Guys

Anyone own a Boss GT8? I'm considering buying one this weekend and I'm wondering, would I'd use it through the clean channel of my amp? I ask because I'm having some amp problems but only with the lead channel so I can still use the clean channel. I will take the amp for a service but if I buy the pedal I may leave it another week so I have it for this weekend at least.

Also has anyone used the 4 cable method where you use the effects loop rather than guitar>GT8>amp? Which I think allows you to still use the amps pre-amp.

Feel free to give your opinions on the pedal

Much appreciated
The 4 cable method is the way to go. Putting the GT-8 in front of the amp doesn't really sound as good. With the 4 cable method, you're pretty much bypassing the amplifier's preamp, effectively turning your amp into a power amp thus giving you the option of using the GT-8 as your preamp.

Of course, for the best possible tone, I suggest analog pedals or amp drive.

Because as they say, 'Often replicated, never duplicated.'
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Thanks for the advice.

Pretty sure I'll go with the GT8. I've heard it takes time to familarise yourself with all the controls, but that's part of the attraction.

So would I use the clean channel rather than the lead? I'm a bit confused as too which EQ I should use, the pedal or the amp? And if you use the EQ control on the pedal would I just set the EQ on the amp to 12 o'clock?
With the 4 cable method, you use none because your amp's preamp is bypassed.

Without the 4 cable method, you'd use the clean channel. Use the EQ on the pedal, keep the EQ on the amp flat.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
With the 4 cable method, you use none because your amp's preamp is bypassed.

That depends what you want to do. The point of 4 CM is so you can use your amps preamp and put FX before OR after your amps preamp. You are telling the GT-8 that your amps preamp is a effect that will turn on or off with the loop button.

I personally like to use my crunch channel, which is already overdriven and put a booster on it to push it into hard overdrive. I am still using my amps preamp so I use that EQ. I would say anytime you are using your amps preamp use your amps EQ. I like mine, once it is set up right it really does not make a tube amp sound digital. It has a lot of cool features and you can really do ANYTHING you can think of with it's programmability.
If you would like a used Gt-8 I'm selling one in mint condition. Send me a PM if you're interested.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Ask two string on teh gt-8 thread.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Terrible wah, tone sucking univibe, and fizzy preamp/dist. I gave up on mine and just sold it for $225 last week. I recommend a pass. I used it with a Peavey C30. Used the 4CM (GT-8 preamp off) with dist pedals (Rat, Big Muff, MXR Dist+, Nady TD-1) and the C30 pre-amp in the loop. I just didn't feel it was worth it. In th eend it was a thumbs down. YMMV
The GT-8 does require a extensive setup for optimal sound and transparency. I have a nice tube amp, I didn't want to have any tone sucked from it. I was planning on returning it, if it turned out to be a cheap tone sucker. After I spent a lot of time with levels and metering, I was amazed. The only thing that wasn't up to par in my opinion is the preamp's. They sound like a SS amp, thin flat, they don't pound like my amp, so I don't use them. The OD/DST are real good. The wah is as good as any wah you will buy in GC. Every effect is so much more tweekable then a single pedal.

Everyone will have different opinions about this. I know for a fact if it is not set up right, it won't sound good. Sometimes I have to double check my amp to see if I am on the distorted channel or if I am using the GT-8.
The wah is as good as any wah you will buy in GC. Every effect is so much more tweekable then a single pedal.
This was not my experience with the wah at all. The wah has very little in the way of tweakable parameters. The functional sweep of the wah was non-existent. It's like at a certain point it crossed over between full on or full off with little sweep in between.

I will agree that the unit has significant tweakable parameters. And perhaps with enough effort you could eq each and every patch and effect to sound reasonably good or even great. But I didn't find the GT-8 to be reasonable in terms of quality vs. effort to get there. I have a old Morley wah pedal that walks all over the GT-8 wah. I have an older Zoom 707 II that has a wah that would own the one in the GT-8. Perhaps you could globally calibrate the exp pedal to make the wah decent, but what will that do to every other use of the exp pedal? I owned it for a year and don't regret selling it.
I should also add that I'm not calling the GT-8 crap. My specific problems were the wah and I didn't like the univibe. Since I think a wah is significant, it's worth noting. Perhaps my statements were not balanced enough. The chorus, reverb, and delay are all just fine. It's not a bad unit. And using the 4CM with a decent amp and/or dist pedals works very well.
One thing I have experimented with a lot, is to put the wah after distortion and mild it down a bit. I have great results doing that. Both of your wahs are probably better then the GT-8. What I was saying is the 535q or Slash or Dimebag or any of those are about the same if not worse then what I found you can do with the GT-8. I had a cry baby classic and a 535q that I returned, and I am more then happy with what I get from this. I will admit if you want the best of something, get the pedal, not a FX board.

I was looking for a wah that would get a good wah sound on high notes, high strings. Every pedal I tried at GC did the same thing, a treble or volume boost, no wah. Thats when I bought the GT-8. I took it home messed around with it and get a great wah sound on those high note.

I will admit of you are looking for a quick multi FX pedal easy to use, this isn't for you. I have found it takes time to get great sounds. If you are willing to put the time in it is the best multi FX for the money you can get.
i have a gt8 and i put it in front of my amp (in the chain) and try to use my amps natural gain. it takes a while to tweak but once u get it it sounds way less digi if u have some real tube gain there. you might find it helps to use very little distortion from the board and reverb helps it to be a lil easier on your tube.