i have a roland cube 30x and would like to be able to shape my sounds more if possible i find the 3 band eq ok but would like to shape it more if possible

i'm guessing an eq pedal is the best way to do this
what are the best eq pedals to go for?
an MXR 10-band EQ would probably be the best. Its the biggest i know of. Altho i have seen rack EQs with around 35 bands.
yeah i've had a look at the mxr 10 band looks alright has volume and gain levels on it too which seem quite useful. is it significantly better than smaller eq like the 7 band boss one? as this is nearly half the price
I would stick with the MXR, they make a smaller EQ pedal as well for cheaper but I would tend to get the higher priced model just to have those features if you ever need them...

Boss makes ok EQ pedals but i really feel the MXRs are best for the price.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/compare?base_pid=151120&base_pid=151103&base_pid=151115
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 16, 2008,
Quote by symanoy
yeah i've had a look at the mxr 10 band looks alright has volume and gain levels on it too which seem quite useful. is it significantly better than smaller eq like the 7 band boss one? as this is nearly half the price

i've never trusted Boss for some really stupid reason that i dont know of...
but if you want cheap...

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-EQ700-7-Band-Graphic-Equalizer/dp/B000MJ9E92/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1208387240&sr=8-9
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
The barber eq is great plus it has three amp voicings to choose from. Silver face, black face and marshall stack.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
i've heard good things about the danelectro Fish n' Chips EQ

its only like $26 i believe
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
Quote by Retardwitguitar
i've heard good things about the danelectro Fish n' Chips EQ

its only like $26 i believe

$30 + shipping.
i think.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
looks cheap and cheerful
i've never used any danelectro pedals before are they any good??
Quote by symanoy
looks cheap and cheerful

i've heard a lot of good things about the fish & chips, almost no complaints, but i've never used it, a lot of people around here have them or have used them.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by symanoy
looks cheap and cheerful

i've heard a lot of good things about the fish & chips, almost no complaints, but i've never used it, a lot of people around here have them or have used them.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Go for a quality eq. A good one really has a lot to do with your tone. The fish @ Chips just didn't cut it compared to the more expensive ones.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
Go for a quality eq. A good one really has a lot to do with your tone. The fish @ Chips just didn't cut it compared to the more expensive ones.

There's no point spending over $100 on an EQ when your amp only cost $200 - the Fish and Chips will be more than adequate.

I'm a firm believer in quality gear myself, but you need to be practical too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Is the guy going to be stuck with the same amp the rest of his life. A decent eq will last a lifetime.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
Is the guy going to be stuck with the same amp the rest of his life. A decent eq will last a lifetime.

It's still pointless to buy one now, it'd just be a waste of money - he can get something that will do exactly the same job for a lot less money at this point in time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

There no such thing as a dan electro doing (As you quote it exactly the same job) There is no comparrison and for you to tell him that is just plain wrong. Sorry but thats the way I feel
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
ye i wont have the cube forever, i;d rather get something decent that i can use with whatever amp i go on to use.
it all depends if its worth paying over double for the mxr if the fish and chips will do the job nearly as well and is reliable and will last a while. i have no problem paying more if i am getting a significantly bette product though.
Quote by modernp
There no such thing as a dan electro doing (As you quote it exactly the same job) There is no comparrison and for you to tell him that is just plain wrong. Sorry but thats the way I feel

The effect a pedal's going to have on the sound is determined by the amp it's plugged into, something like a Cube isn't going to reflect the nuances and enhanced quality of a boutique pedal as I'm sure you're aware. Sorry to say it, but you're coming across as a bit of a snob on this one.

Horses for courses.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Cheap EQ: Dano F&C
Slightly higher priced EQ: MXR 10-Band or 6-Band

The Boss EQ is really really noisy.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
The Boss EQ is way overpriced.

Modernp you are an idiot. The Fish & Chips is a fantastic pedal especially for the price. The only gripe I have with it is it's plastic case. Therefore, I would not recommend it if you're gigging TS.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
The Boss EQ is way overpriced.

Modernp you are an idiot. The Fish & Chips is a fantastic pedal especially for the price. The only gripe I have with it is it's plastic case. Therefore, I would not recommend it if you're gigging TS.
Thanks for calling me an idiot. If you took the time to a/b the fish and chips to lets say even an mxr 10 band there is a noticeable difference in the tone.Buy a decent eq don't listen to these guys that don't take the time to compare products. The Barber is still a phenomenal eq for a $140.00 Just remember with effects you get what you pay for. Quality effects will last you a lifetime and if they do break they can be fixed by the maker.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
You're welcome for calling you an idiot. You shouldn't judge people and their musical ability by their age, because they can be more talented than you. Haven't you ever heard of the Jonas Brothers?
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
You're welcome for calling you an idiot. You shouldn't judge people and their musical ability by their age, because they can be more talented than you. Haven't you ever heard of the Jonas Brothers?

Now whose sounding like an idiot and when did I judge your musical talent, Geesh lighten up. By the way I did think the music you were doing sounded pretty decent.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
Now whose sounding like an idiot and when did I judge your musical talent, Geesh lighten up. By the way I did think the music you were doing sounded pretty decent.

Yeah I know I was just kidding about the Jonas Brother's.
Quote by doggy_hat