Not sure if there is a forum that this can be put in but i guess the pit will have to do.

So I'm thinking of starting to give cheap guitar lessons to scrape up some extra cash to buy a better amp than my 15watt crate GX. Im thinking like 5$ per lesson for however long the kid/other wants it so there might be some babysitting elements thrown in there, I dunno.

If you guys didn't play guitar and your kid wanted to learn would you send em on down? I'd probly teach them the basic chords like G and D and all that jazz, some of the popular beginner songs like Smoke on the Water (all the way thru, I hate people who only play intros).

I dunno, it's just an idea to grab some cash and maybe learn to be better myself. I mean, Randy Rhoads taught alot and look how awesome he was
How old are you? Parents tend to prefer adults teaching their children, and in the UK at least preferably someone who's been checked out for working with children.
i'd charge more than $5 per lesson... here its about $12 for a half an hour and i've seen much worse as well
if you're good... go for it, if you suck don't

And actually teach em something don't half ass it.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Here it's $20 for the local stores to teach for half an hour but my friend's bro taught me for $20 for an hour. Start off by teaching people you know, and if they like it, have them spread the word.
@blue_strat

Im 16 and it's a really small town I live in. Up in Canada. Pretty much everyone knows everyone else. I do quite a bit of community work and stuff around my church (Even though I've been labled as a satanist for wearing a Iron Maiden shirt at a gig). I wouldn't think it would be much of a problem, my parents would probly be around as well though so it's not like im gonna hurt them or anything.

@americnidiot

Well I would like the money and parents usually shy away from 12 for half an hour (sadly, more than some people make) of simple guitar lessons.

@floppypick

I wouldn't plague the world with offspring-bad-guitarists even if I did suck. Half-assing it really isn't an option when you've got hic parents hanging around their kids, thanks for the thought!

@RPGoof

I've tought my cousin and my brother stuff, basic chording and some cool AC/DC stuff. They're just pulling themselves along well now, guitar tabs are kinda taking over for now but they come to me time from time for help with a certain lick. They seemed to like it, but maybe thats because im related to them.

Yeah I'll probly bump up the price given what you guys have been suggesting, thanks.
Last edited by Superstrat101 at Apr 16, 2008,
Hope I didn't sound like a dick there

But yeah, good luck with it.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
I would say it depends on your skill level and the age you are teaching. I would definitely charge more than 5. I gave a 5 year old an hour lesson for $20 once after less than 4 years of playing.
its all good floppy. Thanks

@Shpongled yeah, I think I'm probly going to get the middle school kids since... well they're in middle school.

I think I'll jack up the price to like 15$ or something. I'm not really going for a vintage marshall stack that was recently hot-rodded or anything. Then again, the more cash the better!
How long have you been playing? How far into it will these lessons go? Teaching simple chords, tabs, and riffs will only last you so long. Try to cover as much as you can. Teach some scales, chord progressions (Especially the 12 bar blues,) barre chords, maybe throw in some theory to keep milking those cash cows.
D:
Signature.
Yeah, I like how you think Atom! I might as well cash in as much as I can, passing on all of my guitar knowledge.

I think the 12 bar blues was a staple in my original plan anyway. When I was first teaching myself I always thought I'd never touch on theory and I think it would scare some people off (if you dont know much, theory is really boring).

Scales and stuff work too, might as well teach them some majors and the basic blues scale.

Yup, Yup thanks!
well if you do it you have to teach them all about guitar theory , chords, arpeggios, scales all that stuff and you have to know it all first.
Quote by syyz1
I'm on my period, wearing no sort of protection, naked on a white chair

Quote by *Juno*
I put my balls inside the sound hole and strummed myself to ectasy

Quote by °☻°
I like it hairy, that way i can play welcome to the jungle while i have sex!
Theory can be boring and scary. But you have to present it slowly. First start out with the notes of the fretboard and whole steps/half steps. Maybe some scale construction, i.e. How to construct a Pentatonic Major scale from the root note and knowing its construction is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. But the key is taking it slow and tying it into other knowledge they know and songs.
D:
Signature.
If you can get them to pay you, and you comfortable with $5 bucks, then go for it! Some gals at my job wanted me to teach their daughters and sons, but I refused cuz I feel like Im still a beginner as well. Ive only seriously been playing for about 2 years and gigging for almost a year
Quote by Superstrat101
Not sure if there is a forum that this can be put in but i guess the pit will have to do.

So I'm thinking of starting to give cheap guitar lessons to scrape up some extra cash to buy a better amp than my 15watt crate GX. Im thinking like 5$ per lesson for however long the kid/other wants it so there might be some babysitting elements thrown in there, I dunno.

If you guys didn't play guitar and your kid wanted to learn would you send em on down? I'd probly teach them the basic chords like G and D and all that jazz, some of the popular beginner songs like Smoke on the Water (all the way thru, I hate people who only play intros).

I dunno, it's just an idea to grab some cash and maybe learn to be better myself. I mean, Randy Rhoads taught alot and look how awesome he was

did u just compare urself to randy rhoads?
Quote by oh noes!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Quote by syyz1
I'm on my period, wearing no sort of protection, naked on a white chair

Quote by *Juno*
I put my balls inside the sound hole and strummed myself to ectasy

Quote by °☻°
I like it hairy, that way i can play welcome to the jungle while i have sex!
Quote by oh noes!!

of course not, that's like comparing yourself to me. ridiculous!

but really, I'm not lol

@Atom

Yeah I think I've got it, I dont think people coming in for a couple of months are gonna be whipping out face-melting penatonic licks though. I get what you're saying thanks.