Ok, i need an attenuator for my 6505+ for house volumes. Which weber mass model can handle 120W?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Weber Mass 150. Just do it.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
And you guys are sure i will retain my beautiful tone that i love my amp so much for?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I have never used one, and I would assume that there will be slight tone suck. But I know that the Weber MASS sucks the least tone out of any attenuator on the market.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by dcdossett65
And you guys are sure i will retain my grainy harsh cold 90's tone that i love my amp so much for?

fixed. i have one as well but it takes some time to realise its not that great.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
I have never used one, and I would assume that there will be slight tone suck. But I know that the Weber MASS sucks the least tone out of any attenuator on the market.

if you have never used one how do you know the weber sucks less tone that the others?
i had a weber and sold it, i dont think i could notice any tone loss with my dsl, i might buy another to see how it sounds with my jubilee, there seems to be a difference of opinion with attenuators on different forums, on the marshall forum most dont seem to like the weber for some reason, maybe because its not marshall
Attenuators don't suck much tone as long as you don't attenuate too much (> 12 dB).
Even then it's very acceptable. Especially for recording, an attenuated 120w tube amp will sound better than without attenuation because the volumes are too high to mic correctly.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
I have a peavey 6505 and a weber mass 150 attenuator. I used to practice a ton with my peavey/marshall half stack in my room with the weber hooked up, and it does what it says it does very well..low volume levels and great tone.
there are two types of attenuators resistive ones and reactive speaker models. The reactive speaker models supposedly suck out a lot less tone then the resistive models of hotplates and stuff....

I personally love my weber. And would definately recommend one
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I think it's even mandatory if you play live with a 100w+ tube amp. You can never turn it all the way up unless you play in big halls. So you use an attenuator to get that same cranked tone at small gigs.

Edit: I just ordered a Weber MASS 150
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Last edited by Ventor at Apr 17, 2008,
Quote by Ventor
I think it's even mandatory if you play live with a 100w+ tube amp. You can never turn it all the way up unless you play in big halls. So you use an attenuator to get that same cranked tone at small gigs.

Edit: I just ordered a Weber MASS 150

How did you get a Weber in Europe? I thought they wouldn't ship international.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude

They do, just go to their website, add it to your cart and fill in the info. I payed with PayPal. Got a reply straight away from Weber. It'll take about 10 business days to build it and then they'll ship.
Cost me a total of $306 including shipping for the Weber MASS 150, so about $80 to ship to Belgium.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
They do, just go to their website, add it to your cart and fill in the info. I payed with PayPal. Got a reply straight away from Weber. It'll take about 10 business days to build it and then they'll ship.
Cost me a total of $306 including shipping for the Weber MASS 150, so about $80 to ship to Belgium.

Ah. I am not in Europe, but I was just wondering because I had heard from someone that you can't get them across the pond. Those liars.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Ah. I am not in Europe, but I was just wondering because I had heard from someone that you can't get them across the pond. Those liars.

They're not THAT heavy
I don't think there are any legal issues, otherwise the manufacturer itself wouldn't offer international shipping.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor

wow, they must have figured out some production issues. Took 3 weeks to get mine after ordering, and I'm in the US.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
wow, they must have figured out some production issues. Took 3 weeks to get mine after ordering, and I'm in the US.

Well it'll be about 3 weeks too I guess including shipping to Europe.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
Well it'll be about 3 weeks too I guess including shipping to Europe.

very nice. Good choice btw. I had the hotplate, and tried a powerbrake, and the Weber definitely beats them imo. I really like the dual control for high and low attenuation, really allows you some more control over the attenuation compared to the others. Pretty neat design.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by ElDi8blo
fixed. i have one as well but it takes some time to realise its not that great.

You must be eq'ing it badly if you have that opinion. Go listen to In flames, and tell me if you hear a harsh grainy 90's tone. Both guitarists use the amp.

Anyways, this weber 150 sounds like the way to go, thanks guys.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Guys, I'm about to buy a Webber attenuator to my Peavey Valveking 50W, but I dunno exactly where to go. I'm between the Mass 100 and the Mass Lite 100.

The valveking is a 16 ohms amplifier with a 16 ohms speaker. (I e-mailed Webber and he says it's ok for this amp)

what it's giving me 2nd thoughts is that they say the the Mass Lite 100 is an 8 ohm attenuator and i dunno what can happen with this difference in the impedance.

From what I was told at the freestompboxes forum, it seems, depending on the degree of attenuation that the impedance will be between 8 and 24 ohms already with the 16 ohm speaker.
It will change somehow the tone and response, as expected, but my main and big doubt is about the amplifier life working with this impedance differences.

I don't pretend to use the amp volume at the max and the attenuator at the max attenuation too.

In the other hand, the Mass 100 has that switch to match the amp impedance.
Will it be nice and safe running the valveking (50w) with the Mass Lite 100?

Thanks
Last edited by daniel_pt at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by daniel_pt
Guys, I'm about to buy a Webber attenuator to my Peavey Valveking 50W, but I dunno exactly where to go. I'm between the Mass 100 and the Mass Lite 100.

The valveking is a 16 ohms amplifier with a 16 ohms speaker. (I e-mailed Webber and he says it's ok for this amp)

what it's giving me 2nd thoughts is that they say the the Mass Lite 100 is an 8 ohm attenuator and i dunno what can happen with this difference in the impedance.

From what I was told at the freestompboxes forum, it seems, depending on the degree of attenuation that the impedance will be between 8 and 24 ohms already with the 16 ohm speaker.
It will change somehow the tone and response, as expected, but my main and big doubt is about the amplifier life working with this impedance differences.

I don't pretend to use the amp volume at the max and the attenuator at the max attenuation too.

In the other hand, the Mass 100 has that switch to match the amp impedance.
Will it be nice and safe running the valveking (50w) with the Mass Lite 100?

Thanks

There is indeed a problem with impedance with high attenuation. It will never be lower than the speaker impedance however.
But impedance changes with frequency so even without an attenuator the impedance of a cab changes constantly over time.
As long as you don't attenuate for bedroom volumes with your amp cranked there shouldn't be a problem, provided you have a quality output transformer that can handle a 2:1 mismatch.
Obviously your power tubes won't last as long because you're pushing the power amp more, but this happens with or without an attenuator as well when playing at high volumes.
I have a MASS 150w which is also rated at 8 ohms but it really depends on the cab you use. Just put your amp to the same impedance as your cab when connecting the Weber and you'll be fine. Not sure how the switches work on some models, but if there's no switch you can use it for any impedance.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Thanks for your answer Ventor... As I said, I want to put the attenuator in a valveking 50 watts, which is a combo and therefore, I'm not sure if it's possible to adjust the output impedance easily. Anyway, I really don't pretend to crank the amp and use the attenuation at bedroom levels. I intend to have a bedroom level with the amp volume around the middle course... +-

I do hope it's ok and don't have my output transformer and tubes worn out after one or two months of use... :\
Quote by FLCLcowdude

eurotubes.com ship international
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard