it just doesn't look like a "guitar" to me, if you know what i mean. like how you pick one up, and it can feel like either a guitar or some pieces of wood stuck together. and what's wrong with 6 strings?
It bothers me how it seems so many guitarists who use seven, eight string, or down tuned guitars do little more than chug on their lowest note... I mean if someone bought this eight string and understood how to use those two low strings and those low notes, no worries. If you're just going to chug on the 8th string, gtfo. At least know when to use it and still use the other 6 strings you have along with those two thick ones. It kind of bothers me that that's what quite a few people do.
I mean I personally am purchasing a sevener soon for a little more range and for some different voicings, but I doubt it would be used heavily like many other guitarists do with a 7 sting *Ahem* Korn *Ahem*
Last edited by juckfush at Apr 17, 2008,
Quote by juckfush
It bothers me how it seems so many guitarists who use seven, eight string, or down tuned guitars do little more than chug on their lowest note... I mean if someone bought this eight string and understood how to use those two low strings and those low notes, no worries. If you're just going to chug on the 8th string, gtfo. At least know when to use it and still use the other 6 strings you have along with those two thick ones. It kind of bothers me that that's what quite a few people do. /rant

i agree with that... imagine like Jimi Hendrix playing an 8 string, it would be amazing. but in the metal world, i don't think guitars need to get too much heavier than what they are now soundwise. personally i wouldn't have a use for 8 strings. waaaay too confusing!!!!
guitars need more bass range in metal...cause the bass gets mixed out hahaha
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
^^ Exactly my point mate. Metal guitarists especially seem to think low = heavy. In my opinion, having technical proficiency, utilising a knowledge of theory and knowing when to use what is what will ultimately create a song, one with will probably end up being heavier than some low chugging or tremolo picking (Check out SikTh and BTBAM, you'll understand). I mean I'm looking into a seven string but it's only because I know a fair bit of theory and understand how to use those 5 extra low notes. I'd still use my six strings as much as I do now and rarely use that seventh, except when NEEDED. So many people forget that and think because they have a B or F# they should just rape it.
Bu as I stated in my earlier post - If you CAN play your instrument; if you CAN understand theory; if you CAN utilise the two in conjunction, then if you have 8 strings to use good things will come out of it.

EDIT: In response to Rokeman's post
^thread/

my sentiment exactly juckfush. its sad that common sense sounds so brilliant.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Theory is important, but really, Juckfush, who gives a ****.

If I would buy an eight or seven string now, I would use it for the low-end stuff, that's what I'd buy it for in the first place! If I then choose to write cool, low-ass riffs on the eight/seven string, that'd mean that I didn't buy it for nothing. That doesn't mean that I don't understand theory, or that I'm not proficient with the other six strings.
Of course I would still use them for more intricate stuff or technical stuff, and if I'd want to shred out on the higher strings, I'd get my regular old six string.

I don't see the big deal, you buy a Ferrari to go fast and show off, not to do your groceries. Why should a guitar be different.

Unless, indeed, you get bands like Korn. That's just wrong.

Edit:
Quote by juckfush
But as I stated in my earlier post - If you CAN play your instrument; if you CAN understand theory; if you CAN utilise the two in conjunction, then if you have 8 strings to use good things will come out of it.

Right, I skipped over that part, and it basically says we agree on one part, but my opinion still stands.
Last edited by Y00p at Apr 17, 2008,
All I know is when I went to do see Divine Heresy, Dino Cazarez brought one out on stage and suprised the hell out of me. It really sounded low but still clear and powerful. Plus, one of my favorite bands, After the Buiral, use them now, and they sound like they have been using them for years. People will adapt to this the same way they did with 7 strings, and yes, we will get people only playing the lowest two, which is depressing. But, when I see Jeff Loomis or Rusty Cooley bust these bad boys out, I will crap my pants..........
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
All Dino does is tremolo picking and occaisional dropped power chords, he doesn't even deserve a 7-string, he should be playing a standard 6'er...
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I don't own a 7 string. But I want an 8 string... or at least a baritone tuned down to F#
Meh. Copying Ibanez.

I'd like that if I was more obsessive about Meshuggah, but otherwise? Eh.... It's a bit unnecessary. I like 7 strings though, cause they allow more versatility, extended scale, etc.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Iv been wanting a 7+ string guitar for playing Suicide Silence/Whitechapel kinda stuiff. It would be nice to have a guitar like this so i dont have to use damn 12 gauge string on my 6er
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Mesa Boogie Oversized Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
8 string! Thats cool! But i like 7 strings still. Great idea though. I'll try to get 1 wen its available. S there an 8 string fender Strat?
_________
Fernando NL-30 acoustic/electric guitar
Fernando Stratocaster Electric Guitar
Boston 15 watt amp
Amp comes with Distortion and Delay pedals
Doubt they even make a lefty 8 string. Not that i would buy one if there was. 6 strings is plenty. Look what tony iommi did with a 9 ga strings on a 6 string with passive pickups.
Eight seems like it would be a little overwhelming for me. I would like to add a 7 string to my guitar collection at some point though.
I think 8 string is acceptable but anything over that..

get out
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
It's 'Tuned: F#/B/E/A/D/G/B/E' according to that site. I would get one if they weren't so prohibitively expensive, for extra range. I'm also a big Meshuggah fan, and love what those guys do with them (though, that's more to do with their insane timing, than the CHUG HEAVY factor, haha).

I plan to get a 7 in the summer, probably.
A guitar is meant to have 6 strings (with exception of a 12 string.) A bass is meant to have 4 strings.

That is the way God intended it! lol
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
I love it how threads in relation to 7's and 8's always turns into a massive flamefest, i love both the extreme low end and clean sound you get from 8's, with the addition of the higher strings, ok so there not for everyone but there isn't any need to be a whiney bitch about it with how it's not normal.....bass frequencies should stick to bass guitars etc.
the all consuming question:

do you need the high notes, because the point of extending the range is to be able to play lower while keeping the high notes

if not, you can just detune. or detune a baritone. or hijack someone's six string bass and turn it into a guitar :p
i have a 'white guitar'
I agree wtih hmm, So many people have made forums about 7's and 8's being useless for nothing but chugging, but you look at one of the first bands to use 8's, Meshuggah, and they don't do 'chugging' at all. They do polyrhythms and the sort and just hit mostly single notes on the low F because power chordes down there just aren't there style. It's just more notes is the real way to think of, which allows more creativity and something it just makes the music more interesting, that's just how I choose to view it. I don't view it as, Oh they use 7's, br00talness, I choose to just look at it as something different than everything else.
I'm certainly not one to judge. For me personally though, I think I'd rather have a barotone guitar than an 8 string.
I think everyone should take heed the famous 'each to their own' unwritten rule of forums, rather than just completely disregarding any concept entirely.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
I think everyone should take heed the famous 'each to their own' unwritten rule of forums, rather than just completely disregarding any concept entirely.

+1
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras