I love writing, the only problem is that I suck at it. It usually sounds better better in my head, but when I get it out on paper, it all sounds messed up and not as good. Anyone have any tips of how to become a better writer?
1. Make sure your in a writing mood, if your stressed out or exhausted then save it for another day.
2. Make sure you want to know what you write about or you could just improvise as you go along.
3. Make sure it has a melodic flow.
4. Choose a structure, could be the simple intro,verse,chorus,verse,chorus,solo,chorus,intro

Hope this has helped :-)
I appreciate the input....

Yeah, the problem for me has always been sticking to one subject... or even choosing one subject. I always right so generalized.... It's usually hard for me to find something to actually write about, as in what exactly it is I'm trying to get across.
my problem used to be that id have a great idea and sit on it for a while before i got it down. you hafta write stuff down as they are as soon as they come to you, otherwise it wont be right later on
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul St.
Peavy Classic VTX 200w
dunlop crybaby wah
boss metal zone distortion
Quote by Nikon87
I love writing, the only problem is that I suck at it. It usually sounds better better in my head, but when I get it out on paper, it all sounds messed up and not as good. Anyone have any tips of how to become a better writer?

just get pissed
Quote by Nikon87
I appreciate the input....

Yeah, the problem for me has always been sticking to one subject... or even choosing one subject. I always right so generalized.... It's usually hard for me to find something to actually write about, as in what exactly it is I'm trying to get across.

That's how I usually write (lyrics), It's OK to make more than one point, Even two completely different points in the same song.
Quote by Nikon87

The good writing don't have to be big. Write in small sentences, if you're doing it right, try to write in long sentences. The important part is that you like your song/writing. Something like that. It doesn't have to have rules, make it your own. Your style is the most important one. If you know your style, everything will lead to success. I don't know, do you understand me?
Guilty as charge
Gear:
Ibanez RGT42BP (pimped)

Amp:
Ibanez Toneblaster 250

Other:
Tremolo from Boss
Footswitch to Toneblaster 250.
Korg AX3000G
Quote by guitaristben
1. Make sure your in a writing mood, if your stressed out or exhausted then save it for another day.

This may work for some people, but I find that being stressed out can give me a better capacity to write. Writing generally involves the expression of emotion, and so extreme moods tend to make it easier. That's just me though.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Automatic writing is the way to go, I always find. Just get a spark word (or even don't...), set yourself a time, maybe start at five/ten minutes, and just write, don't pause, just write. I think of it as like mining, the ideas are 'somewhere', but you need to get all the mud out first, before you find a seam. The actual automatic writing may not yield anything good (but it might), but if you do it time and time again and find yourself returning to the same themes, then this will give you some idea of the themes you should expand upon.

Having done this for a while, you need to find some people to offer you proper (read "harsh") criticism, so you know what works and what doesn't.
Ceci n'est pas une signature
storiesville.com

its a very helpful writing community, you post your work and people will comment on it, tell you how to make it better.

i be Nate Stanford
If you mean story writing (but from the rest of the posts it seems not), look up Chuck Palahniuk's website. It's got some good tips and stuff.

toasted_lemmings idea is a good way to go try it
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Quote by jimRH7
That's how I usually write (lyrics), It's OK to make more than one point, Even two completely different points in the same song.
Or no point at all.

I played bass on a song by Rusted Root called "The Cat Turned Blue"

Let's just say the old Bill Hicks adage holds - they were reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal fuckin' high on drugs.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Just take some community college courses on it or something. I did, and it definitely helped.
We're only strays.
Just think about all you can write about, and all what you want to write about. After having lots of ideas, just put it to the paper. And ideas should appear really quickly. Just think alot before you write about it. (lyrical creativity and literatly)

Practice. Write about anything and everything, it doesn't have to make sense or anything. After you've learned how to get things out your head, learn how to put them in order.

And read. A lot, you can always pick up some techniques and some other good stuff you can use
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Read more and also dont always go sh8t thats no good. remember there is something called a ruff draft.
Sitting on the edge of nowhere.
Watch Out or Ill Steal Your Girlfriend... or Wife.
Roll Tide
read. its the best way to become a better writer. read and read and read.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Zugunruhe
read. its the best way to become a better writer. read and read and read.

But don't read too much, or in a heavily intellectual environment. Since I began to study English at a good university I've become less good at writing simply through creative paralysis in the face of far superior 'masters' (eliot, joyce etc.) and peers whom I perceive to be better than I am.

Write for yourself, having read a lot of contemporary writing, then get constructive criticism from good, active and aware communities, on or offline

EDIT: When I say don't read too much, I mean too much in too much detail. Discovering that TS Eliot managed to place disguised sonnets within the Waste Land, or that Joyce acually intended all the allusions within all his prose, can be a little dispiriting.
Ceci n'est pas une signature
Last edited by toasted_lemming at Apr 17, 2008,
Read lots. Work on writing techniques: characterisation, plot/theme development, rhetorical devices, imagery etc.

And the most important thing: just keep writing. Practice.
Quote by pureebil333
plagirism (sp)

Ahh the irony it wasn't possible to plagiarise a dictionary.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Anyway man, drop by S+L here, every writer there that has been around a few months will tell you they've grown so much. If you're willing to give opinions on others, they'll do the same for you. Plus we have stacks of info to help you on your way in the techniques forum.

It's not that scary.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
I sucked at writing when I first started. It takes practice... alot of it. Reading alot helps too.
Some people are only alive because it's illegal to shoot them.

Due to current financial restraints the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice. -The Management-