i hear so many good reviews on this thing, i have a couple questions about it.

1) Does it sound good with heavy distortion amps like a 6505?

2) If worth getting(99$ is a steal), should i purchase the pedal, or invest in one of the 3 rack options?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
If you already have a rack going, go for the rack version.
The stomp version is pretty good too.
You must have it in the effects loop, especially if you rely on alot of preamp gain.
But, it does rock.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yeah ive got an effects loop, and i run about 6 on the gain on the 6505 which is more than i probably need anyways.

Im trying to get a rack setup going, Im looking to get:
EQ
Sonic Maximizer
Noisegate
Presonus firestudio(already have, might as well throw it in there to protect it)
..any other suggestions?

EDIT: Which rack sonic maximizer should i invest in? Is it worth buy the 250$ one?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Dont get it, It does do what it says and adds clarity but at a price... I thought it was amazing for about a week. But after listening to it you could tell it was adding a digital trail to the tone. Even with the process set to 0. For a solid state amp its amazing because its a digital signal anyway. But for tube amps it sounds to processed.

Also I had the BBE 882I model so pretty much as good as it gets....
For a 5150/6505 the only good Sonic Maximizer is a 422 or 422A. All the rest (ie newer models) don't sound nearly as good as that one. Get a rack version of it (don't even know they made those in pedals).
Trust me on this In fact, a Sonic Maximizer 422 is mandatory for a 6505 if you want to sound good
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
I agree with IbanezPsycho, don't get it. particularly if your amp already has a presence and/or contour control, because that's basically all it is. if you want to clean up the sound a bit, I'd recommend getting an EQ (like an MXR 10 band). that will clean up your tone plus work as a volume boost.
Quote by Pontius2000
I agree with IbanezPsycho, don't get it. particularly if your amp already has a presence and/or contour control, because that's basically all it is. if you want to clean up the sound a bit, I'd recommend getting an EQ (like an MXR 10 band). that will clean up your tone plus work as a volume boost.

For a 6505 it will open up your amp big time, bigger low end, more articulate.
BBE Sonic Maximizers are not a one unit fits all kind of thing.
They suck on Bogners, Mesa's and some Marshalls, but really work well for a 5105/6505. Once you try it you will never play without it, trust me. Nothing any EQ can do. But only the 422/422A do the job well for those amps, others don't sound quite as well.
If you don't believe me, meh, continue to live in ignorance
A 5150 is a great amp, but can be so much better with a BBE.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by IbanezPsycho
For a solid state amp its amazing because its a digital signal anyway.

That's not true. Most transistor amps are analogue devices. Sometimes they have a digital effects processor added, but the ones that don't are 100% analogue.

Modelling amps use a digital computer, but can have either tube or SS amps providing the actual output.

All modelling amps are digital but not all transistor amps are modelling amps.

Yeah, sorry, I needed to nitpick.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Well, it's a hit or miss kind of thing with the sonic stomp.
It may suck with your rig, but with my peavey classic, it rocks.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I've never been fond of them and have posted many times that I think they "process" out all the best parts of a great tube amp. On the other hand I do completely agree that they work very well in rigs built around digitally generated tones.

A friend of mine used to use an XT Live into a 2x12 Tech21 power engine with a BBE between them and it did good things. When he went to a tube amp recently he spent (what seems like) days trying to get it to do good things and ended up shelving it because it kept killing the desirable overtones.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Dont get it, It does do what it says and adds clarity but at a price... I thought it was amazing for about a week. But after listening to it you could tell it was adding a digital trail to the tone. Even with the process set to 0. For a solid state amp its amazing because its a digital signal anyway. But for tube amps it sounds to processed.

Also I had the BBE 882I model so pretty much as good as it gets....

That was pretty much my experience with it too. I had a rack mount version (it's been years, I forget which exact model number, but it was pretty expensive). It sounded really good w/ my rack rig (an SGX2000 processor thru a power amp) & added more life & articulation, but made my '74 Marshall Super Lead sound strange, kind of the opposite effect. "Trail" is kind of a good way to put it. It may work very well on other tube amps, but that was just my experience. The notes weren't as clear to me. I kind of think "less is more" using tube amps in general. The less effects & gadgets cluttering up the signal chain, the better.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Not worth it. Made both my amps sound kind of fake. If that makes sense.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Why does everyone keep saying it sucks on their amps? It is well known they don't work on all amps, but on the amp of the TS it WILL work, and good. This is from personal experience and other players with a 5150 with a BBE 442.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
I used it for a couple years, worked great with recording multifx. I liked it with my amps live too for a while, until I started recording them alot. I started noticing the same things others are saying, it gave each of them the same odd quality in recordings. I know they are in a lot of studios however, but I think they may use them more for other things than the guitar. Maybe they do work great for certain amps, but I got tired of what it did with my amps. One day you turn it off and go, wow, that sounds better, lol. Granted, never used it on a 5150. YMMV.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I use it in the effects loop of my peavey classic. It's really good in the loop. It helps to clear out the kind of muddy cleans, and just helps everything.
But, I hate it on my chicago blues box.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I use it in the effects loop of my peavey classic. It's really good in the loop. It helps to clear out the kind of muddy cleans, and just helps everything.
But, I hate it on my chicago blues box.

Yay! You said "my" blues box! You finally did it! The more I find out about those amps, the more I like them. I need to find one to try !
Edit: Little slow this morning. Just found your other thread, dark!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Apr 17, 2008,
^It's a sweet amp.
I'm not a huge fan of the sovtek power tubes though.
I'm gonna swap them out for JJ's one of these days.
The trem and reverb literally crushed the 1966 blackface super reverb too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
The trem and reverb literally crushed the 1966 blackface super reverb too.

