I've been playing electric/acoustic guitar for about 2 years and it's been pretty much an on and off thing, a tab here, a tab there, but I'm not making any real progress. I just want to hunker down and start practicing the basics, I want to build my speed and accuracy playing single notes(arpeggios, solos, etc.). Where's a good place to start practicing from scratch?
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you... - Abomino Aetas
to get some exercises and start practicing scales and whatnot check out the music theory thread in the musicians section it has shteez like that
Gear:
Gibson Explorer, Wine red Natural finish
Hughes and Kettner Vortex Black series, Half stack
Peavey Stereo Chorus 400
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
As much as it hurts, start with the goold theory. In my opinion if you truly want to "hunker down" as you say, and become a better musician, theory will greatly help you out. Learn, modes, scale degrees, chord progression stuff and try putting it into practice. If you want to make your own solo's that is. Improvisation is truly th ekey to good guitar playing, if your just wanting to build speed and become good at solos you want to learn, then practice scales, people say pentatonic are good scales to learn on but whatever tingles your pringles.
Start with some incredibly easy songs with some good picking exercises in them, that way, you're learning a certain technique while learning a song too, which will give you ideas for future compositions and further your technical ability.

I don't really know what to suggest because I don't know what you play.
Quote by slayerbizkit
I've been playing electric/acoustic guitar for about 2 years and it's been pretty much an on and off thing, a tab here, a tab there, but I'm not making any real progress. I just want to hunker down and start practicing the basics, I want to build my speed and accuracy playing single notes(arpeggios, solos, etc.). Where's a good place to start practicing from scratch?

I use free drum machine software called Hydrogen (google it, it's a great program)
I usually make a track starting at 70 bpm with a cliche drum pattern ie

Kick Snare   Kick Kick Snare 
1     2        3     &     4 

The software displays how much time you were playing a specific pattern, which really
comes in handy. I usually run up and down minor scales and sweep pick arpeggios, I move up in increments of 10 bpm, until I get to about 150 bpm, where I usually stop. I don't go much farther from that because my picking tends to become noticably sloppy when playing 16th notes beyond 150 bpm. But you probably shouldn't increase the increments very highly. The only reason I move up in larger increments is because I warmup with this everyday, and so slower tempos are no problem. Every few days I try to go up 5 bpm or so, but I never force it. Always make sure you play everything as cleanly and accurately as possible before increasing the tempo. You could also use a metronome instead, but I did that for awhile, and it can get very monotonous at one point. Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of going too fast too soon.

Hope this helps.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Start with some incredibly easy songs with some good picking exercises in them, that way, you're learning a certain technique while learning a song too, which will give you ideas for future compositions and further your technical ability.

I don't really know what to suggest because I don't know what you play.

My bad, I play Metal and Spanish Folk music mostly. I'll definitely look at that theory thread and learn some basic scales and whatnot.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you... - Abomino Aetas