I'm wondering where to buy quilted maple, if you couldn't figure it out from the title. Websites would be great.

I was also wondering about staining...what are some good brands of stains that aren't too expensive? I'm trying to achieve this color, with a trans black burst around the edges. For a first time guitar painter, how much would a paint job like that cost me if I did it myself? (with guidance, of course, and also not taking into account the price of the extra paint and wood to practice with)

Thanks.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Google + searching for "quilted maple" and 'I'm Feeling Lucky' to go to first site result...
http://www.nwtimber.net/ViewProduct.asp?ProductID=1747

fwiw, theres a woodworking shop in the same shopping center as Sam Ash on capital blvd across from guitar center. theres a tigerdirect store too... Talk about convenient right?!

as for the stains... i couldnt say. I didnt know they have purple like that, I would have said that was a candy coat of paint like House of Kolors KK13 which is 'Burple'. If you go with paint you'll probably spend $100 on automotive urethane paints of high quality. This summer i should have a paint booth setup, you're welcome to use it
What I play:
CustomShop '51 Nocaster Relic
'88 "C" neck Clapton Strat
'08 Strat HSH
Fender Princeton Recording Amp
Boss Micro-BR
Last edited by boostdemon at Apr 17, 2008,
Nice, I probably won't end up painting until this summer so I might come check out your booth... Never met another UGer that lives around here. Thanks for the info, both of you

EDIT: Just making sure...You can use car paints on guitars and still be able to see the grain of the wood, correct?
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Apr 17, 2008,
You could probably seal it, then paint over that. Lacquer finishes can be sprayed, some older cars had that too before urethanes became the standard.
What I play:
CustomShop '51 Nocaster Relic
'88 "C" neck Clapton Strat
'08 Strat HSH
Fender Princeton Recording Amp
Boss Micro-BR
Ah, alright. Hopefully my dad and I can get our hands on some cheap wood and cheap paint as well as a painting tutorial to practice painting before we actually start painting the actual guitar. Actually, we're definately going to, we just hope it won't cost a lot.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Uhm 100$ bro I got a pint of minwax blue for about $13. The smaller varathane can was like $6 and the pre stain was $5

mine is turning out just fine lol. You don't need to spray it either... just apply it with a good synthetic brush and then wipe off the excess with a rag.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Oh ok, cool. I'll experiment with different methods to see what works best.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

That carvin used no paint that's total dye, easily attainable with practice. You'll need blue dye, black, and red. You'll use dye/sanding sealer/lacquer for a standard finish. automotive paints are never transparent essentially they're opaque, not for figured wood. www.stewmac.com has everything you'll need. If you buy a compressor and spray gun even cheap ones, with wood included depending on where you get it from and the grade, you're looking something along the lines of:

compressor:100-200
spray gun :30-50
dyes :50 (red black blue)
finishing :50 (sealer/lacquer)
sandpapers:25 (250-1200 grits)
buffing spls :100 (3 buffing pads, coarse-fine compound + swirl remover)

or something like that :P so around 350 for a setup that you can do almost anything with!
unless that finish turns from blue and shimmers purple in light, in which case you're looking at a normal blue dye finish with purple candy coat in the clear. I've never done that before but it's a really cool concept!
Hey AviaCustom!
You sound like you know quite a bit about this...
What if you were to do a tranparent sunburst of the colors. Would you seal the wood first with clear, then rub on the lighter color, and then spray the darker candy on top, but not in the center?

BTW, that purple is a beautiful finish. What brand gtr is that?
It's a Carvin. It looks like I have a lot to learn about painting guitars...I need to find a tutorial, but first I need to decide exactly what method I'm going to use.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Theres one of two ways I can think of how they might have done it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the steps should be something like this;

-bare wood preparation
-black or dark blue stain
-sand back
-blue stain
-sealer/sand etc
-clear with purple candy
-more clears until thick enough to cover candy and durable

I've never done anything like this before so please correct me if I'm wrong heh

take care - Josh
Did you bother to check the lumber yards in the yellow pages?

They can often order stuff you need....i.e. Capital City Lumber off of Hillsborough St.
1992 Ibanez JS6
LesPaul Studio pewter
Fender Strat Lite Ash
Yamaha APX-3
We've checked Capital City Lumber, but haven't asked them about ordering anything for us.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile