the active ones have a powered pre amp in the guitar i believe, as for what ones better depends what you play
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
the active ones have a powered pre amp in the guitar i believe, as for what ones better depends what you play

well i play alot of metal...
Actives run on batteries and are generally higher output. They tend to handle gain better at the cost of tone (debatable). Generally with actives, your cleans will suffer and your overall tone will be sterile.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
well emg 81's and 85's are good for metal but there not very versatile there active, im not sure about good passives for metal though
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
EMG's (as all actives aren't necessarily EMG's) can sound great with an expensive tube amp, but that's pretty much it. They (EMG 81, 85 in particular) compress the sound a lot, in my opinion they seem to be all about power at the loss of dynamics and tone. And they'll sound quite poor with a non-proffessional amp, most of the time.

There are awesome passive pickups for metal, sesp. DiMarzio have some great alternatives to active metal pickups. But without the compression and one-dimensional tone, or the distorted cleans.
well the overal tone of the passives is good. while the tone on the distortion on actives is better. and dont associate actives with bad cleans, theres emg 81 and 85 for dist, and theres emg 60 for cleans and dist.
Quote by xtreme2ya
well the overal tone of the passives is good. while the tone on the distortion on actives is better. and dont associate actives with bad cleans, theres emg 81 and 85 for dist, and theres emg 60 for cleans and dist.

"Better" being rather subjective. MORE dist, sure, but better, I'd personally say no I'm not a fan of the EMG 81 tone especially not for leads, they sound to shrill and undynamic, like it doesn't matter how you attack the string it makes the same sound anyway.
I generally go for high output hand wound passives as they sound airier, more harmonic, and less compressed that actives or machine wound passives. Of course the trade off is more feedback and a little bit less low end definition than is capable with the other two options. For metal I actually prefer machine wound PAF style passives as they tend to be very crisp and easy to control without a ton of noise. To be perfectly honest, I really haven't played a set of actives that I liked.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM