Hello

I've been playing guitar for like a year now, and i want to buy a bass guitar.
so i found this "Epiphone EB-0" and i was wondering if any-one knows some stuff about it.
I found this starters pack around it "http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-EB0-Gig-Rig-Bass-Player-Pack?sku=517236"
I'm planning to play lots of styles ; rock, blues, easy listening.

Thanks in advance ^^

paolo

p.s. would i need a special bass amp? or can i use my normal guitar amp?
Gear:

Jackson performer (miJ)
Cort Earth 700
roland cube 15
Behringer Wah
Boss rc-2 loop station

Dutch Power!!

Quote by DieGarbageMan
Proffesser Oak : I Came when i heard you beat the elite four

Last edited by Piel at Apr 17, 2008,
you would need a bass amp. unless you like explosions.

but i think the general mood around here is EPIPHONE ARE REALLY BAD
the thunderbird is horrible, the EB-0 is even worse. dont get one.

really. been there. dont do it. get a squier jazz or an ibanez.

and for the love of god. its bass guitar not base. n00b
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
thanks, ill look into that one ^^

Quote by elliott FTW

im Gratly sorrey for Thies Tiepo i maid, i wil trie toe nat doe it agen
Gear:

Jackson performer (miJ)
Cort Earth 700
roland cube 15
Behringer Wah
Boss rc-2 loop station

Dutch Power!!

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Quote by Piel

im Gratly sorrey for Thies Tiepo i maid, i wil trie toe nat doe it agen

lol. well recovered.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Actually, the probability of it being a typo are pretty low, as you needed a double s. You hit the first one, so you'd have to be a bit special to hit the wrong key on the second stroke.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
He's from holland @_@ give him a break.

Also, i think jaco [forum member] described the EB-0 in one of the bass threads.

It's the semi holo one, right?
And you'll be needing to buy a bass amp, unless you want to blow your guitar amp.
Are you just buying the bass, or are you buying the starter pack? You didn't say how much you are spending on it either. I have not played that particular model, but I would be leery with only a single humbucker at the neck and it is a short scale bass. I would check the Ultimate Bass FAQ for a bunch of really good starter basses.

EDIT: to everyone who didn't look at the link the TS posted: here is the bass in question
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-EB0-Electric-Bass?sku=518523
I highly recommend that if you like the EB-0, you shell out the extra cash for the EB-3. Many forum members do not have a high opinion of them. The main gripes are muddy tone and a nasty head dive.

I personally like them, and will probably get a Gibson version, but honestly, go to a guitar store, plug one into the amp, and try it out. Find out how you like the feel, and the sound.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by gm jack
Actually, the probability of it being a typo are pretty low, as you needed a double s. You hit the first one, so you'd have to be a bit special to hit the wrong key on the second stroke.

That was some real Sherlock Holmes shiz right there, Jack...

And I concur with most of this thread, Epiphone are not known for their bass making.

And yeah a 'special bass amp' is always a good idea.
Don't forget, ESP/LTD also make an SG-style bass that might be a bit more pleasing on the ears and hands.

And I dare someone to complain about ESP/LTD quality in a thead where the dude wants an Epi EB-0.

*insert someone daring and going lolololol*
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Don't forget the following praise on this bass guitar from the Musicians Friend website

"Great axe for anyone not quite large enough for a full-sized bass!"

I'm insulted.

No seriously, besides the other issues, it is a short scale, of which I am not a huge fan for a variety of reasons. I would definitely play this puppy before I bought one.
I'm with Tam on this one, I'm really not a fan of short scale basses. I have huge hands so I'll take 35" scale over anything else. My cousin has the EB-0 and it's ok, but like any other Epiphone bass, It's lacking in tone and balance. But, you should play one before you buy it and if you like it, buy it. Playing an instrument isn't about having the coolest looking or best thing, it's about finding the one that you like, and the one that sounds good to you.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Quote by rasinañte
http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb7534.html
This bass will be pretty much the same except less muddy and more modible. I have played through an eb-0 for a while and its not bad if you eq it right. I never would have bought it if i had seen this bass though.

By less muddy and more modible you mean worse in every way possible, right?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
By less muddy and more modible you mean worse in every way possible, right?

All a matter of opinion i suppose. The parts to mod it will be easier to find and it is about the same quality. I have nothing against my eb-0, its sexy as hell if you can get over the tone. I don't know what you have against sx but they having amazing customer service if you get a dud. Seems like a worthy investment for a beginner.
Quote by rasinañte
All a matter of opinion i suppose. The parts to mod it will be easier to find and it is about the same quality. I have nothing against my eb-0, its sexy as hell if you can get over the tone. I don't know what you have against sx but they having amazing customer service if you get a dud. Seems like a worthy investment for a beginner.

Customer service does not fix a standard of terrible instruments. I think the final nail in the coffin for me is that my friend's SX strat's maple neck is ORANGE.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Thanks for all the advice.
but i didnt really allready pick the eb-0 as my guitar, just as an option becous i thought "epiphone is a good brand, so the bass must be good too" < wrong, apperantly
my budget will go up to 400 euro i guess, but thats for the bass and amp.
im open to any sugestion ^^
Gear:

Jackson performer (miJ)
Cort Earth 700
roland cube 15
Behringer Wah
Boss rc-2 loop station

Dutch Power!!

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Quote by rasinañte

wow I can't believe you actually care about looks more than tone. If there's anything that should matter in picking an instrument its tone and playability, which the eb-0 has neither of. Best bet is to go for a nice cube combo and a squire jazz or p bass. they're quite cheap and play nicely for their price.
The EB body is so sexy. Which is why we this should be developed:

EDIT: Sorry bout the size.

Last edited by Captain Insano at Apr 18, 2008,
Dude, it neck dives like hell a) as a guitar, and b) as a short scale bass with a 2+2 headstock. With a 34" scale 4-on-a-side neck...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by elliott FTW
you would need a bass amp. unless you like explosions.

but i think the general mood around here is EPIPHONE ARE REALLY BAD
the thunderbird is horrible, the EB-0 is even worse. dont get one.

really. been there. dont do it. get a squier jazz or an ibanez.

A lot of people slate epiphone basses but I honestly prefer my thunderbird to my mates jazz that cost him almost £1k. EB-0's a pretty good for the price
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!

wow, I would totally play that bass, Except I'd want a Maple neck.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
if you buy that bass your hands will fall off, and then how will you masturbate?

in short don't buy this bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by JobyByTheNight

wow, I would totally play that bass, Except I'd want a Maple neck.

dude- you may enjoy the fenderbird.
not quite the same but I think entwistle used one for a short period of time.

I played one- lovely on look, one dimensional on tone, dives like crazy
EDIT: review on eb0, not f-bird
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom