Hey guys. I'm an intermediate player who wants to get some better metal tones. I have a roland cube 60, a Korg AX5g (I think that's the model number..I'm at work right now) and a metal muff. My guitars are a custom agile ghost III with an EMG 81/85 combo and an Agile hornet with a seymour duncan distortion.

Unfortunately, I don't have the budget to get a new tube amp, which I know would be the number one thing to help. But, I do have 30 bucks for a fish and chips EQ. would this help my tone a lot?
It will help you shape it more yes - I think it would be a good buy for the Cube as you really need to tweak it lots to get a great tone out of one. I don't think it would sound better with the Metal Muff that you've got though - Modelling amps + dist/OD pedals normally don't mix too well.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Thanks for the help man. Yeah, I'm just looking for anything besides a really expensive tube amp to help my tone. Ultimately, I will get a tube, but for now, hopefully the EQ will help until then.

As for the Metal Muff, it doesn't sound bad really, just sort of flat. A decent thrash tone, but nothing near a good deathmetal metalcore crunch.
I really like the dano FAC. I used to have to plug my board straight into the house system at my church until I got an amp, and I had two of those on my board. great for tone change into a PA or solid state amp, only OK into a tube amp.
Quote by Yngwi3
It will help you shape it more yes - I think it would be a good buy for the Cube as you really need to tweak it lots to get a great tone out of one. I don't think it would sound better with the Metal Muff that you've got though - Modelling amps + dist/OD pedals normally don't mix too well.

+1 Listen to Yngwi3.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I would go with an MXR EQ pedal compared to the F&C...simply because it's got better parts and is in a metal case. I also found the F&C to be a little noisy for my taste, (but I'm fairly picky when it comes to audio...)

EQs are nice to have and can do quite a bit of good to your sound when used correctly.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 16, 2008,
there's no such thing as making a tone better or worse, only making it more suited to what you want. in that sense, an eq is always useful, because it increases your shaping options massively. additionally, using an eq with a distortion/overdrive stompbox is pretty much always good.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
i have a Cube 60 as well, and i have no problems with the EQ at all. and i play heavy stuff as well, and when i say heavy i dont mean hair metal. I'm playing Nile, Behemoth, Bloodbath, Dream Theater, Trivium, Amon Amarth, Death, and other stuff perfectly fine.

and if you go Guitar -> Metal Muff -> EQ ->Cube
its going to sound like crap like yngwi said, you're better off just running the EQ straight to the Cube without the MM.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Thanks people, I'm definitely gonna pick one up and test it out. I play a lot of heavy stuff, and I seem to get a very "tinny" sound out of my cube. I get some good distortion out of my AX5G actually...