well im thinking about staying in the dorms... im going to be in state and i really only wanna do it for the bit of independance and the "college experience" you get. the moneys there to do it etc. now my mom wants me to write her a page essay on why she should let me... and she wants me to list the pros and cons. and i need some help thinking of them. as mature as i am i still do some stupid stuff some times and i see where she's coming from. and by stupid stuff, i used to smoke pot regularly, party, and that kind of jazz. so basically i just need a little help thinking about some PROS and CONS.
I'd say push the "I won't be around to annoy you!/you won't have to clean up after me!" side of the argument...
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Pro:

You get a roommate

Con:

This roommate may be a 500 pound diabetic (almost happened to me)
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
um, if youre old enough to go to college, you should be old enough to decide on your own that you want to live in the dorms

unless your mom is paying for your college, and she threatens not to pay for it then thats a different story.

tell her she needs to let go and let you grow up. ask her how you are supposed to function in the real world after college if she doesnt let you grow up and expierence it?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Pros:

You've already said independance.
You get qualifications.
Give her time alone so her and your dad can have sexy time.(put this first!!!)

Cons:

None

Seriously, why would she make you write a report? Just tell her you want to go to college. If she cares about your future (and isn't worried about the cost) then she'll let you.
Pull a Breakfast Club anding

Instead of writing the essay, write something about how you learned about social divisions and how it makes you a better person
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
NoLaurelTree000, she is paying for it and NO CASH=NO DORM.
its due when ever. but im trying to get it done tonight.
and i'd apreciate people not being douche's about doing this for my mom.
she is giving me 60+grand for schooling i think she deserves a little respect.
Find ways to prove to her that you're a mature guy.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
Pro:

You get a roommate

Con:

or a Korean Canadian who pisses on your toilet seat eats all your food (including homeade) mooches off your cable and only pays half what he owes after he told you he was getting a 42 inch HD and dodge charger uses all your dishes and then tells you you should clean them cause theyre starting to smell

my first roomate failed out, he was the beeeeest though he bought an electric drumkit so we could jam on res it was so goooooood

just go for it if you can, even if it doesnt work out, you'll never have to wonder, just tell your mom that
Last edited by MarioBlaster17 at Apr 16, 2008,
And I thought my parents were whacked.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
first off, dont write an essay, just say you want to talk.
second, dont give any cons, let her do that part.
for the pros, say everything everyone else was saying on here and add in that having a roommate will teach you how to get along with people better in the future. also, say that living on campus right by the library makes studying and getting homework done really easy.
if you're cool with being around people all the time, dorm life is really fun. You get to meet a really diverse crowd of awesome people and gain independent life skills that you just can't get from living at home.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
Pro:

You get a roommate

Con:

Lol!
I would say you should tell her all about the things you will learn. Like independence, doing you're own laundry, managing your time on your own, learning to take care of yourself, etc..

as for cons, acknowledge that the new experiences can prompt you to fail. You may not be used to being on your own and you could screw up...etc..

also, I disagree with whoever said not to list any cons. Your mom didnt say why should I let you go to a dorm, she said she wanted pros and cons. Being biased in your favor in many ways weakens your argument. My advice, start with the cons, then counter balance them with pros.
Living in a dorm will def. help you get into your college's social life. On the other hand, it might be harder to focus on school. It's also hella expensive especially if your alternative is living at home.

Living in rez will also give you a head start on becoming independent. You know, cleaning your room, planning your time, not writing essays for your ****ing mom.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Cons:
Money (why has nobody said that?)
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
Quote by iforgot539
Cons:
Money (why has nobody said that?)

I have no idea, I guess everyone's assuming that his mom is more than happy to pay the thousands of dollars it cost to stay in a dorm.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
If commuting from your house to the school isn't a big deal, I definitely recommend staying home.

Reasons why dorm life sucks:

1. You save tens of thousands of dollars if you live at home.
2. Dorms are filthy and disgusting. Think about it: generations of nonchalant teenagers reusing the same facilities over and over again... Don't expect a clean bathroom.
3. Depending on the average level of intelligence your peers in school have, you may find yourself being annoyed to death day and night by idiots howling at all hours.
4. Food. Unless you go to culinary school, expect food that is just above barely edible.

I'm only a high school senior, but I have stayed overnight in college dorms on many occasions. It is not pleasant, and it's not worth the vague "social benefits" you'd get if you lived in a dorm. You don't have to live with your friends to see them.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Metalcoresoul
I have no idea, I guess everyone's assuming that his mom is more than happy to pay the thousands of dollars it cost to stay in a dorm.

I said it in the post right before his.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by slap-a-bass
she's making you write an essay?

how about you sit down and talk about it like adults

Bingo bango.

College is a time when mommies transition from having a child at home to having a child in the real world.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
i got to university
im from the UK

i stayed in halls of residence in my first year and it was really great...well the people above us were SO annoying....we got them evicted in the end

now im living in a house for my second year with the people i shared with last year

and next year...im moving into another house with my best uni friend
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Pro:

Out of her hair, get to mature into an adult, get to experience "the real world" in a smaller setting than just being thrown into it.

