The Standard Plus costs $100 more, but is it just a nicer paint job? The pickups look the same, does anyone know if they are? different tuner knobs maybe, but thats the only difference I can tell since I haven't played them... Anyone played them in comparison? sound the same?
Yeah, the only difference is in the top. The Standard Plus models tend to have more flame in the maple, and a wider range of options in terms of colour. However, the wood, pickups and all the other hardware is the same, so there isn't much difference in the sound apart from the usual guitar to guitar variability.

I think the difference is the top. not sure what its made of but the plus top has something else...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by Jiminem2
The Standard Plus costs $100 more, but is it just a nicer paint job? The pickups look the same, does anyone know if they are? different tuner knobs maybe, but thats the only difference I can tell since I haven't played them... Anyone played them in comparison? sound the same?

They're pretty much the same thing, I wouldn't bother paying extra.

The Plain Top's are also very nice for the price i'd check those out.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413

Really good value Epiphone. I have a standard plus which is great but i've noticed no difference between this and some other plain tops and various standard Les Pauls, so just choose the one that plays and sounds best as an individual guitar.

Just make sure to try out the guitar before buying.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Apr 16, 2008,
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus cherry sunburst finish, and it is my main guitar. I love it! I got it around Christmas time, and I got it 40% off. I could've gotten a Goldtop for the same price, I'm kind of kicking myself for not, but oh well.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.