The Blues Box is a modern production amp. Vintage Fenders have...milder reverb and trem. If you play a RI and origional, you'll notice that the RI has trem that will go both faster and slower, and deeper than the origional. But the origional is...how you say..."it".
It's funny. Guitar players think that people they are playing for notice that it "changes" or "sucks" your tone...LOL.
Only guitar players spend all this $$$ to sound almost to exact same as they did 1000 dollars ago
Quote by STABxYOU
That's not true. Most transistor amps are analogue devices. Sometimes they have a digital effects processor added, but the ones that don't are 100% analogue.

Modelling amps use a digital computer, but can have either tube or SS amps providing the actual output.

All modelling amps are digital but not all transistor amps are modelling amps.

Yeah, sorry, I needed to nitpick.

To me they sound digital no offense and i know the difference between the three different types of amps. I was just using the word digital for description purposes... But thanks for nitpicking, because someone would probably get confused...
Both me and my guitarist have peavey preamps (I have the 6505 hes got the 5150). We both use the BBE, his being the rack and mine being the pedal..both of them will add a ton of bite and low end growl to your sound, whether this is desirable or not (for us it is). so if you're into that and you're using the peavey I would highly recommend the BBE.
what exactly does a Sonic Maximizer do?
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
It does something like it makes the sound more orderly. Like, it sorts out all the frequencies so they come out when they're supposed to. It's strange.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by bjoern_swe
what exactly does a Sonic Maximizer do?

it's the lazy man's EQ basically. Only 2 controls, process and contour, process opens up the high end, contour opens up the low end. My understanding from BBE's explanation, is that when listening to a live sound, the different frequencies coming off the speakers hit your ears at different times. The maximizer is supposed to shift those freq's so it sounds more like they are all hitting your ears at the same time, thereby making the tone appear more full sounding.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I cant seem to find a 442 anywhere. Are they discontinued?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
I cant seem to find a 442 anywhere. Are they discontinued?

You mean 422?
Yes unfortunately. Search ebay or craigslist.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Well i think the sonic maximizer works really well after a mixer in a home studio setup and defiantly helps the sound of a solid state amp, kills some of that horrible fizzynes and add bass in the effects loop of course, i tried it in front of my new tube amp and that was a bad idea way to much high end and killed the guitars tone, but i would imagine in the effects loop with moderate settings it mite help tone a little, for instance right now im running the output of my sound card into it and then into my mixer to listen to music, it really sounds great this way makes all my music so clear and i can hear every little sound that i was clouded in the mix before, so i don't think anything they said was BS per say, more dependent on application i suppose. Just my little 2 cents.

- Brent
It sounds great on my JSX, but horrible on my friends Triple Rec.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
these things are pretty bad, i'd recommend spending your money elsewhere.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
I think these things are pretty bad, i'd recommend spending your money elsewhere.
Fixed. Free of charge.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I just wanted to add a point of view..

I found a bbe 422A at a flee marked´n gave 40$ for it

I got to my studio plugged it in my Koch Powertone II and behold, it added exactly what i´ve been looking for,for quite some time.

Now i should say that i´m tuned down to (h) or (B) (depending on youre location) on a Gibson SG Custom Shop and that i play death metal. .....fast

The BBE 422A simply does it all for me, though it´s a bit hard to controle when looking for the right settings i get killer low´s, clear mids and defined hi range when finding it.

Actually i´ve never heared this "sound" else were and i belive i´ve got a unique sound with the combination of my equipment.
The BBE 422A is killer for death metal !
there was a pretty contentious thread on this about a week ago.

What it does:

When the signal goes through the amp, the "phasing" of different frequencies gets screwed up...ie, the low end gets delayed a bit. So, when you hit a note, the higher harmonics come out first, then lower, etc. So, your sound gets "smeared". The BBE SM lines everything back up again.

Thus, it is NOT an EQ pedal, which changes the amplitude of different frequencies (and does introduce some phase-change artifacts, but nothing that can be controlled). It doesn't do what an EQ pedal does, plain and simple.

Key to making it sound good:

Don't over use it. People seem to think that it's supposed to have a huge effect like an EQ pedal does. It's not supposed to, end of story. It's a very subtle thing, when doe correctly. I put low contour at 9 oclock and process at 11 oclock for best results on my amp (homebuilt).

You know you have it set right when you don't notice it when it's on, but if you turn it off you sit there in confusion for 10 minutes trying to figure out what's wrong with your amp when you play.

Another thing is that it doesn't change sound so much for me as it changes the feel of the amp. Pick attacks attack more, your sound has more impact...dunno how to say it otherwise.

And yes, it works best in an FX loop, but it works fine up front too.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by andbaek
I just wanted to add a point of view..

I found a bbe 422A at a flee marked´n gave 40$ for it

I got to my studio plugged it in my Koch Powertone II and behold, it added exactly what i´ve been looking for,for quite some time.

Now i should say that i´m tuned down to (h) or (B) (depending on youre location) on a Gibson SG Custom Shop and that i play death metal. .....fast

The BBE 422A simply does it all for me, though it´s a bit hard to controle when looking for the right settings i get killer low´s, clear mids and defined hi range when finding it.

Actually i´ve never heared this "sound" else were and i belive i´ve got a unique sound with the combination of my equipment.
The BBE 422A is killer for death metal !

THIS THREAD IS ONE YEAR OLD, DONT POST IN IT
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.