I have a Squire Strat by fender guitar, and I seem to always get a clicking noise through the amp, any one know why? And how to fix it?
are you using the starter amp that came with it?
this might be the problem. Maybe you need a new amp. Check the settings aswell.
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
Nah Im using a marshall MG30 DFX, non of the settings seem to make any differnce, its been doing it for ages, and ive just got to the point where its driving me insane, seems to happen more if the volume on the guitar isnt set to full.... and when the pickup selector is in the first or last position...
what type of clicking? i know i had a clicking sound and then realised that my pickups were picking up my watch.
It's just a constant clicking, it will happen even if im not physically touching the guitar... it's quite fast,
Are you playing near a TV? It's the single coils most likely. Try using a guitar with humbuckers.
Last edited by Phat Stud 55 at Apr 16, 2008,
I dont have another guitar, is there a way of preventing it? Or do i just have to tolerate?
Quote by Phat Stud 55
It's the single coils most likely. Try using a guitar with humbuckers.

absolute bollocks

might be that the guitar isnt grounded properly, or some wires are loose

how long have you been playing? probably get a new guitar. squier's suck
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Haha, thanks for the advice, while I save up my pennies is it worth to trying to gruond it properly or am I just going to electrocute myself? And I've been playing for a couple of years now, tho I'm still really a begginer :-)
with the grounding, its realy just a case of opening it up and checking everything's connected.

its probably worth going for a bit more than 200. the alternative is buy some new pickups.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
If it's clicking even when you're not touching the guitar, it's nothing to do with grounding. My guess is a mobile phone in your pocket, or else a watch or other electronic device.

If not, have you tried using different guitars/leads/pedals/amps to isolate the problem? That's always the first thing you should do, even if you have to borrow stuff from your mates.
^bingo was his name-oh.

i'd say first swap out the guitar cable.

then make sure nothing in the room is causing this effect.
in other words, move to another room and see.

also, shield the guitar cavity. buy some self adhesive copper foil, and take the guard off. line the cavity with overlapping foil. and it will quiet down for you.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I have replaced the cables, and it doesnt seem to have any effect, I've also changed rooms, and nothing helps, and I tried just then taking my mobile phone out of the room but it didnt make any difference at all, and thanks ill try the foil thing :-)
turn on ur amp with out the lead plugged in..
if it still happends...it must be ur amp then.
If not...i have no clue...other wise its ur guitar. =\
The amp makes no sound when the guitar isnt plugged in, must be my guitar... *sigh* best start saving those pennies....
nah dont worry. if you learn how to set up and shield that squier properly, it'll play better and sound quieter.

sometimes tossing a humbucker, full or single sized into the bridge is a big help too.

try to find one used. they are all over the place for around $35.
it'll be a tonal improvement, and will make less noise. especially if when you have it open, you foil line the cavities and run a ground wire to the foil.

i had a clicking on my 62' RI players strat. when even i lightly brushed the neck plate.
used to drive me nuts. i finally got around to shielding the guitar a little better. it's as quiet as a mouse now.
i think i used about $10 worth of tape. (stewmac.com) and it took me about 15 mins.

you can even use heavy aluminum foil and hardware store adhesive. i've never tried it, but it's supposed to work fine too, as long as you overlap the strips. guitarnuts.com has a tutorial.

but it's a little over done. it's actually much easier than they write up. so dont get scared off.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011