I recently noticed a tab of mine was given a one star (I assume) and it only had 5 star reviews before. This brought it down a star and the rater also left a comment "not even close."

I noticed a new tab for that particular song had recently been added (by the rater) and it was in Powertab format (mine was standard). It was almost the same except it was missing half the notes and guitars in many parts. Basically, it would have been the tab I made had I not dissected the song with an audio editor. Everything is almost the same except he is missing many hammer ons, pull offs, and basically just submitted a dumbed down version of mine. He likely copied mine or possibly tabbed it himself... but either way his rating/comment is obviously just an attempt to get more people to look at his.

I don't mean to sound like a bitch but it just seems very petty... I'm not sure if anything can be done about this sort of thing and I guess it doesn't matter that much. Maybe I just needed to rant. You guys have similar experiences?
well, nothing can really be done about it, sorry. if they really did do it just to get people to look at their tab, which from the description you gave, seems like the reason, then that's just awful.
Quote by allstar21369
I recently noticed a tab of mine was given a one star (I assume) and it only had 5 star reviews before. This brought it down a star and the rater also left a comment "not even close."

I noticed a new tab for that particular song had recently been added (by the rater) and it was in Powertab format (mine was standard). It was almost the same except it was missing half the notes and guitars in many parts. Basically, it would have been the tab I made had I not dissected the song with an audio editor. Everything is almost the same except he is missing many hammer ons, pull offs, and basically just submitted a dumbed down version of mine. He likely copied mine or possibly tabbed it himself... but either way his rating/comment is obviously just an attempt to get more people to look at his.

I don't mean to sound like a bitch but it just seems very petty... I'm not sure if anything can be done about this sort of thing and I guess it doesn't matter that much. Maybe I just needed to rant. You guys have similar experiences?

Of course something can be done about things like this. The question is, should something be done in this case?

I would suggest that you send a Personal Message to Emad.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/emad/
He's a CC on UG and he knows a good bit about rules and procedures regarding tabs. Have him look at this thread and give him any additional information you think will be helpful, such as the name and links to the tabs you're speaking of.

He can probably initiate the proper responses or he may ask you to contact Dyuha
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/dyuha
Dyuha is an Administrator (That's an extremely powerful staff position.)
But please don't bother Dyuha until after you've spoken with Emad, first.
If Emad can handle this all on his own, that will be better than bothering someone who will be much busier with site management.

What you've described sounds like unacceptable behaviour. If it actually turns out to be that way, the staff here does want to know about things like this. This will probably take a bit of time to get sorted. Please be patient and polite during the process.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^Thanks to SYK,
And if you think your tab is unfairly rated,go to this page:
http://my.ultimate-guitar.com/main.php?mode=contributions
And see who recently rate your tab(s) and report him/her to me.I'll check your tab and try to fix your rating

Also you can block that user and then he/she would not be able to rate any of your contributions,anymore

Remember everyone!

Abusing rate system=Warning/Banning
Quote by zappp
emad I'm gonna ban you, seriously.
Quote by emad
^Thanks to SYK,
And if you think your tab is unfairly rated,go to this page:
http://my.ultimate-guitar.com/main.php?mode=contributions
And see who recently rate your tab(s) and report him/her to me.I'll check your tab and try to fix your rating

Also you can block that user and then he/she would not be able to rate any of your contributions,anymore

Remember everyone!

Abusing rate system=Warning/Banning
I'm taking notes here, to pass on to others who ask. This is good stuff!
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Any mod (with access to the program) can delete votes
Been away, am back