I'm wondering what exactly the purpose of 12-string guitars are. They obviously have brighter tones/sounds... and is there a reason why there are many more acoustic models than electric?
they are there to give a fuller sound. they are usually used for singers and strumming stuff. not so much for soloing although it has been done. it just gives a different sound with the octave strings.

but why do they have more acoustic ones than electric? well i guess there isnt as big a demand for them. its like why are there more electric basses than acoustic basses? plus, a lot of acoustics including 12 strings ones are acoustic/electric.
I suppose. Are they not generally used for hard rock and metal? I mean, I think there are some examples from Metallica, but...
They have fuller sound, they sound so amazing playing chords or arpeggiated chord progressions(this of course assuming it is a nice 12 string).
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
they just sound really cool
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
i totally want one. restringing it would be tedious though. but i suppose itd be worth it in the end.
Gear

Gibson Shred-X Explorer
Epiphone Negative Explorer w/ EMG 80/60
ESP LTD EC QM200
Ibanez RG321 w/ EMG 81/60

Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Slant cab

http://www.delusionsof.com
Acoustic 12 strings are awesome!
VERSATILITY!!!!!!!
12strings can sound like a banjo or electric if played right
for further information watch John Butler videos on youtube
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
I was thinking of getting the one for $350. I have yet to buy a semi-hollow electric, and yet to buy a 12-string so I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone. If I had a semi-hollow already, I'd go for the Fender. Other two are out of my price range.
I'd love a 12 string, played loads in Denmark Street, played some Blind Willie McTell and LeadBelly (masters of the 12 string), got some funny looks though.

I think the tone is incredible, it gives the illusion of 2 guitars in complete harmony, which to me is incredible.
They're a conspiracy, they were invented by guitar string companies in a desparate attempt to make more money.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
...they sound different.

Obvious answer, really.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
They sound like multiple guitars with the octave strings.

So if you have an electric, you could get a chorus effect, and it would be easier than buying a new 12 string.

At least that's what I think.
Saint Louis Blues