Con:

You may end up with a cross-dressing and bisexual roommate who wakes you up while still in drag. (which sucks when you didn't even know he was a cross dresser until then). Other than that, there aren't really any cons... you can either do something stupid as a student (Which is expected and usually dismissed) or you can do something stupid in the "real world" when you gain your freedom later and be prosecuted for it because you aren't a student.
**** SAKE I JUST ****ING TYPED A HUGE ESSAY AND THE DAMN WINDOW FROZE

2. Dorms are filthy and disgusting. Think about it: generations of nonchalant teenagers reusing the same facilities over and over again... Don't expect a clean bathroom.
3. Depending on the average level of intelligence your peers in school have, you may find yourself being annoyed to death day and night by idiots howling at all hours.
4. Food. Unless you go to culinary school, expect food that is just above barely edible.

1)yeah but you wont always be living at home. Youll need to get out an experience the real world at some point.

2)The dorms arent THAT filthy. Its like moving into a house where someones already lived before. Plus theres cleaners.. AND you could always do it yourself. Shock HORROR

3)Thats not always true, might be. But once you start your course you'll make your own friends, so you can go to theirs ans just use yours to sleep in. Plus its only for a year

4)Not true. buy yourself a student cookbook and learn to cook for yourself. Youll need to in the future. Mummys not always gonna be ther for you

Im in my secon year at university (college) and its great. i love being so independant
Don't most colleges require that first years stay in dorms? UVa does.

Plus, your mom can't baby you forever. You need to break free, make mistakes, and live your own life now.
Last edited by colin617 at Apr 17, 2008,
exactly

PLUS i dunno about in the USA

in the UK you get student loans...........except i dont..my dad at the time earnt too much ¬¬
My essay to my mom would say "**** you I am an adult now. Bye"
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by Xiaoxi
If commuting from your house to the school isn't a big deal, I definitely recommend staying home.

Reasons why dorm life sucks:

Words of wisdom.

More reasons:

1. For me, I wasn't "allowed" to have girls in my room. WHAT THE ****?!
2. For the first time in my life I experienced two things:

- intestinal parasites, which I discovered LIVING in my CRAP!!
- Athlete's Foot

3. I had pretty much every movie in my collection stolen. Yah you can lock your doors, etc, etc, it happened anyway.
4. I discovered the wonders of Asian food because the garbage they fed me at the dorm made me feel like I had cancer or something.

If I ate nothing but rice and broccoli I could get out of bed in the morning!

Overall it was a horrific experience, and a year of my life was basically flushed down the toilet.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

I wish I was smart to go to college then I could live somewhere else.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
Words of wisdom.

More reasons:

t.

WTF
i was in a mixed flat
I'd push the whole college experience thing. I am just finishing my freshman year at ASU, I lived in the dorms and i had friends who would live at home and drive there. You meet so many more people living on campus. My suitemate has become a really close friend of mine and I am living with him next year, someone I probably never would have met if i had lived at home. Also you are way more likely to be involved in all of the activities that the school, or your dorm is having.

My friends that live at home, have to schedule all their classes together in the morning, since they have no place to go between classes and then they just go back home and do nothing the rest of the day. I sort of think of it as my friends take classes at ASU, while I attend and am a part of ASU.

Ya there are parties and stuff (especially at ASU) but your parents are just gonna have to trust you that you'll be responsible. And yes you can still go party and be responsible. Hopefully they will see that the good outweighs the bad.
Good Luck!

PS. And don't listen to the guy who is giving reasons not to live in the dorms. They are not that dirty, depending on which dorm you are in. And they have quiet hours and rules and stuff. I got asked to turn my music down all the time.
Last edited by TNA at Apr 19, 2008,
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
Words of wisdom.

More reasons:

2. For the first time in my life I experienced two things:

- intestinal parasites, which I discovered LIVING in my CRAP!!
- Athlete's Foot

3. I had pretty much every movie in my collection stolen. Yah you can lock your doors, etc, etc, it happened anyway.
4. I discovered the wonders of Asian food because the garbage they fed me at the dorm made me feel like I had cancer or something.

If I ate nothing but rice and broccoli I could get out of bed in the morning!

Overall it was a horrific experience, and a year of my life was basically flushed down the toilet.

I'm really sorry that was your experience, but it's not the same for everyone, although I accept that my experience (UK university) is probably not analogous with yours, cause where I am we're basically all a load of geeks and there's not much separation between the 'popular crowd' and everyone else.

Not every place has crap food, theft and ridiculous rules, and I'm really enjoying life in college. It's just being around a load of great people at all hours, the fact you can wander down to social areas or the library at 3am and there'll be people there.

Living in college allows you to form closer relationships with your friends, and meet people on different courses to yourself...I can't imagine knowing the smallest fraction of the people I do if I only attended lectures and tutorials. It also allows you to discover what it's like to live alone in a semi-controlled environment, where you know all your neighbours.

OK there are downsides. My room's on the ground floor and so not very private unless I keep the curtains closed, and I think the shower's going to fall into our kitchen fairly soon, but it's not terrible, and I wouldn't change it for anything
Ceci n'est pas une signature