So I found this cool little thing thats like...

e------------------------------------------
--------5---------5---------6--------6---
-----6----6----6----6----6---6---6--6-
--7----------7----------7--------7------
------------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------

where would this best be reolved? I havea few possibilties, but none sound 'it'.

Thakns.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
how do you want it to resolve?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
You're building from E to E# so you could just chromatically go to F# and make it A6; that type of motion (I-I+-I6) is pretty common because that's where the ear wants to hear it head to.
Depends on what you want it to go to. First tell us the chord your playing, and then the chord you want to transition too.
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Depends on what you want it to go to. First tell us the chord your playing, and then the chord you want to transition too.

The chords he's arpeggiating are listed above rather plainly. A and A+.
you could continue the same pattern with the top note being an E (repeating it) or being an F#. those are the most "accessible" continuations.

or moving the aug shape up a half step then back down sounds decent.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Last edited by Its_Rock77 at Apr 16, 2008,
Quote by :-D
The chords he's arpeggiating are listed above rather plainly. A and A+.

Yea, but not the chord he wants to resolve too.
Quote by :-D
You're building from E to E# so you could just chromatically go to F# and make it A6; that type of motion (I-I+-I6) is pretty common because that's where the ear wants to hear it head to.

That's what i was thinking (the chromatic motion). Reminds me of voice leading with jazz ii-V7-I progressions: how the 7th of the chord before goes down chromatically to the 3rd of the next chord.

Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Yea, but not the chord he wants to resolve too.

will shit, really? that's what the TS is asking.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Obvious choices are F#m (which would imply A6, just based on this progression) Dm, and Bbm. These are all taken from an interpretation of the augmented chord as a dominant, and the fact that any note of the augmented chord can be interpreted as the root. You might need to do some improved voice leading to get some of these chords to sound good to you, though.

Also, you could interpret the + chord as dominant and resolve to the major, although this might be a little more tricky to get sounding good. You could then resolve to either F#, D, or Bb. Personally, I like the A to A+ to D, but that's just me.

There are a multitude of other options, though, so keep looking.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
or this:

-------------------------------9--7--5--4----------
--------7---------7-------------------------7--5---
-----6----6----6----6----6-------------------------
--7----------7---------7----------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------

then repeat the entire thing....
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
^heh, thats pretty cool

I'd just say hit a high A to resolve and sustain on that high A. Things usually resolve good to root notes.
Thanks, you guys gave me plenty of options...

Could anyone tell me the theory behind these options? I'd like to know for future referance.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
The theory for the gmin chord resolution (assuming f is the root of your chord up there and you've inverted it) is that the augmented chord is found in the harmonic minor scale using the 3, 5, and raised 7, hence the classical representation as III+. The chord built off the third scale degree has two options in the normative progression for minor: moving to VI or iv, Major chord off the lowered 6 or minor chord off of 4, again with lowered 6 but as the third of the chord, though you can raise the six to make it a major 4 chord but it will want to go to the 7 diminshed chord or 5 (probably dominant 7) first inversion for sure. You probably should go there next anyway though. Don't raise it if you're doing the VI chord. For reference, here the iv is gmin, VI is Bbmaj, V is Gmaj or Gmaj with a min7, and vii(dim) is a c# dim (raise the 7 for major 5 chord, diminished 7, and 3 aug. it is harmonic minor), because the key is d minor. Anyway, there may be more options, but I'm just wrapping up my first year of theory.
Personally, I think gmin is the best sounding option but Bbmaj sounds great too. Have fun!
Last edited by Nightfyre at Apr 17, 2008,
D@mmit. That's an Faug, not an E#aug. It should probably be a gmin resolution. Corrections to previous post incoming.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Apr 17, 2008,