I was in my school's music room and it was the first time I've seen an upright bass and I really wanted to play it.

Was the first time I've played a fretless instrument, and the tone was amazing. I loved the sound and the look.

So, whats the cheapest upright bass i could get to start learning? Also I assume I would need lessons, so has anyone ever had experience with upright lessons, info or opinions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.
I would hire one from college or an instrument hiring agency first.

Double basses are expensive (easily in excess of $2,000) and you might not get on with them.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
The cheapest ones are off eBay, and even then, there's no guarantee about their quality and their shipping prices are typically appropriately ridiculous.

However, electric uprights, notably the NS Designs WAV4, are cheaper and reliable "substitutes", but they're still about $1000.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I played a Dean electric upright once. I didn't think it was terrible. However, take this into account. I'm not an upright player, so I don't really know what is good and what isn't.
Upright bass is an entirely different beast. It's a lot more strict than electric bass. Your hand position has to be EXACTLY right, or you'll be out of tune all the time. You have to be able to sight read really. You've gotta be able to look at a piece of music and know what position to be in to get as far as possible without moving.

You can't reach into things, cos you'll be out of tune. Bowing will be weird for you, as you'll just be starting, and it definately takes a while to get used to it.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by IndianRockStar
I played a Dean electric upright once. I didn't think it was terrible. However, take this into account. I'm not an upright player, so I don't really know what is good and what isn't.

The Dean Pace Bass is also a 35" scale instrument and therefore should be avoided like a $3000 95-year old hooker.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
The Dean Pace Bass is also a 35" scale instrument and therefore should be avoided like a $3000 95-year old hooker.

Exactly. Shows my lack of knowledge on the stuff. The cheapest upright I've seen is around 800-900 so it is a big commitment to make.
'Cheap' and 'upright bass' don't really go together. My upright is upwards of two grand and still plays and sounds like garbage. The pro-level uprights are very, very expensive.

But, as mentioned above, an EUB can be a passable replacement if you need that (somewhat) upright sound cheap.
I get the idea this isn't something for someone wililng to invest a whole lotta time and money.

Ah well, can always mooch off the school one.

But, do all fretless basses sound like that? Or similar? Or is it a tone exclusive to an upright?
a fretless electric kinda comes inbetween each tone i think. you can get..."close"... with an electric and the right equipment/amp. but when you play it next to the real thing there'll be no doubt which one is which.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
fretless and upright are very different. and for a half decent beginner upright your looking at about 1500 - 2000. They are not Cheap at all. Look at engalhart (i think thats how its spelled) they sell some decent upright beginner basses.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I've been playing upright for about 6 years now (*counts in head... yep 6*) and I have yet to buy one. I've always rented. I've found that I can get a good quality bass for $40 a semester instead of having to dish up 3 grand. I plan to buy an upright sometime in the near future (before college) simply because I want to be able to play it with my band.

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
i'm kinda amped cause i think i might get to play upright bass in my schools jazz band if the band professor is cool with it...but i've played fretless bass and thats just fun. i figure that you have to know the instrument well enough before hand so that you actually know what notes you're hitting by pitch