Hey!
I'm having a handmade guitar being built right now, and I'm deciding which pickups to get. My requirements are this...
I love the Johnny Hiland pickups that PRS has, but they wont sell them without the guitar, and they don't come with the black and white zebra bobbins that I want.
Basically I'm looking for two humbuckers with coil taps to split into true single coils to get the sounds of Johnny Hiland type tone, so I can play, classic chickin pickin' country, vintage Van Halen rock, to Stevie Ray Vaughn blues.
Any advice on which models?
It sounds like some SD Pearly Gates would work well. They are relatively high output, but vintage voiced pickups. They do well on "bright" instruments (like the Hiland PRS with its lighter wood and maple fretboard) which is good for country. With a bit of drive they produce a great southern rock and blues tone (Allmans, ZZ Top). Because of their high output they take to distortion pedals very well. I run an LP with them in both positions through a medium gain pedal and get amazing classic metal (Sabbath and Deep Purple) tones.

SRV blues... nothing can fake a strat, nothing
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
In 1998/9 used to watch Johnny Hiland playing for tips in Nashville; got some amazing video of him playing in the Don Kelly Band in Roberts Western Bar
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by handlerb
It sounds like some SD Pearly Gates would work well. They are relatively high output, but vintage voiced pickups. They do well on "bright" instruments (like the Hiland PRS with its lighter wood and maple fretboard) which is good for country. With a bit of drive they produce a great southern rock and blues tone (Allmans, ZZ Top). Because of their high output they take to distortion pedals very well. I run an LP with them in both positions through a medium gain pedal and get amazing classic metal (Sabbath and Deep Purple) tones.

SRV blues... nothing can fake a strat, nothing

definitly put at least one pearly gates in there

if u dont put a pearly gates in both spots, put a pearly gates in one and some PAF-style pickup in the other.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Thanks for the advice guys! Is the the Pearly Gates a better choice than the '78 custom?
I would like to find samples of both. My guitar will be a mahogany body with a quilted maple top, maple bolt in neck, ebony fingerboard. I decided on a bolt in because I'm not crazy about glue ins... Can these pickups be tapped to true single coils?
This is a shot of Johnny Hiland in Nashville late 90s
Attachments:
Johnny Hilandb.jpg
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
What do you guys think about the
SH-1 '59 for the neck and the SH-4 JB for bridge?
Quote by Dreamality
What do you guys think about the
SH-1 '59 for the neck and the SH-4 JB for bridge?

Ugh to the JB, the Pearly Gates is miles better for what you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I listened to the Pearly Gates on the Seymour Duncan site on the "dirty bridge" setting, and it sounded more like Billy gibbons /ZZ Top sound than Johnny Hiland. The Texas sound is cool, but I'm looking for more of a hot rodded Nashville tone. The neck pickup is where I would like a more SRV (Texas) when the bucker is split into a single coil.
I heard great things about Bare Knuckles pickups, but I haven't found a humbucker close to the style I'm looking for. The Steve Stevens model though is awesome for rock/hard rock.
I've just re-read the original post and come up with a better idea....Duncan Stag Mag or Swineshead AMP

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh3_stag_mag/
http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/amp.shtml
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Guys the PG is not very high output, it's PAF like, but just a tiny bit hotter. It's a little more aggressive though. Certainly not high output.

Same, high outputs doesn't mean it'd work well with distortion pedals. Quite the opposite if anything.

I'd go with something like a Jazz set. Why? It's the most versatile, clear, and beautiful sounding pickup set I ever tried. The jazz bridge is full of harmonics, stays clear under insane gain and I've rarely played anything better. The jazz neck is equally fun, but again you can easily try a 59 or one of the other low/med output buckers out there.
I honestly do think the jazz set will work for you.

What I do not know if whether your guitar + rig will even be able to give you a tenth of Johnny's sound...