ok so i have a problem with the songs i compose for the band. they all seem "ok" after listening to them for a while but to those who just start listening it seems very bland (i know because i think so too.) heres the myspace www.myspace.com/revivethelifeless

question is, how should i make it better? can you guys suggest some good riffs to give the songs a bit more depth? maybe comments on the songs?

thanks
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
well i dont want to quit the band so, sorry if you dont like screamo and whatnot
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
a good idea is this
Try learning some more scales and practice classical

i kow it sounds stupid but classical really gives you a good mindset on writing riffs and such
look at my profile under skills and tell me your opinion on my song sections
Don't get caught up with cliches.
Do unusual things.
Play what sounds good.
Play what you feel.
Watch the melodic control video in my sig.
Read the theory link in my sig.
Do vocal harmonies.
Quote by Travlembo
Don't play scream-o... That will help alot...

This.

Quote by clyne39
Double asian guitar attack.

And This.

Quote by ouchies
Listen to progressive metal bands and borrow some ideas from them

And This.

And my sig.
It's hard to keep songs sounding fresh when your in a hardcore/screamo band, a lot of people can't pull it off. You guys clearly have talent, just try and mix it up, but unless you drastically change the band, it's easy to get stuck in a rut.
Quote by ElmarFudd
It's hard to keep songs sounding fresh when your in a hardcore/screamo band, a lot of people can't pull it off. You guys clearly have talent, just try and mix it up, but unless you drastically change the band, it's easy to get stuck in a rut.

that made me feel really good about myself
but yea i understand what u guys are saying other than the double asian guitar attack.
im just gonna maybe do some chord progressions in the background
I think you guys have some serious potential and a lot of talent.

Definitely not my genre of expertise. I would say that the parts with the "regular" singing (not screaming) need some polish.

Heed the advice of others and check out other bands in the same genre and see what you can learn from them. What is different about their music that makes it better (in YOUR opinion)?

Good luck!
Quote by ThomasLantern

Heed the advice of others and check out other bands in the same genre and see what you can learn from them. What is different about their music that makes it better (in YOUR opinion)?

Good luck!

this is good advice, but great (I'm not being overconfident here, just stating what I've learned to be the truth )advice would be to listen to bands in a genre as irrelevant to your own as possible.

listen to some pop and classical and jazz and pop punk and see what you can make of it.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
The people bashing screamo are lucky I'm not reporting them.

TS, I haven't listened to your music but I don't think people are going to give you riffs to use. And it's your music so why would you want someone else to write it?

Now for my advice: make sure you aren't being overly critical of your own music. The other guys posting obviously think it's good.

Obviously if you think its terrible then you aren't going to play it or like it. But if you think it's alright and you get some enjoyment from playing or listening to it, then I reckon that's good enough. Don't get caught up in perfectionism, instead just continue to write songs that you like.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Watch the melodic control video in my sig.

Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Yeah man, prog rock will give you some ideas if you take some time to absorb them (I recommend taking some sort of drug and spending a couple hours in a dark room, listening to dream theater)

But this is a really good song. It's well composed and it has great post-production-type effects etc. The drums could be recorded better, but isn't that always the way?

I sense that you're worried that you're following the "formula" too much in your writing... Maybe try writing something while listening to a different type of music (like classical... I know, I know... but just try to pull some ideas and build around any good ones)

Or maybe even spend some time hanging out in a place that plays different music. I've been going to electronic bars a lot lately.

Again, drugs and alcohol are helpful.
Ok, I just got to Carol of the bells... you clearly are good at absorbing ideas from elsewhere.

I'm starting to think you just posted for moral reinforcement...

Consider yourself reinforced. Well done, man.
in sweet relief:

first, you could speed it up

and you could do some drums where he hits the snare in 8th or 16th notes and a bell or crash cymbal on every beat