whats a good bass for metal not like death metal or anything metal like metallica, megadeth,blacktide and iron maiden??
Warwick and Spector both give good metal tones. If you want something less expensive, check out Schecter or Ibanez.

Quote by dougefresh69
i might be wrong but i would say standard squier bass

Uhh, no.
i vote ibanez myself. the btb405qm is pretty good for it and i love the way they feel. my friend owned one. i don't know if they make it exactly like his but i know the btb model line lives on so check them out.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Basses aren't as genre specific as guitars. I've seen metal bands with Fender Jazzes before.
Vampyre holla.
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
Quote by IndianRockStar
Any bass. If the bass is good, it will be good for metal. This goes for pretty much any style. And until you give a price range, I'm going to recommend Alembic.

I'd say a 5 string Fender Jazz, just 'cause it's verstile and a 5 will cover your metal needs with it's low B.

Jw, are you new to bass?
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Its all most all about the amp and EQing, but ive seen metal bands play with almost any type of bass, a Jazz, a Percision, dual humbuckers, a local group had a person using an upright electric bass once, and that was a sight to see.
Quote by Zycho
Basses aren't as genre specific as guitars. I've seen metal bands with Fender Jazzes before.

jason newsted used one isn't it?
Bass tone isn't generally style specific...if you like the tone, it'll be fine.
Nope, no sig here.
Well some basses will naturally have more "growl" or "punch" to them, and if you exploit it right, it could give you a meaner, more in your face sound. For growl and punch, Warwick and Spector are probably the way to go.

However, any bass will do.

Steve Harris of Iron Maiden used a Fender Precision bass.
Cliff Burton of Metallica used a Rickenbacker, an Alembic, and an Aria.
Jason Newstead of Metallica used a Fender Jazz.
Megadeth... not sure. I saw them live about 7 months ago and if I remember right, he was playing a Fender Precision... but I've also seen one of the bassists playing Warwick, and I think Elefson used a Peavey.

Just goes to show you that any bass will do. Mostly.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
I'm pretty sure Jason Newstead plays Sadowsky basses.

Anyway, just like everyone else has said, any bass will do - it's all in the EQ! (my new catchphrase)
Get a Thunderbird (preferably gibson) ive got the epiphone goth edition which is good for all round songs but Im sure they designed it with metal in mind.
ibanez if your serious. and want to play other stuff.
Bc rich or dean if you want the look... (please dont do it, for the love of god PLEASE!!!)
thunderbirds are good. i had one for about a year and a half, you will get laughed at on these forums. bear in mind.

although tbh, it doesnt really matter. as long as your distortion is good an your playing is fast ou wont have much of a problem. drop d extenders a must.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by Metallicaloveu
Get a Thunderbird (preferably gibson) ive got the epiphone goth edition which is good for all round songs but Im sure they designed it with metal in mind.

*roundhouse kicks*

The Thunderbird would be one of the worst basses you could get for metal, simply because the tone is so muddy. Or course a heavy tone works in metal, but thunderbirds lack any clarity, so therefore are not going to be heard unless you overpower everything else with shear volume. Thunderbirds sell on the looks. Nothing more.

And TS, you say not like Metallica, but like Megadeth. You do realise they are the two biggest thrash metal bands around, and stylistically are pretty similar.

What people need to realise is that any bass can work in metal, it is far more what you play and how you play it (also EQing) than the bass itself. There are of course exceptions (eg. semihollows, Thunderbirds...). Personally, I am a huge fan of Warwicks for metal, because they have a very strong low end, plentky of clarity and a very heavy midrange growl when played aggressively.

However, Fender Jazz basses work very well (Opeth are good example) as well as almost any other bass. Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) uses a Fender P bass with flatwound strings and finger style, yet manages to cut through incredibly well.

However, in the end, what will matter most is to get a bass that you are comfortable with, and then have an amp that cuts through. The differences in tone between two amps doesn't need to be big at all to change between being heard adn eing mud at the bottom of the mix.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Ibanez SRX.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I'm not sure why people are still naming specific basses. Practically any bass can be used for metal, as it is such a wide genre with a massive difference in tones.

Practically any bass can be used for metal. However, general characteristics you want to look for are a strong low end presence, clarity, and a biting/growling midrange. If you have been playing for a while, you will know what each bass lacks in these areas when you try it out.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
traben all the way. basses may not be genre specific, but it's gona be pretty hard to convince me those things aren't made to be on the heavier side of the musical world
Trabens remind me of a Spector body with the Music Man pick guard.

No sence of originality whatsoever.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by AboveTheBridge

I'd say a 5 string Fender Jazz, just 'cause it's verstile and a 5 will cover your metal needs with it's low B.

Jw, are you new to bass?

i'm not new i have been playing for 4 years but i was never into alot of metal untill a little while ago and some kids at school asked me to play in their band for them
Quote by gm jack
I'm not sure why people are still naming specific basses. Practically any bass can be used for metal, as it is such a wide genre with a massive difference in tones.

Practically any bass can be used for metal. However, general characteristics you want to look for are a strong low end presence, clarity, and a biting/growling midrange. If you have been playing for a while, you will know what each bass lacks in these areas when you try it out.

Kids don't get it man...
Teh one wiv da big spikes on da side. BC RICH LOLZ!

Seriously, I think if you look around loads of basses can be used for metal. I've seen Fender Jazzes, P-basses, Ibanez, Spector, Warwick, Schecter. Try some out, see what you like best, then apply an EQ to it so it cuts through in a metal mix.
signature
I play stuff like avenged sevenfold, system of a down, bullet for my valentine and trivium (to name a few) on my Ibanez GSR200. Its thin neck makes for great playing, and if your on a budget, its a hell of a bass.

But i think pretty much any bass with good pickups will do, although a thinner neck might be better for fast playing.
The amp is far far more important for this.

I'd say get a Fender P-bass though. It has more of a "punch" than a fender jazz. Warwicks are awesome aswell if you've got the money.

ESP is only good if you spend over $700. Otherwise you're just buying a look, and not a quality bass.

Personally, i've got a Fender 5-string with flatwounds and it siuts me for just about any genre (except funk)
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )