I was playin through the school's Hot Rod Deluxe today in jazz band and It just started cracking. Like somebody was pulling the cable out of the guitar and putting it back in, but there was still the sound from the guitar as well. What could be the problem?
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Guitar's fine, sounds perfect through other amps, tried about 4 different cables, same thing. amps less than 8 months old, so it shouldnt be tubes. tried the other input jack and got the same thing.

could it be overloading the amp on the low end?

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Quote by icon_player_5
could it be overloading the amp on the low end?

I don't think so, you're not playing a bass, are you?

Look around the room to see if anyone left their cellphone, ipod, laptop, whatever near or on the amp?

And tubes can go microphonic in less than a year, if your luck sucks. Try tapping a pencil against the preamp tubes (covers off) and listening for noise.
No, not playing a bass through it. There were plenty of laptops around seeing as our school issues MacBooks to all students, think that might be the problem?

Also, we turned the bass from 12 down to about 7 and the crackling went away for the most part.

I'll try tapping the tubes when I can. But I'm not sure on how to do that. Do I just pull the cover, turn the amp on without any cables to it and listen for the crackle when I tap it?

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158