Page 3 of 5
Quote by destroy_techno
I get bored with melodic death very quickly.. It's good in doses, but I enjoy straight-up death loads more..

And Postmortem2006... Just stop trying, you obviously don't know what you are talking about

Sorry, I need to stop drinking lmao

Having re-read my last (drunken) statement I'm actually just gonna stfu now because I've aid all that needs to be said - death metal = Death

/slurry rant
of course it is because Death is metal, and hence their brand of metal is Death's Metal, yes yes yes! just like Wintersun play metal and hence they're Winter Metal
Melodeath is different from melodic death metal which is different from death metal which is different from tech death.

Melodeath: Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquility, Norther and such.
Melodic Death Metal: Amon Amarth, (after Symphonies era)Carcass, At the Gates
Death Metal: Death, Obituary, Morbid Angel, Barnes-era Cannibal Corpse
Tech/Brutal Death: Nile, Hate Eternal, Origin, Necrophaggots, Corpsegrinder-era Cannibal Corpse

that's how i look at it at least.
theres failed genre naming and literal sense, so there is a difference to those pedantic enough, however as I've mentioned it seems me and my brethen wouldnt call it anything else either -though I pondered why not just "Melodic Extreme Metal" lol >.>- anyway
so what exactly separates melodic death from melodeath? I read the list of bands (like cob being melodeath and atg being melodic death) but I think that although they're pretty different they still all fit under the same label of melodic death metal because mdm covers a wide range of sound.

If I'm wrong, please explain the differences.
Hm I wouldnt agree on the bands he placed on the division IMO those all fit pretty much under the same type of melodeath kinda, just into a further division I've made such as "finniepop" and more thrashy MDM... whereas I'd cite bands like Vehemence and Intestine Baalism as literal Melodic Death Metal... so pretty much I wouldnt change the massive umbrella that Melodeath is just because it has gotten comfy over the years and theres quite a diverse group of bands under it while some take the genre name literal and others just are like "lulz we plai cr0ss string riff0rz & fil 0ur s0ngs w/p0ppy leedz & cleen v0killz & shrieks"
Quote by webbtje
Whatever. Let's just agree to disagree, but maybe chill on being so confrontational?

<---- HE STARTED IT!

yea anyway, was a bit under the influence when that was posted. i dont think i posted anything non-offensive that night. although you did start it
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by postmortem2006
Sorry, I need to stop drinking lmao

Having re-read my last (drunken) statement I'm actually just gonna stfu now because I've aid all that needs to be said - death metal = Death

/slurry rant

bookmark this. this is the kind of statement that is forgotten about in a few months when he actually gets into death metal
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Quote by NosferatuZodd09
Hm I wouldnt agree on the bands he placed on the division IMO those all fit pretty much under the same type of melodeath kinda, just into a further division I've made such as "finniepop" and more thrashy MDM... whereas I'd cite bands like Vehemence and Intestine Baalism as literal Melodic Death Metal... so pretty much I wouldnt change the massive umbrella that Melodeath is just because it has gotten comfy over the years and theres quite a diverse group of bands under it while some take the genre name literal and others just are like "lulz we plai cr0ss string riff0rz & fil 0ur s0ngs w/p0ppy leedz & cleen v0killz & shrieks"

To quote the amazing Dylan Moran

"Stop
Speaking
Goo"
Quote by Magero
To quote the amazing Dylan Moran

"Stop
Speaking
Goo"

To side with MHDrunk, if you're someone else's bitch, stop acting tough. (See your sig)

Massive amount of stupidty incompatible (oh man just as stupidly unexplained as your post! SWEET) Drone is now ignored further attempts of communication will be met with a kind "Silence jizzrag."

Quote by jetfuel495
so consider the jester race by in flames and since the day it all came down by insomnium. Which is which?

TJR can be slighty more "deathier" but nonetheless I'd place them under "2nd wave melodeath" along with albums like... ATG's SotS, possible Insomnium's demos and In the Halls of Awaiting (For closer examples), Eucharist's Mirrorworlds, Lothlorien's The Primal Event, Sins of Omission's The Creation and Flesh On Your Bones seeing as the riffing is somewhat rather similar in structure but these bands nonetheless added their own touches and still being quite different, hell I'd probably add Arsis' ACoG to it considering they borrow a ****load of the riff structure and add there touch here and there as well . Amon Amarth is also a part of it, haha.

Such pedantic divisions quite help state what kind of Melodeath you're looking for, as I've said before when I say I like Melodic Death Metal, I want to say I like bands like At the Gates (all albums...), Eucharist, Vehemence, Intestine Baalism and The Black Dahlia Murder (post Unhallowed... Unhallowed is not bad... just not up to par and not enough DM-ey to be called literal Melodic Death Metal)...

While I may like moments/bands from the other subdivisions of MDM (though mostly Chronological, its actually riff structure, i.e.; even if Fatal Embraces' Shadowsouls' Garden was released in 1997 way after the fact of Skydancer, it manages to have its own range of feeling and added riffing structures to make it their own brand of First Wave Melodeath (which includes In Flames' Lunar Strain, ATG's With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness [though this one I believe might also befall under "literal MDM" and uh... Subterranean, fitting in loosely, I guess TRITSIO by ATG might also befall both of those categories as WFIKTBD does... just very different in melodic patterns making it completely their own :S).

