamps and if its a condenser mic, you'll need phantom power on your interface as well.

Interfaces are the first piece of gear to look into when starting to record. They really do a lot of good, (or bad if you get a cheap one...) to your sound.

Research and look into a few to see what features you will need. After you konw what you need you can pick one out.