Hey guys, I've been thinking of buying a new amp lately, and I like the nice classic sound that you can get out of the Vox AC30.I play blues, hardrock,classic rock and some metal. What do you guys think about the Vox AC30? Thanks in advance for all your opinions.
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
i love the amp.. but i dunno about metal. you'll probably need a pedal with quite a bit of gain, and an EQ to shape it up. for all the rest, it's brilliant
Awesome, I have my POD X3Live to help me get some gain thanks man.. anyone else?
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
POD X3 Live..xD
an AC30 is really good
id try an oranger rocker 30, havent seen one myself but hear good things
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
if id to plump between an ac30 which i have and a fender twin id be tempted to go the twin route with a GOOD gain pedal ie tubescreamer and use the pod for metal land
Quote by Sirnogbert
...Damn you.
ac30 = the king of amps!

and i heard from a metaller that it could do metal quite well with a pedal

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
while it's a killer amp, you aren't going to get a great modern metal tone out of it, even with pedals. It's just not voiced for it. Should handle everything else you want though pretty easily, awesome amps.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
you would probably need to get distortion pedals, not overdrive, and have a totally different sound form the amp...and really if you arent going to use the cleans much then its a waste because the cleans are why people buy that amp most of the time..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
^They do?
I like ac30 OD better than it's cleans.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Guys, he said "a little metal". I only play "a little metal", so I throw a Metal Muff on my board for when the time comes that I need to play that "little metal".

The AC30 will nail everything you want, and cop metal just fine with a pedal.
I like the overdrive better too, but if you are buying for overdrive only, then its just a waste. it has two channels and you are only going to use overdriven suonds..you will always only use half of the amp...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Guys, he said "a little metal". I only play "a little metal", so I throw a Metal Muff on my board for when the time comes that I need to play that "little metal".

The AC30 will nail everything you want, and cop metal just fine with a pedal.

haha you are putting words in his mouth, he said some metal...but yeah I know what you mean. and yes with some kind of distortion, or muff, it should get it. but dont expect it to be the sound of the ac30, it would be the pedal's sound mostly.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by fifer
haha you are putting words in his mouth, he said some metal...but yeah I know what you mean. and yes with some kind of distortion, or muff, it should get it. but dont expect it to be the sound of the ac30, it would be the pedal's sound mostly.

Some, a little, whatever; it's not his favourite style.

Of course it would be the sound of the pedal, there's no such thing as an AC30 metal tone...

*thinks about adding gain stages to an AC30
yeah thats what I am saying though. if you want the ac30 to sound like an ac30 and do metal, then dont get it. if you dont mind the distortion taking up the sound the great, the amp is for you then..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
I was thinking, since the AC30 has a direct line input, I could just use the amp sims on my POD X3L to simulate another amp. I use the Soloist amp sim mainly for metal because it give me that extra crunch. I'll switch off the cab sims and use the AC30's normal eq for cleans and everything else. I'm really interested in this amp because I primarily use the AC30 cab sim for most of my patches, its not as good as the real deal though.
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
POD X3 Live..xD
If you're into metal then i wouldn't go for the AC30. I have one and I love it, but I also only play funk/blues and classic rock. The cleans and crunch are amazing, but after all it is one of the clean amp kings.
I play 'some' metal. The first thing he listed was blues.

The AC30 is sex. I would kill a small kitten to get one.(not seriously. Maybe another small mammal, but only for the purpose of food).
well take your effects to the store, or if they have it use theirs...and try out the vox ac30 with the effects you want, then see if you like it for me metal...
Quote by RetroGunslinger