An interface for one. You'll need something like a guitar to USB cable and whatnot.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
never seen one go into a laptop but I have seen mine go into a keyboard...u may need a midi adapter cable.
you need a special cord that is the right size to fit into the laptop (mine is the mic outlet)
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
Quote by jbyrd
never seen one go into a laptop but I have seen mine go into a keyboard...u may need a midi adapter cable.

You can buy various adapters for computers, something like the Line6 Toneport GX or whatever; all the toneports are USB interfaces. Or you could get a microphone and plug into the line in on your laptop if it has one.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
a cable and a little 1/4 => 1/8" adapter.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Quote by jbyrd

That goes from the amp to the computer, or direct from the guitar jack to the computer?
I could add that a plain guitar-signal through mic/line-in is really weak, and could use a DI-Box before being useful.

Also, if you are considering regularly using your guitar through a computer, you might want to invest in some more 'professional' tools like an M-Audio Fast Track

Know that, when you want to use DSP effects etc on your guitar signal, you'll need an ASIO-supporting soundcard. This allows you to set the latency minimal, so you don't experience (a lot of) delay between playing and hearing.
Quote by HeliuM
a cable and a little 1/4 => 1/8" adapter.

What he said ^^

Guitar Rig baby \o/
Gear:
- Yamaha RGX121D in black
- Schecter C1 in white
- Marshall Valvestate 8080
- Roland Cube 20x
- Zoom G1X
- Guitar Rig 3 (for practicing )
Quote by Vulg4r
First off you definetly need a guitar and a laptop.

XD
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
I have a follow-up to the original question. First off I know nothing about "midi" stuff and not too much about computers in general, so bear with me. Are you guys saying you can plug a guitar into a computer and hear it through the speakers? Do you need special software? Does the guitar go through the amp and from there connect to the computer?

Quote by jt51
get a 1/4"->1/8" adapter or a 1/4"->1/8" cable

And then it goes into which port? Does it need software?
Here's another thing. I would like to connect a guitar to the computer (assuming I figure out how that works ), and then have software that converts what I play into sheet music. Not tabs but the real thing. Is there a program that does this?
You need to get a Line 6 Toneport GX, unless you want one of the more expensive ones. I can't help you with your sheet music question though. I don't know if such a program exists.
To the last question:
No, that's virtually impossible.

edit: after reading the post below, indeed, you could get a MIDI interface for your guitar, but that wouldn't be the cheapest
Last edited by sanderd at Apr 17, 2008,
Quote by jt51
get a 1/4"->1/8" adapter or a 1/4"->1/8" cable

that is all you need if you already have a program (such as garageband if you're a Mac user) however, if you're not a mac user, you will probably need something like a toneport by Line 6
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Chorduroy
And then it goes into which port? Does it need software?

It goes into the Mic In port. I use guitar rig but you can use audacity too which is free recording software.
How do I get rid of the delay? I just want to play through my computer with music but this delay is crapping it...

BTW my guitar is plugged into my Boss GT-8 then into my comp.

Thanks in advance
Je parle français, excusez mon language inaproprié quand je m'exprime en anglais.

may i recomend (its also a multi-fx pedal) the zoom g2.1u. itts do the job and u can also add patches that make your guitar sound exactly like any of your fav artists.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
An external sound card to lose the delay, because the built in sound cards usually suck (well atlest my does ). Well that's what the guys at my local guitar shop said.
I run my guitar straight into a Line 6 UX1 toneport. The toneport then connects to my laptop via USB.

To help with the latency issues you can plug your speakers/headphones into the toneport and it acts like an external soundcard.

It also came with Ableton Lite recording software, and a Line 6 amp modeller.
Quote by isuckatguitar18
ok, take a picture of your guitar, then upload the pic on to your computer

I cannot believe you bumped a two year old thread to say absolutely nothing.
Which isn't even funny.

*reported*
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0