Page 1 of 2
I'm in real trouble......over a stupid TV licence.

As a lot of UGers will know, I'm not on the best terms with the other 4 people in my flat, partially because of their sheer inability to do even simple things like cleaning and collecting the post.

Anyway, I got in from lectures today and collected the post from the lobby of my block of flats. In it was an official-looking brown envelope with a HM Courts Services logo on it, addressed to the 'Legal Occupier'.

I went upstairs to the flat, put the rest of the post on the kitchen table and then opened this letter. Turns out that some people from the TV Licencing place want to interview all of us UNDER CAUTION for licence evasion. I don't even HAVE a TV!

So I'm screwed. We're looking at a £2500 fine at least......even prison.

What should I do???
uh oh! anyone a lawyer in your flat?
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC
Quote by Saturated Fat
uh oh! anyone a lawyer in your flat?

I'm probably the closest thing to a lawyer in my flat....I did a Law A Level.
Call Matlock!!

Seriously, |if you don't have a goddamn tv and don't know about it, you're fine. Just don't let them suck you into it. I have awesome roomates luckily.
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by Deliriumbassist
anyway, Fassa. Is there a tv in a common area, and do you all have locks on your rooms?

There's no TVs in our living room (partially because I'm the only person who actually sits in there) but everyone bar me has a TV in their room.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
There's no TVs in our living room (partially because I'm the only person who actually sits in there) but everyone bar me has a TV in their room.

If your rooms have locks, everyone needs an individual licence I believe. If you don't have a tv in your room, you should be fine.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If your rooms have locks, everyone needs an individual licence I believe. If you don't have a tv in your room, you should be fine.

that's not true......under British law my flat is classifed as one residence and so we really only need one licence, but no-one will stump up the money....
Um. I don't think I'm alone in saying what the **** is tv licensing?
P.L.U.R.

We'll choke on our vomit and that will be the end

We were fated to pretend
well if you didn't do anything you should be ok...right?

if not, i shall permanently label the UK as a communist country.
i was born there, by the way.
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
that's not true......under British law my flat is classifed as one residence and so we really only need one licence, but no-one will stump up the money....

Ah, that's what I was under the impression if individual rooms had locks, then it was automatically classed as separate for TV Licencing purposes
Quote by Deliriumbassist
anyway, Fassa. Is there a tv in a common area, and do you all have locks on your rooms?

UK laws, genius.

TV licensing is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Is it like cars? Do you pay different rates for antique models? Or sportier ones? Or if you're a younger person?
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Ah, that's what I was under the impression if individual rooms had locks, then it was automatically classed as separate for TV Licencing purposes

Luckily I've studied Law....I might be able to mouth myself out of it...
You need a license to own a TV? How come?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Fassa, this may well have been the wrong time to bring up TV licensing when the americans are awake and don't know what it is

It's Canadian.

And I still think it's stupid.

And if it pays for the BBC, then maybe everyone should stop paying for these licenses.
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by arsonite
It's Canadian.

And I still think it's stupid.

And if it pays for the BBC, then maybe everyone should stop paying for these licenses.

The BBC is sh*te... but we got freeview and if we want to watch Scrubs and Top Gear... we gotta pay TV license

Better off paying the license fee as opposed to £2500, though.
Quote by Xiaoxi
You need a license to own a TV? How come?

In the UK the BBC is legally able to charge a licence fee for TV broadcasting and to cover its services as well. It's roughly £140 ($290) for a colour television.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
In the UK the BBC is legally able to charge a licence fee for TV broadcasting and to cover its services as well. It's roughly £140 ($290) for a colour television.

That is ridiculous.

Good thing we don't have that here in good ol' 'Murica.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The BBC is sh*te... but we got freeview and if we want to watch Scrubs and Top Gear... we gotta pay TV license

Better off paying the license fee as opposed to £2500, though.

I still think that's way too much for just one channel.

I would pay that much a year to have no commercials on every channel on the set.

We have Sasktel Max here though and what it allows us to do id pause the shows during the commercials and wait a couple minutes or so then skip to the current point.
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by Xiaoxi
That is ridiculous.

Good thing we don't have that here in good ol' 'Murica.

Lucky for some.
Quote by arsonite
I still think that's way too much for just one channel.

I would pay that much a year to have no commercials on every channel on the set.

We have Sasktel Max here though and what it allows us to do id pause the shows during the commercials and wait a couple minutes or so then skip to the current point.

Well, the BBC has 4+ tv channels, and then there's all the BBC radio hat the license pays for as well.
well u shouldn't pay cause u don't even have a tv
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by British_Steal
well u shouldn't pay cause u don't even have a tv

I say this but the licencing agency see the entire flat as being at fault, me included.

I'm gonna end up in jail....
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Well, the BBC has 4+ tv channels, and then there's all the BBC radio hat the license pays for as well.

I guess they can't enforce people not listening to the radio then.

How do they enforce that?
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by arsonite
I guess they can't enforce people not listening to the radio then.

How do they enforce that?

The radio is not licenced......but it used to be...
Quote by captainjackass
Come to the United States dude... we just pay for basic cable

*runs off to pack suitcase*
It's not your fault, they're occupying the flat too, make them pay it. You did nothing wrong. It's like you driving their car, and then trying to make them pay a speeding ticket you racked up.
Page 1 of 2