I've been getting more familiar with the fretboard through practice and i can start to tell that my improvising is starting to show a little improvement. My phrasing is starting to become slightly more melodic than it was. It isn't great at all by any stretch of the imagination but i can tell it's starting to improve a little. Now my question is this, is practicing improvising a good thing to do during my daily practice alongside my scale practice, song practice, chord practice etc? Should i just wait until ive got the scales down pat before i start practicing improvisation? Thanks
improvisation is the key to guitar playing... anyone can play a scale robotically, but when they start using it, and applying it, then its a sign of a true player. my advice: start with your daily routine (the scale, song and chord practice), and then do some improvisation. you'll find that it actually helps you master the scales better than just playing them up and down will.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Definitely start improvising as soon as you can. You could pick up a guitar and start on any note, then pick a random other one etc, just to see what it sounds like. When you learn a scale, start playing with it to see what it can do. If you find a good riff or chord progression, see how you can expand on it or solo over it with the scales and arpeggios that you know.

The method of learning guitar is more focused on improvisation than other instruments, so the sooner you can start, imo, the better.
Ok cool, thanks for the replies. My improv is nowhere remotely near where I want it to be but I do know that with time and practice I'll get there. Heck looking back 5 months to when i first started im amazed at what i can do now lol.
Quote by rockadoodle
Now my question is this, is practicing improvising a good thing to do during my daily practice alongside my scale practice, song practice, chord practice etc?

Yes

Quote by rockadoodle
Should i just wait until ive got the scales down pat before i start practicing improvisation?

No

I'd like to say that you really shouldn't "practice" improvising. You should really just let it flow more than anything.