i was looking to get some straplocks put on my guitar, but i dont know which ones are the best. as far as i can tell, they all cost pretty much the same so i was wondering which ones to get.

also, whats the difference between the original dunlop straplocks and the dual design straplocks?

thanks
there are 2 main types really
you get simple very cheap ones that are like discs that slip onto your strap pins and twist and lock nothing fancy but they do the job and very cheap

then you get the mroe expensive ones which are basically replacement strap pins with a bit that attached to your strap and a replacement pin and they two physically lock together holding you strap in placxe

nothing wrong with cheap strap locks do the job just loook rather unsightly
Eric Clapton uses the cheap strap locks... and a Ernie Ball Polypro strap...
schallers are the best because even if you don't fully lock in place the guitar is held in place. Just put thread lock on the strap screw to keep it in place. That's optional though, mine are staying without any problems.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 16, 2008,
I have the DiMarzio ones on my strat and im probably getting a set for my ibanez. theyre great if you dont mind messing up the stock stuff.
Quote by moody07747
schallers (sp?) are the best because even if you don't fully lock in place the guitar is held in place. Just put thread lock on the strap screw to keep it in place. That's optional though, mine are staying without any problems.

+1

The Schaller straplocks are amazing.
They're only $20 too.
thanks guys. the schallers sound best so far, so i think i might get those.
I've bought the cheapo Dunlop discs, and they're great, if a little frustrating to get on without them popping off the first few times.

Feeling really cheap? Duct tape over the strap's slits works too.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I have the dual designs on my LP. The strap has never slipped off (except when it fell off the strap-sh*tty strats FTL). I bought a better strap later, and it works greatly.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have Dual Designs on all of my guitars except my Tele, which has Schallers. I'm not sure which ones I like better...the schallers look dumb on the strap, but seem firmer, while the dunlops looks better but just don't feel quite as safe as the schallers. It's all preference, really.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone answered, but the dual design means that if the strap with the pins in it isn't around, a normal strap will still fit on the button.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
^not to mention the dual design strap buttons are pretty big.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Total waste of money...as any gigging musician knows, the rubber ring from a Grolsch bottle will do the job just as well.

Here's an excellent Google Images find to illustrate the point:

Quote by kyle62
Total waste of money...as any gigging musician knows, the rubber ring from a Grolsch bottle will do the job just as well.

Here's an excellent Google Images find to illustrate the point:

+1

or a metal washer works great
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
my votes for the shallers.i have the dunlop one on one of my lps and they feel unsafe but i have the shallers on my other lp and it so much safer,there on my rhoads too. ts pretty much personal opinion but i got one set of gold shallers for $33.95 (AUD),one set of nickle one for free and a set of black dunlop ones for $40.00 (AUD)
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

I use Shallers on everything, im a bass guitarist aswell. i've never droped a bass with shallers, so i promise you they can take the wheight.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
I've pretty much always used Dunlops. I give each one a tug before I pick the guitar up as it's easy to not insert them all way.

I'm seriously considering switching to eye bolts and carabiners.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I used to use metal washers, until I realized that it's a pain not being able to ever take the strap off your guitar. Now I use Schallers. I like them.