I've known Carvin custom guitars for a long time now but just recently I've noticed they have quite a developed amp line up. I can think of some professionals who have used carvin amps (including Frank Zappa! ) but I've never heard them talked about around here at all, if ever.

Does anyone have any opinions about them? There simply doesn't seem to be a lot of first hand information on them other than the bias dealers. I'm not exactly thinking of buying one, but I'd love to know more.
I bought the V3 like 2 months ago. Id have to say its pretty sweet. 2 distortion channels a clean a nd master channel. It has alot of power, i have it literaly on 1 and it shakes the room. Im pretty happy with it. I hear the Steve Vai Legacy is pretty good too.
how would you classify its tone? Could it pull off deathmetal well? or does it rock the blues? They aren't too expencive relatively so I was suspicious when I saw some cheap all tube heads.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I've been wondering that myself.. Can you get a 6505 or Engl type of tone out of it? Or is more of a Marshall tone?

You can get close to a Marshall tone, as well as a Mesa tone. Although nothing beats the real deal, on the contrary nothing beats the V3s price! This thing wasnt meant to "sound" like any amp, but its closest to a Mesa imo. Great amp with a good metal/hard rock tone that doesnt get muddy and crappy as you dial in more distortion.

I have a V3 and i have a Maylene and the Sons of Disaster kinda tone right now on channel one, with a light bluesy crunch on channel two for rock n roll and jamming out with friends. The clean channel is set up for moderate cleans that require a little more mids.

Read my review of the V3, its the ****. As for the other great amps like the nomad or the X100B, check the Carvin group on here or the Carvin forums at www.Carvin.com.

For the V3s price, you will **** bricks for a week after you get it. Then **** another when you turn it on. That thing is mean.

P.S. I think "As I Lay Dying" uses the Carvin V3

P.P.S. You totally forgot to mention Steve Vai . His amp is ok; i didnt like the amp though. <Thats just my opinion.
I was going to bring up Vai.. you stole my moment... I'll get you back one day.

All threats aside the V3 is a very versatile amplifier that is pretty famous on UG. It seems to be the go-to amp for versatility in that price range. Its got a well deserved fanbase though and you cant really go wrong with a V3, ever.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
If it is accurate to its predecessor, the X212 (x100 combo) looks extremely appealing.
The price tag looks like god for what you get out of it (if it holds up to the name)
Seriously, BECKER used to use one of them...800 bucks for a good clean channel and a good rock/shred channel? Sure its not all that versitile, but goddamn, you cant beat the price.

Carvin FTW.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
i have a v3 its most like a recto really(id say better than dual recto). it is a buzzy modern gain, but the crunch is good and the cleans are decent. Might need an OD pedal it isnt that gain heavy (when you put the gain past 7 it breaks up a lot..od would smooth it out).

I think if i hadnt got it so cheap i may have got an engl blackmore..i would probably go for that as they are the same cost. Either that or sell my soul for an Engl SE.
Quote by .arkness:.
I was going to bring up Vai.. you stole my moment... I'll get you back one day.

All threats aside the V3 is a very versatile amplifier that is pretty famous on UG. It seems to be the go-to amp for versatility in that price range. Its got a well deserved fanbase though and you cant really go wrong with a V3, ever.

Haha, i look forward to it. Or do I?
How would a V3's drive channel compare to my Traynor YCV50? My Traynor gives off the very marshallesque full mid drive. Would the V3 give me a bit more modern sound? Thats what I'm hearing and that might be what I'm looking for in the future.
My friend has a YCV40 and i prefer my distorition because i have the option of 3 different ones per channel. I can make it really warm like he has made his or a little more crunchy like i have it now. I love my amp, does wonders for my playing.
Quote by shrugs1434
How would a V3's drive channel compare to my Traynor YCV50? My Traynor gives off the very marshallesque full mid drive. Would the V3 give me a bit more modern sound? Thats what I'm hearing and that might be what I'm looking for in the future.

I'd buy a Mesa style amp if i were you. Because with the YCV50 you've got the cleans (which are damn nice) and the marshall drive. Then with, say a f50, then you have the modern higher gain sound too.
Or sell your YCV and get a JSX. IMO, jsx>v3
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
IMO, JSX has a really tight fat low compress distortion. Listen to Joe when he plays with it. Its great for metal, but i like mine.

At about the 12min mark and a little all throughout. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6100853196503866597&q=joe+satriani&total=10990&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=5&hl=en

Ok, im done.