Im wondering how i should go about getting a band together. A few people in my class play drums and one of my freinds plays guitar but i would feel like such a retard just walking up to someone saying "Do you wanna be in my band?"

So how should i go about doing this?

EDIT: Crap i just realised i posted this in the wrong section =P
Last edited by the_poison125 at Apr 17, 2008,
I say just go ahead and ask them like that. Seriously, what would you say if someone said that to you?

Maybe talk to them, and have music get brought up. Ask if they are in a band, and if not, ask if they would like to start one up. If they really want to, they will put music first and not mind any social faux-pas.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
just start a convo about music and if you find some similarities in your musical tastes and opinions, say "hey we should start a band" in a semi joking/serious manner. If they laugh and go "yeah" go ahead with the idea, if they just laugh, back off. Or just say "wanna jam some time" then after you jam say "that was cool, we should start a band"
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
"Hey, I hear you play (instrument), do you want to jam sometime?" 90+% success rate.
Quote by rockybo
"Hey, I hear you play (instrument), do you want to jam sometime?" 90+% success rate.

This is probably best, create a jam setting.
Don't say you're a 'band' right away, because you're not.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Hey the_poison125,

I was in your position several years ago. Being in a band teaches me a lot of things. My idea on getting a band together is this:

*The mates - Consider who are the members that you want to be in it. What kind of characteristics or personalities of people do you enjoy working with? I think that one of the approaches that you can do is to first get to know "who as a person" those musicians that caught your attention. Maybe you know that this particular guy is really good in drums but has a really pessimistic kind of mindset and treats people with disrespect. I think "who as a person" will matter when putting up a band. For me personally I really enjoy working with musicians who are as serious as I am. Hardworking, knows when to talk and when to shutup, proactive, seeks opportunities, etc. A lot of productive results came when I really enjoyed working with my mates.

*the kind of music - Let people know what kind of music you enjoy playing. Bring a guitar, if you are a guitar player, in class. And play some stuff for fun. In my experience my classmates really enjoyed singing with me every time I bring the axe in class. And I ended up being invited in a band where they play my kind of music.

*Your goals - Sharing your goals with people makes a mark in their minds, I think. What are your goals? Do you desire to become a touring band? Or are you just doing it for fun? Is this going to be for the long term or the short term? In my opinion when you know your outcome, you will never fail to get the right solutions. Yes, there is a chance that you may fail but that just indicates that that approach wasn't good. If you failed, then just think innovatively of a different approach. Until you get what you really want.

*Why you have those goals - why is this important? Cause this will help you and future bandmates push through the bad times. When you have big enough reasons, and you have a total clarity on what your goals are, nothing can stop you.

Hope this will help you. You don't have to agree with everything that I said. Take what you like and leave what you don't.

Take care,
Jose Daniel

PS

Don't be afraid to ask people something. The only questions that I know that are stupid are the ones not being asked. Just be sincere and positive when you talk. People will then be naturally attracted to your aura. =) Update us on how it goes!
Positive and negative emotions cannot occupy the mind at the same time. One or the other must dominate. It is your responsibility to make sure that positive emotions constitute the dominating influence of your mind. - Napoleon Hill
Quote by Jose Daniel
Hey the_poison125,

I was in your position several years ago. Being in a band teaches me a lot of things. My idea on getting a band together is this:

*The mates - Consider who are the members that you want to be in it. What kind of characteristics or personalities of people do you enjoy working with? I think that one of the approaches that you can do is to first get to know "who as a person" those musicians that caught your attention. Maybe you know that this particular guy is really good in drums but has a really pessimistic kind of mindset and treats people with disrespect. I think "who as a person" will matter when putting up a band. For me personally I really enjoy working with musicians who are as serious as I am. Hardworking, knows when to talk and when to shutup, proactive, seeks opportunities, etc. A lot of productive results came when I really enjoyed working with my mates.

*the kind of music - Let people know what kind of music you enjoy playing. Bring a guitar, if you are a guitar player, in class. And play some stuff for fun. In my experience my classmates really enjoyed singing with me every time I bring the axe in class. And I ended up being invited in a band where they play my kind of music.

*Your goals - Sharing your goals with people makes a mark in their minds, I think. What are your goals? Do you desire to become a touring band? Or are you just doing it for fun? Is this going to be for the long term or the short term? In my opinion when you know your outcome, you will never fail to get the right solutions. Yes, there is a chance that you may fail but that just indicates that that approach wasn't good. If you failed, then just think innovatively of a different approach. Until you get what you really want.

*Why you have those goals - why is this important? Cause this will help you and future bandmates push through the bad times. When you have big enough reasons, and you have a total clarity on what your goals are, nothing can stop you.

Hope this will help you. You don't have to agree with everything that I said. Take what you like and leave what you don't.

Take care,
Jose Daniel

PS

Don't be afraid to ask people something. The only questions that I know that are stupid are the ones not being asked. Just be sincere and positive when you talk. People will then be naturally attracted to your aura. =) Update us on how it goes!

Wow O_O

Thanks dude!