So today was kind of weird. There was an audition for my school talent show. I had told him almost 2 months ago there was going to be a talent show. Both of us being Metallica fans, I asked him if he would like to play Fade To Black, he agreed. He then told me he had his bass lesson the next day, and would ask his instructor to teach him the song.

Two days later I asked him how Fade To Black was coming along. He said he learned it. Here's the jist of what our conversation went like:

Me: So how did your lesson go?
Him: Yeah I learned it.
Me: Like 75% or something?
Him: No, the whole thing
Me: Okay cool, we got to practice some time

Cut to last Friday after the bell rings in the music room. I try to ask him to practice real quick but he says his parents will get mad if he stays too long. He leaves, and I'm left to practice the song by myself. I eventually got the whole song down apart from the interlude and outro solos.

As we're walking to the audition today he tells me that he hasn't quite gotten the song down yet. So now he tries to convince me to play Sunshine of Your Love. I told him I don't even know how to play half the song. I only know the main riff. He suggests Iron Man next. I reluctantly agree, even though I haven't played that song in months.

They allow us some practice time before the official audition. I play a shortened version of the whole song. He then keeps insisting that there's an extra note that I'm not playing. Obviously, we failed the audition.
Last edited by guitarnoobie at Apr 16, 2008,
My question is "Why the **** were you getting bossed around by a bass player? I mean, you've got more strings than him, are higher in the groupie pecking order and therefore obviously have the right to make him your bitch in the band."

Fire his ass and find a real bassist who hasn't got his head shoved so far up his ass that he doesn't realise that he is actually really **** and should probably just sell his gear on eBay or craigslist
sounds like an inexperienced bassist.
idk id say ur better looking for someone else
o yeah if ur gonna start a band dont start with a school talent show, instead get good first then become firneds with other bands in ur genre and then ull be able to play shows with them (really small venues but hey its where you start)
it almost seems as if he planned that all out 0.0

i'd go wit another chance till something else goes wrong.
just look past it and make sure u ask him about practice a couple days before.
I ask my band ppls bout practice every day just to make sure... so maybe u should try that.
good luck and there is always next time =]
ya.... at first i thought second try, but this guy is just a dick.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by Lrn2shrd69
My question is "Why the **** were you getting bossed around by a bass player? I mean, you've got more strings than him, are higher in the groupie pecking order and therefore obviously have the right to make him your bitch in the band."

Fire his ass and find a real bassist who hasn't got his head shoved so far up his ass that he doesn't realise that he is actually really **** and should probably just sell his gear on eBay or craigslist

We're not an official band. We're just a guitarist and a bassist.
Quote by Lrn2shrd69

This guy needs to calm the F*** down... Bassist can be just as much as a good leader for a band as a singer or guitar player may be.

but i agree on the whole boss around thing. all band players have to take lead in a band.
Quote by dedicated_2
This guy needs to calm the F*** down... Bassist can be just as much as a good leader for a band as a singer or guitar player may be.

but i agree on the whole boss around thing. all band players have to take lead in a band.

Trust me he's no leader. In class he's always a slacker. Guess it carries over to his playing as well.
Quote by guitarnoobie
We're not an official band. We're just a guitarist and a bassist.

Alright sorry my bad. But still this guy obviously hasn't got the right attitude if you wanted to take this further and hook up with a drummer etc and make a band
Quote by dedicated_2

I mean there are a lot of awesome bassists and even tho im a guitarist, don't get me wrong I respect proficient bass players. John Myung for example is one of the most proficient bassists and musicians on the earth, but he knows his place in Dream Theater. Album production and band leading is mainly done by by petrucci and portnoy, and they and labrie are the only ones who contribute lyrics these days(Myung was told his lyrics wernt fitting the band and so he no longer writes any).
Quote by GuitaPlaya
You failed the audition because nobody wants to hear a guitarist and bassist playing a song that everybody has heard a million times without drums or singing. The same thing would have happened if he had learned "Fade to Black." That being said, he's a dick for lying to you.

This is probaly a school talent show so people are mostly like "0mG f4ll0ut b0y!!!!!". So I doubt most people there have heard Fade to Black.
Quote by Lrn2shrd69

Because the bassist is half of the rythm section, have you ever heard a song with just a guitar sure it may sound good but it could sound a hell of a lot better with bass. A band isn't a popularity contest where the lead guitarist rules over all and the rest of the guys just stand in the back. That's why it's called a BAND...
Quote by Lrn2shrd69
John Myung for example is one of the most proficient bassists and musicians on the earth, but he knows his place in Dream Theater. Album production and band leading is mainly done by by petrucci and portnoy, and they and labrie are the only ones who contribute lyrics these days(Myung was told his lyrics wernt fitting the band and so he no longer writes any).

Album production has nothing to do with the fact that he plays bass.
Band leading has nothing to do with the fact that he plays bass.
Lyrical contribution has nothing to do with the fact that he plays bass.

Give me a break. Those are more reflective of his personality; he'd be the same way if he were a guitarist, I'm sure. I don't know how you can argue the point that you're arguing. He doesn't "know his place", he just happens to contribute more to the musical aspect than anything else.

You may have more strings than the average bass player, but a little common sense would do you well.
Bass has thicker strings. That being said, this clearly outplays you, TS:

(Invalid img)

For the topic at hand, you should probably try looking for real musicians. Slackers are bad. Don't think work habits change when subjects change. You can tell a lot about someone's playing (not technique, obviously) just by observing their demeanor in other areas than music. This is try to many things, in fact. I don't think you should give this guy another chance.
Quote by Avedas
Bass has thicker strings. That being said, this clearly outplays you, TS:

(Invalid img)

For the topic at hand, you should probably try looking for real musicians. Slackers are bad. Don't think work habits change when subjects change. You can tell a lot about someone's playing (not technique, obviously) just by observing their demeanor in other areas than music. This is try to many things, in fact. I don't think you should give this guy another chance.

Hai d00d can you play some Fall Out Boy plz
Quote by Lrn2shrd69

Replace 'bass player' with 'any member of a band' and you might not sound like a complete idiot anymore
How good of a bass player is he?

I think it's probably best not to bother with the guy. My guess is that he was either too lazy to learn the song or he tried learning it and then couldn't and was too embarrassed to tell you. In either case, he failed to live up to his responsibility and deal with it maturely.

However, that being said, if failing the audition embarrassed and humbled him, he will probably stop slacking. In that case, I would say stay with him.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.