My first guitar (Epiphone Les Paul 100) has crappy tuners, awful bridge pickup, boring looks, bad knobs, weak bolt on neck... and i love it!

I have a $1100 Washburn, but still i keep returning to the LP.

So lets find a new bridge pickup and some tuners eh?

Lets keep it under 130 Euro and from thomann.de
Pickup should be fit for eighties thrash metal.

NOTE: Pickup change means potentionmeter change as well.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Last edited by perkristian876 at Apr 17, 2008,
Is something wrong with you? LP100 sounds really bad. I guess getting new pickups would be a somewhat good idea...
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by black-sabbath
Is something wrong with you? LP100 sounds really bad. I guess getting new pickups would be a somewhat good idea...

Yeah, i know that. I just bought a really expensive Marshall, so i can't afford a new guitar yet. That's why i'm replacing a pup.

The neck pup ain't horrible thoug... Has a nice tint to it.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
if your gunno play alot of trash id say emg 81 or if you want to stay passive i would say dizmario super distortion or seymour duncan jb
i had one of those when i first started, i put a JB and '59 set in and it sounded great for what i had paid for it.
Links would be greatly appreciated.
I'm planning on getting an LP100 around June for my first electric, how bad is the tuning problem?
Normally I would suggest EMG pups... but putting them in that guitar just feels wrong.
Most tuning problems are caused simply by bad set-up, or by band re-stringing. Almost all tuning problems, I find, can be solved simply be re-stringing the guitar correctly, or failing that, having it properly set-up. I've yet to actually come across any guitar - even ones lower than the LP-100 - that couldn't have their tuning problems solved just by doing that. So before you go spending money on new tuners, try just fixing up your guitar as it is, properly. You might not have to buy new tuners at all.

As for pickups, I'd go with a SD JB model in the bridge, and I agree that the stock Epi neck pickup is actually alright enough to be going on with for the meantime.
Quote by bokuho
Most tuning problems are caused simply by bad set-up, or by band re-stringing. Almost all tuning problems, I find, can be solved simply be re-stringing the guitar correctly, or failing that, having it properly set-up. I've yet to actually come across any guitar - even ones lower than the LP-100 - that couldn't have their tuning problems solved just by doing that. So before you go spending money on new tuners, try just fixing up your guitar as it is, properly. You might not have to buy new tuners at all.

As for pickups, I'd go with a SD JB model in the bridge, and I agree that the stock Epi neck pickup is actually alright enough to be going on with for the meantime.

Thanks dude, but i know how to string a guitar. No matter how much string is on the tuner, how little (with a tie) or how i tune it. It still gets untuned desperately fast. Even by pulling the strings i can see the tuner moving.
If you want insane output on a passive pickup, go the Dimarzio X2N.
It's insane.
Or if you want just a nice balanced, chunky pickup, the Seymour Duncan JB might be your thing.

Tuner wise, go for some Grovers or Gotohs.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by Is_6_9?
I'm planning on getting an LP100 around June for my first electric, how bad is the tuning problem?
Don't, save up and get the Epi Standard instead, it's much better.
Quote by umbrellacorp
tom morello that bitch

^ Talking about how high to play your guitar.
Quote by perkristian876
Thanks dude, but i know how to string a guitar. No matter how much string is on the tuner, how little (with a tie) or how i tune it. It still gets untuned desperately fast. Even by pulling the strings i can see the tuner moving.
Damn, that sounds awful. I've had a few low-end Epis in my time and the tuners have never been that bad.... oh well.

Grovers are the obvious choices. There's a few different variations and colour options, so links are a bit redundant - just search 'Grover' on thomann and all the options come up.

And yes, one of those pickups is a JB. The other is a Jazz - you're paying for the set.

I wouldn't bother with that myself.

So, tuners (hope that link worked...), and JB pickup (again, hope that link works.. it's always shakey posting links to search results). Pick whichever colours you like and you'd be good to go.
Quote by Is_6_9?

Well... They aren't horrible.

The guitar is awesome, i couldn't have made a better choise. Action is perfect, body gives great sound and pickups aren't too bad.

My guitar is kinda a one out of a thousand case with cheap guitars. Earth links problems and everything, but this is common with cheap guitars.

Cheap epiphone's are kinda known for their horrible tuners. But they are easily changed, even if you never have touched a electric guitar.

EDIT: have to add that only two tuners can be seen moving whilst pulling the string. And i have to pull hard :P Its like these tuners have recieved to much oil.