I've been playing a few weeks now and have surprised myself with how well I can switch chords and my strumming is coming along, but although I start with my pick held properly, I find as I strum away, it rarely stays there, and I end up with loads of it poking out, and more often than not holding either with both fingers 1 and 2 or just finger 2. Should I force myself to only play holding with finger 1 until I get better at it, or doesn't it really matter? Also, what about those picks that actually fit over your finger like a ring? Will they help me, or is that cheating. I have no nails at all, so finger picking isn't really an option at the moment.
you should hold the pick on your first finger at the end with pointing towards your nail and then your thumb over the top. you'll get the best speed and accuracy with this, you'll probably need to get used to it first though so you'll drop in ability for a day or two.
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
The picks that go over your thumb are called thumb picks. They're used a lot in fingerstyle to play independant bass lines. They're not really a substitute for flat-picks.
Quote by Jaudio-stang
They're not really a substitute for flat-picks.

Tell that to Tommy Emanuel.

TS: Holding the pick properly is something you have to come to with experience; I've been playing for somewhere in the region of 3-4 years and have changed my grip on the pick too many times to count since I started in order to find the perfect grip for me; it's quite a personal thing really and no one can tell you how to do it you just have to come to it yourself. The only really important thing to make sure of is that you're not gripping too hard because that could introduce a huge amount of extra tension into your hand and arm which could lead to problems down the line.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Can anyone point me to any online strumming lessons that are less about keeping rhythm and more about actual strumming technique and practice drills etc.

For instance I can play all the chords to Wonderwall, but to get the rhythm is impossible for me because I can't move my pick up and down the strings that quick without it all going horribly wrong. I know its all probably practice, but I wondered if there were any good practice drills or technique tips I could use to improve this particular skill
Get a metronome and practice strumming quarter notes, eight notes, sixteenth...then vary it up and miss the upbeat, or mute on the down beat...after awhile the different rhythms will be second nature and ull play looser, in the end allowing you to play quicker...im not a teacher so i prob just confused you more, but this is how my teacher tought me strumming
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Tell that to Tommy Emanuel.
The only really important thing to make sure of is that you're not gripping too hard because that could introduce a huge amount of extra tension into your hand and arm which could lead to problems down the line.

This is the thing - I can play nice and loose if I hold the pick with the second finger, but if I try and play loose with the first finger, the pick just slips out of my grip.

Probably doesn't help that I'm left handed yet play right handed. I've not learned how to hold a pen properly in 31 years, so not sure why I expect to be able to strum a guitar in 3 weeks
Quote by Kevin T
This is the thing - I can play nice and loose if I hold the pick with the second finger, but if I try and play loose with the first finger, the pick just slips out of my grip.

Probably doesn't help that I'm left handed yet play right handed. I've not learned how to hold a pen properly in 31 years, so not sure why I expect to be able to strum a guitar in 3 weeks

That's fine, plenty of players use their second fingers to hold the pick: EVH, Glen Drover...probably many others but those are the only two I can think of right now. Like i said the important thing is that you're comfortable with how you hold it and that you don't drop the pick; beyond that it doesn't really matter that much.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.