so i am fairly new to playing the guitar but that isn't stoping me from getting completely tired of this roland cube 15, don't get me wrong it is good for a bedroom but i just want something better.

so what i want is some info on the pros and cons of the marshall mg100dfx and the crate fw120. i know that marshall is a top notch company but from what i've read from the reviews it comes short of the marshall name, i don't know much about crate on the other hand but i have had a chance to play with both of these amps and i found myself leaning toward the crate, but it did sound a little tinny might of been the guitar though.

so if any one knows anything about either amp let me know.
in short, the marshall MG series blows. I tell you this through experience it broke down many a times on me and the sound started to suck alot when i tried other amps. the crate fw120 is perfect in my opinion since i own one, it has great fxs and even better Delays granted of course that you can't really tone some of them down but in my opinion is alot better than the MG. and if i'm not mistaken the MG isn't a stereo combo as opposed to the crate which is, once again. stick with the crate.
My Gear:
epiphone les paul cusom, Limited edition. evo dimarzio pick ups
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Well, I'll start off by saying what ANYONE on these forums would say, and DON'T get the Marshall MG. They're terrible practice amps, and getting a 100-watt practice amp is just ridiculous. Your Cube is much better than the 100DFX. Now I don't really know much about the Crate, but at your price range you should be starting to look into tube amps.

What style of music do you play?

Here are some amps in your price range to take a look at to start you off (Assuming you're in the USA).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480512

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-v32-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487828

EDIT: Of course if you HAVE to get one of those two definately the Crate.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Last edited by polaroidvision at Apr 17, 2008,
I really like that peavey but i haven't seen one of those around and don't like the idea of buying without playing.
mg100dfx sucks harder than a thai ladyboy.

yes, i have played it.

what marshall do is they try and emulate the sound of their tube amps, whereas the crate is designed to beat out that low-end sound associated with solid state...so basically the crate is being made as best as it possibly can be, and the marshall isn't.
neither are very good i don't think - cheap, hi-wattage solid state amps usually suck.

But the real question is why did you make 2 almost identical threads?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Buy the Marhall MG, they're power is maximum!

No, i'm just ****ing with you. Neither are really good amps. You're better off with a Peavey Valveking or a VOX AD30VT/VOX AD50VT.

please give us a budget.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
neither will do you any good in the long run.

why do you need a halfstack? are you in a band with a huge drummer? are you gigging? or just want a big shiny stack to show off?

I'll agree the roland cube 15 isn't the best of the bunch.. but for someone starting out it's really all you need...
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by BGSM
Where the hell are you playing where you need to mic up the drums?

every place i've played at had mic'd drums.. and amps.. and.. anything else that needs to be mic'd..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Blompcube
neither are very good i don't think - cheap, hi-wattage solid state amps usually suck.

But the real question is why did you make 2 almost identical threads?

yeah that was a bit of a mix up i couldn't find the first one so i though it wasn't there and went on to repost it resummarized in a few areas
Quote by Kivarenn82
every place i've played at had mic'd drums.. and amps.. and.. anything else that needs to be mic'd..

Should have worded it differently - I meant where are you playing where you need to mic up the drums but want amps that you don't have to mic up.

30-50w tube would be MORE than enough if mic'd, I think.
no mic i'm competing with another guitarist, once and a while we have a drummer come it but it's purely recreational we play in a, i guess you could call it a workshop and i just need something so he isn't always drowning me out.
i'll have to try and find one, cons of living in a ****ty town with only one guitar store around
a valve junior
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
a competition to drown each other out? this thread spells triumph already.

valveking sounds like it'll be fine for you. don't get an oversized practice amp. i can't believe people are just posting these threads one right after the other.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out