http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7351314.stm

Pretty Sweet suit

Here is a longer youtube video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=h2jlIRKswnQ

US army develops robotic suits

By Rajesh Mirchandani
BBC News, Utah

Rex Jameson, software engineer

On the big screen, films like Robocop, Universal Soldier and forthcoming release Iron Man show man-machines with superhuman powers. But in Utah they are turning science fiction into reality.
We are at a research facility on the outskirts of Salt Lake City, ringed by beautiful snow-capped mountains. Once they held the Winter Olympics here; now they are testing endurance in other ways.
The aluminium limbs gleam in the brilliant sunshine, as the strange metal skeleton hangs from a safety harness at the outdoor testing site. It seems to be treading water; actually its programme is telling it to keep the hydraulic fluid in its joints moving.
Rex Jameson, a software engineer here at laboratories run by Sarcos, the robotics firm which designed the XOS exoskeleton, steps up and into the suit.

Stephen Jacobsen, Sarcos
The lightweight aluminium exoskeleton, called XOS, senses Rex's every move and instantly moves with him; it is almost like a shadow or a second skin. It is designed for agility that can match a human's, but with strength and endurance that far outweigh our abilities.

With the exoskeleton on and fully powered up, Rex can easily pull down weight of more than 90 kilos, more than he weighs.
For the army the XOS could mean quicker supply lines, or fewer injuries when soldiers need to lift heavy weights or move objects around repeatedly. Initial models would be used as workhorses, on the logistics side.
Later models, the army hopes, could go into combat, carrying heavier weapons, or even wounded colleagues.

The XOS in action

There are still problems to solve, not least how to create a mobile power supply that can last an effective length of time.
But the US military expects to take delivery of these early prototypes next year, and hopefully deploy some refined versions within eight years.
It is a long way off before we see robot soldiers that can fly or fire missiles - like in the movies - but the designers are already imagining future versions more reminiscent of Hollywood.

This one is really cool to, it has been posted here before it's called "The Trojan" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqa08UGZGtk
Last edited by GNR's Fan at Apr 17, 2008,
oh yeah, I heard about this a couple of years ago, when it was still in the concept stages. They're also making guns with a camera on them, with a link to an eyepiece, so you can point your gun around a corner and shoot at a target without having to expose your body.
Yup you see that at the end of the youtube video looks alot like something from metal gear solid 4 or the modern battlefield soldiers.
If I had one, I'd name him Arnold.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
When he was dancing, I thought of “Obey the Walrus”
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
oh yeah, I heard about this a couple of years ago, when it was still in the concept stages. They're also making guns with a camera on them, with a link to an eyepiece, so you can point your gun around a corner and shoot at a target without having to expose your body.

i remember seeing something like that as well..

ide name mine.... smarterchild
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Thats some Rainbow Six shit right thar.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by saphrax
Meh. Nanotechnology is going to surpass this in a few years.Linky

what happened to his face?

that looks kinda cool
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Thats some Rainbow Six shit right thar.
Actually, it's for the French Army, so that they can point it over their shoulder and try and shoot the Germans while they run away.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
No good can come of this, I tell you. We'll eventually build skynet, it will become self-aware, and start killing people left right and center.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Yeah so who wants to be the first to talk sh*t. Game Over.
Sitting on the edge of nowhere.
Watch Out or Ill Steal Your Girlfriend... or Wife.
Roll Tide
THAT IS AWESOME! One step closer to Crysis suits

Though I don't like the idea of it beinga robot if you step out of it. If it CAN be a robot, it means it has AI. If it has AI what it if malfunctions and accidently thinks it has no human inside, and does some awkward stretch, splitting the human apart. Tasty.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Isn't that Ghost Recon 2?
Were they not trying to make that a few years ago. How hard can it be to stick a mini cam on the end of your gun, and put a little computer near your eye?
McLovin is my hero!

It's not the going that the pit cares about.
It's the coming.
Quote by McLovin-
Isn't that Ghost Recon 2?
Were they not trying to make that a few years ago. How hard can it be to stick a mini cam on the end of your gun, and put a little computer near your eye?

It needs to be combat tested and sh*t. That can take a while.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

yep dude that a israeli concept... search cornershot on youtube...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fWcuHMbnYtE
Quote by andy331

and i used to hump everything in sight and i had fake sex with my styuffed animals and pretended they were the pink power ranger!
Last edited by Maxv4 at Apr 17, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It needs to be combat tested and sh*t. That can take a while.

Well, they sure are slow.
McLovin is my hero!

It's not the going that the pit cares about.
It's the coming.
Quote by McLovin-
Well, they sure are slow.

I doubt it's something they want to rush into...
Halo
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by MightyAl
Actually, it's for the French Army, so that they can point it over their shoulder and try and shoot the Germans while they run away.

Interesting...
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Wow that and the models look straight out of Aliens (Alien 2) haha.

exactly what I thought

though I suppose they are probably a little more similar to the ones from Matrix revolutions
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
That guy in the picture looks more like an uber ghost-buster
Rule number three: Never open the package

It's magic magic baby!

Yoink!
I'm curious as to why they have to keep running around to take the ammo case off the platform. Why didn't they just get the guy in the suit to take it off again?
Surely that would be easier...

The suits at the end look pretty badass, funny to think that something that used to exist only in fantasy is now becoming a real life object.

edit: combining it with something like this would be awesome http://youtube.com/watch?v=xqa08UGZGtk&feature=related
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.