I might add this band Underthreat to the 2nd wave "style"... www.myspace.com/underthreat

Anyway, I've lost my train of thought by now, and as stated I like alot of bands from all the small subdivisions I've made haha... so anyway jetfuel, if ya wanna know more about my division system just pm and Ill write a nice list with some band names and possible check out sources.

Going to bed, good night.
Last edited by NosferatuZodd09 at Apr 19, 2008,
melodeath, melodic death metal....pretty sure its the same genre man....you can go and create all the funny little differences you think exist between them... but melodeath is just shortened for melodic death metal..
Just to but in, that's like saying Brutal death is the same as Technical death, is the same as Slam death.

I think it's about time these distinctions in melodic death metal as a whole should be 'officialized', if that makes any sense.
Quote by webbtje
Just to but in, that's like saying Brutal death is the same as Technical death, is the same as Slam death.

I think it's about time these distinctions in melodic death metal as a whole should be 'officialized', if that makes any sense.

who cares. people that know what they're talking about can tell this difference. who cares about everyone else.

people like apocalypse_now know absolutely nothing yet think they can conclusively say that 'melodic death = melodeath'

however that attitude does remind me of you coming into my Insanity thread and saying 'possessed was the first death metal band /thread' or whatever you said

gawd, people still seem to not understand that Im not saying they're different genres... they're subdivisions, in my philosophy, fer christsakes, and thank ya MHD and Webbeh, good ****
yea. thats the point we need to iterate - they are related but different. most people here tend to think that a) melodeath is an insult or b) they think they know what they're talking about but don't or c) they have some irrational phobia of subgenres

gawd, even before i clicked on this i had a feeling that this thread would be a lot of angry people saying angry things at each other angrily about the definitions of genres and stuff.

Sounds fun - I'm in.
hm neither of us are angry lol, good ol' jetfuel seemed interested and i had to enlighten him, web and mhd took care of some old business and seem on better terms now imo so so far quite productive me thinks =p
Quote by MHDrunk

however that attitude does remind me of you coming into my Insanity thread and saying 'possessed was the first death metal band /thread' or whatever you said

Oh cheer up. You claimed they were the first DM band and you were wrong. Let it drop already.
Hush Nick (PWF) close the Arsis thread then as well :P
Through repeated raping of others I've finally got supporters for the further subdivision of MDM (Webbeh & MHDrunk)
And the TS actually got some more indepth knowledge and new check out tips
so uh it had a good use in the end...
You can use it as a subdivision all you like, but it was originally just a short way of saying Melodic Death Metal. Just like 'Lol' is a short way of saying Laugh Out Loud.

You may have started to interpret it differently now, but I still don't see it as two different subdivisions. I see it as a language thing.
Quote by NosferatuZodd09
I interpret it literally, not as some lame chords and keyboards with occasional leads perhaps you do

No sir. I just mean Melodeath = Melodic Death Metal. It was just a short way of saying the genre.

It may have evolved into two different subgenres nowadays, but I still think it was just a language based difference.
How so do you mean a language based difference? O.o

I pretty much believe it came about when a random person with a very slim knowledge of death metal hear the early bands and thought "hm... screams....... occasional guitar leads............ death metal....... + melody............... melodic death metal !!! "

but go on

pretty much the way i put it is everyone calls said bands melodeath, and thats cool but I use Melodic Death Metal in a literal way, like Vehemence, or Intestine Baalism
Quote by NosferatuZodd09
How so do you mean a language based difference? O.o

I pretty much believe it came about when a random person with a very slim knowledge of death metal hear the early bands and thought "hm... screams....... occasional guitar leads............ death metal....... + melody............... melodic death metal !!! "

but go on

Argh, i'm not making myself clear.

I just mean, the only thing that separates Melodic Death Metal and Melodeath is the way you say them. I don't think they were originally two different subgenres. Melodeath is just a shortened way of saying Melodic Death Metal. People may use it differently nowadays, but that's how it was originally.

As for the differences between Melodic Death and plain Death Metal, the differences are clear. It's death metal with melody! You're probably right, someone probably just heard elements of melody and elements of death metal and created the term there and then.
nono, no elements of death metal, just heard screams and called it Death metal, guitarwise alot of MDM bands dont have much to do with DM

and yeah they werent separated before with the new variety of sounds under the umbrella of melodeath and the such, hell im not saying "separate the genres" im just setting them into groups in which the bands are similar for recommendation purposes and other stuff, just read through this whole thread lol... no need in repeating it over and over
Quote by NosferatuZodd09
nono, no elements of death metal, just heard screams and called it Death metal, guitarwise alot of MDM bands dont have much to do with DM

and yeah they werent separated before with the new variety of sounds under the umbrella of melodeath and the such, hell im not saying "separate the genres" im just setting them into groups in which the bands are similar for recommendation purposes and other stuff, just read through this whole thread lol... no need in repeating it over and over

Haha I know I know. I'm just adding fuel to the fire. Ah well, i'm just repeating everything that's been said, I shall stealthily exit the thread now.
mmhh... hard choice, I like em both, but when I decide to listen to death metal, I prefer to listen to some TECHNICAL DM coz its a lot better...
Best band of all time: OPETH.
I love angela Gossow. do you?
Quote by Garret.
My friend found nudity on youtube the other day

that was definitely a highlight of my life
well, things have gotten more interesting since i last checked. got alot of good info from this thread.

so if i wanted to get into what we call 'literal melodic death metal', wheres a good starting point? something close to lunar strain or slaughter of the soul would be nice.