Ok this is a little embarrasing, i can't seem to find the answer to this simple question... "Functions are said to rules on variables X and Y, are all rules functions? why?"
Quote by saphrax
Cows produce milk, but is all milk produced by cows?

yeah, something like that but honestly i have no idea...
If there is more than one value for x, then it isn't a function. For example, y=x^2 is a function, but x=y^2 isnt. x= | y^2 | would be, though.
Quote by Unforgotten
x = across
y= horizontal

And this is why we don't ask the pit for homework help.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
And this is why we don't ask the pit for homework help.

Lol. I only just read that...
Quote by lp_std
functions cut the x axis more than once. relations do not. so no, all rules are not functions

That makes no sense, your tellin me "y=x+1" isnt a function? Im sorry but i think it is.

Quote by umop-3p!sdn
If there is more than one value for x, then it isn't a function. For example, y=x^2 is a function, but x=y^2 isnt. x= | y^2 | would be, though.

Functions dont have to have an inverse, it just means its not injective.

A function is basically a set of rules that tells you how to get from the set X to the set Y.
But all rules arent function. For example, X>0 is a rule, saying X has to be positive, but it by no means maps the set X to another set, and so isnt a function.
Quote by saphrax
Cows produce milk, but is all milk produced by cows?

*insert joke about your mother producing milk

Quote by Unforgotten
x = across
y= horizontal

I lol'd
O.o

Lets have a sexy partay!

Quote by R_U_READY?
brutal cabbage you sire are, in all sense of the word, a LEGEND no abbreviation can portray the hilarity of what u hav bequeathed to us, i love you for this

I am loved!
Quote by soulflyV

A cat has legs, a table has legs, therefore table = cat.