Do they have a clutch pedal, is there anything added if not so you can control the car..or what if you wanted to go into a gear quicky in an emergency, and are they easier to drive?
They are 1000x times easier to drive, theres no clutch, but stick is more fun

It automatically shifts gears fyi..
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
no

no

you can shift down on the column

yes
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
No clutch dude.
"Ultimate"-Guitar is the worst website on the internet. Polluted with unintelligent mongoloids.
they are a lot easier, but some people enjoy driving a stick
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
they are easier, but they hamper the cars performance.

in what way
Quote by ElDi8blo
in what way

poorer speed acceleration and fuel economy. However unless you plan on getting a high performance sports car and driving fast you probably wont notice.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
they have no clutch, but a lot of automatics have first second and third gear shifters if you were in an emergency. a stick is more fun, but an automatic is more practical and easier to use.
cool. but what do you do when you are on a hill how to you hold the car there without a clutch? im sucking at driving lessons and im gonna sell my manual car (wish i was in america and didnt have so many roundabouts!)
Quote by ElDi8blo
cool. but what do you do when you are on a hill how to you hold the car there without a clutch? im sucking at driving lessons and im gonna sell my manual car (wish i was in america and didnt have so many roundabouts!)

the park gear that locks the transmission

you should really read a book or something before driving
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Carswell98
the park gear that locks the transmission

you should really read a book or something before driving

yeah i read crime and punishment by dostoevsky yesterday

(...we do a theory exam which i passed but that is for manual cars only). im just not great with the clutch and gears, and when its life and death i want to be careful.
Harden the **** up and drive a manual. Is half of America retarded or something? It takes about three months max to learn to drive a car with a manual tranmission. Three months, then you're set for life. They're cheaper to run, have better acceleration, greater control at slower speeds, engine braking (changing down a gear so you put less wear on your brakes, but can be detrimental to the engine if used excessively), hell, they even increase the handling around tight corners if in the right gear. The list of pro's are endless, it's just that people are too lazy to learn how to drive them. I admit they get a bit tedious driving in heavy traffic, but driving itself is a chore is those situations. I strongly recommend you hang on to your manual. If you can drive a manual, you can drive an auto, and you get a much better understanding of how a car behaves and handles.
When you're driving up a hill, your car with automatic transmission will shift to a lower gear by itself, thanks to the car's computer--hence the term "automatic."
Quote by johnmalkin
It takes about three months max to learn to drive a car with a manual tranmission. .

That's a little long, it took me three hours. I give a max of 3-4 days. Just depnds on how fast you learn, but 3 months sounds a little long to me.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
dude grit your teeth and learn stick, i live in the U.S. and i drive a stick its way better. plus it makes u concentrate on your driving which means less likely to get in an accident
Quote by Just_a_picker
That's a little long, it took me three hours. I give a max of 3-4 days. Just depnds on how fast you learn, but 3 months sounds a little long to me.

Yeah, I was a little longer, maybe about two weeks before I really got the hang on it. I'm just basing it on someone who doesn't know whether or not an automatic has a clutch.
After driving a standard there is like no way I could ever go back to driving an auto, it's just far too boring. Anyways autos are far easier for beginners, but sticks are tons more fun as you can get much better launches and rev the **** outta the engine any time you feel like, just drop two gears and you are gone! Being stuck in traffic jams can suck, as well as doing trivial stuff like parallel parking, but it's not a big deal. In the end learning to drive stick is more than worth it, plus you get the pride of knowing you can do it.
if you can do it well it impresses chicks. and then you can use it as an excuse to teach them how to do something cause not many of them know how but lots like to learn.

note: NOT the reason i drive stick, but hey why not right.
I know this is a bit late, but as a mechanic for most my life and currently finishing my undergrad in mechanical engineering, there are some gaping holes in the stereotypical manuals for men - automatics for pansies arguement. A transmissions purpose is to take the relatively low speed of the crank of the motor and transmit it to higher speeds at the wheels through the use of such items of sun and planetary gears as well as plates. Regardelss of how it does it, 99% of most people, including this forum, cannot shift as efficently as an automatic. Anyone who has ridden with a crappy manual driver knows the feeling of lurching forward when they hit the clutch at the wrong time prior to shifting. That fights the forward inertia of the car and thus reduces efficiency. Now all things equal, "most" manuals are more efficient than "most" automatics due to the fewer moving parts, thus less rotational inertia. But when you add the fact that most guys have the same overexaggerated view of their driving perfection as they do their love making skills, one can understand how my automatic 302 mustang whooped alot of 5 and 6 speed v8s (camaros and other mustangs) when i was younger (i am a smoker and i love to have a pop when i drive, sue me
Quote by Grumpy_Nuts
I know this is a bit late, but as a mechanic for most my life and currently finishing my undergrad in mechanical engineering, there are some gaping holes in the stereotypical manuals for men - automatics for pansies arguement. A transmissions purpose is to take the relatively low speed of the crank of the motor and transmit it to higher speeds at the wheels through the use of such items of sun and planetary gears as well as plates. Regardelss of how it does it, 99% of most people, including this forum, cannot shift as efficently as an automatic. Anyone who has ridden with a crappy manual driver knows the feeling of lurching forward when they hit the clutch at the wrong time prior to shifting. That fights the forward inertia of the car and thus reduces efficiency. Now all things equal, "most" manuals are more efficient than "most" automatics due to the fewer moving parts, thus less rotational inertia. But when you add the fact that most guys have the same overexaggerated view of their driving perfection as they do their love making skills, one can understand how my automatic 302 mustang whooped alot of 5 and 6 speed v8s (camaros and other mustangs) when i was younger (i am a smoker and i love to have a pop when i drive, sue me

Dude, that argument definitely makes the size of a stick driver's penis smaller. So sticks get better fuel efficiency just because the engine uses fewer less complicated parts?

That's so funny that you said "manual for men automatic for pansies" thing because my cousin has a stick and said to his friend that only pussies drive automatic.

How'd you end up being faster with the automatic? Are you just a really good driver or something?
Quote by johnmalkin
Harden the **** up and drive a manual. Is half of America retarded or something? It takes about three months max to learn to drive a car with a manual tranmission. Three months, then you're set for life. They're cheaper to run, have better acceleration, greater control at slower speeds, engine braking (changing down a gear so you put less wear on your brakes, but can be detrimental to the engine if used excessively), hell, they even increase the handling around tight corners if in the right gear. The list of pro's are endless, it's just that people are too lazy to learn how to drive them. I admit they get a bit tedious driving in heavy traffic, but driving itself is a chore is those situations. I strongly recommend you hang on to your manual. If you can drive a manual, you can drive an auto, and you get a much better understanding of how a car behaves and handles.

I agree with most of that

I drive a stick and will to the day I die...but some people simple aren't cut out for it. Mu aunt, for example, BARELY gets along driving an auto...I'd be keeping off the sidewalks if she had a stick.

edit: to the above post, automatics really are a viable option in a race, especially on a car with a larger engine, as most of the time they require heavier clutches to use a standard. Ever driven an old musclecar with a standard? Takes a bit to get used to.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 21, 2008,
Automatic transmissions require a torque convertor, which sacrifices acceleration and fuel efficiency. All my mates drive autos, I drive manual. Manual is the real deal.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
Quote by TheEmoStrangler
its alot harder to give road head while driving a manual , not impossible but harder

fix'd
This thread is so old, why was it revived?

Anyway, manual is fun, but not that fun. I have a manual corolla, and the next car I get will be auto, unless its a sports car. Sure its fun to rev, but if you're reving a corolla, no one is admiring you.
no clutch but easy enough for a monkey with a banana to drive
My Gear
Ibanez GSZ 120
Aria Pro II SL
Starfire Mega 10
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall MG100 DFX