Page 5 of 5
Quote by unfathomable_bo

"lul dekrepit berth's nu album is reel melodic, it must be melodic deth!!"

Unfortunately that's how it is and there's no point in caring really.

Besides, as Nosferatu said there's no point making a whole new genre, some people just want to use Melodic Death to describe DM that's melodic, for rec purposes. It's not that people are lumping every death metal band that has melody into the Melodeath genre.

Yuk. I'm not taking part in this **** no more. Heh.

On-topic: Love some of both, hate most of both.
Straight Death Metal. Melodic Death annoys the piss out of me most of the time.
"Oh, it's just you." - Famous Last Words
I enjoy both. I think they both are really cool and deserve credit.
"If its the audience whos a bit lagging we just kick em in the nuts till they wake up!"
Bruce Dickinson-Iron Maiden

My Gear:
RG 2? (its white with EMG's)
Crate GT220, 120 watts of absolute awesome!
Quote by unfathomable_bo
I wish melodic death was called something else

It would certainly ease the confusion amongst imbeciles

"lul dekrepit berth's nu album is reel melodic, it must be melodic deth!!"

You call Vehemence Brutal Death though that was only really in "The Thoughts From Which I Hide" while on God Was Created a melodeath -from either type really, literal or ATG influenced is present for most of the tracks while the "brutal death" only really shines on "Lusting for Affection" or barely on "The Lord's Work"- Helping the World To See is much more straight Melodeath of the ATG School with some slightly more elaborate riff work but yeah I Forgot, if it has gutturals it must be brutal regardless of the guitarwork, given that some gutturals splattered over some relatively popish guitar work (like your silly pride) will make it death metal

"lulz lyk luk guise I's haev prewblums cumin in2 terms wit duh presuhnt"

The basis for the goddamn connotations I bring up is that really why call it melodic death metal when it nearly has no death? Diminished Between Worlds has a primary percussive base of death metal while playing melodic&technical riffs over top of it,

either way, eat **** for all I care, you "grace us" with random wisdom in the form of silly comments without much thick content and a good noob quote to put what you're saying into the comedic realm of ridicule, still, relatively spineless in content... thanks though, Im glad you remember me

Quote by Sumbang
A lot of Old School Swedish Death Metal was infected with melodies, whether consonant or dissonant.. for example Utumno's Across the Horizon EP or God Macabre's The Winterlong.

Death metal, and its got melody. So do we call it "literal" melodic death? Unfortunately for the nit-pickers Melodic Death Metal was coined for a slightly different brand of metal that fused the ol' skool with Black Metal (IMO - the tremolo picking & higher/harsher screams) Power Metal (IMO - the soaring melodies) and death metal, of course. Melodeath was simply an abbreviation.

Ceremonial Oath
Dark Tranquillity
At The Gates
Dissection
Unanimated
... which all started around '89/'90.. of course some would argue "WTF!? Dissection are melo-blackk!" but so what, they had more prominent black metal influence, ALL the bands listed had HUGE black metal influences in their first outputs. Anyway, my point is Melodic death was a melodic blend of the extremes, not death metal made melodically.

Then into the late 90's and early 00's, you all know what happened. All of a sudden it sounds nothing like how it started out, and here we are arguing.

IN CONCLUSION, hah.. call it Death Metal w/ melody or something, the term MELODIC DEATH METAL is TAKEN!

Sorry in advance for any hurt feelings, hehe na seriously this is just my view.. criticism invited! Peace.

Uh No reason for me to dislike him, he stated his way of thinking and me and him talk relatively often through soulseek; I "liked" him since the first post he ever did on the melodeath thread, where he himself kinda divided it himself, just like I have, the only part he seems to disagree with is the more literal meaning

In my case I'd have to argue why call something what it obviously isnt; and uh "In the Forest of the Dreaming Dead" has 4 tracks outta 5 from the demo, he's pretty much saying "although there are bands that literally are melodic death, melodic death was given to something which isnt death metal with melody" hence Melodic Death Metal seems really unrelevant

hell in alot the vocals are more black metal oriented like he said so its like "oh sweet power metal with high shrieks has alot to do with death metal and its melodic so hence melodic death metal, YET theres death metal that has a very strong prominence of melody in pretty much every song for vast amounts of time of the album,BUT IT ISNT MELODIC DEATH METAL BECAUSE TAHTS NOT WHAT SOMEONE ELSE CALLED IT BACK IN THE DAY AND HENCE ALTHOUGH THE LITERAL MEANING IS VERY CLEARLY BASED IT HAS NO FOUNDATION IN TODAYS DAY!" so on so forth

Which in my opinion seems extremely retarded but oh well, let "imbeciles" dwell

Hell lets stick with this way of thinking neglecting evolution and leaving old obsolete roots behind and lets go back to enslaving africans and denying women of their rights, also lets kill electricity and go back to candles, "lulz nutin' lyk grundpaw's world lulz" so, I can say "eat poop and die"

Which also seems funny, lets go back to being pagans, **** electricity and all this **** I miss living in a forest with twigs up my asshole and not having electric guitars and internet

Anyway, unto the list of bands, not quite black metal though my "history of black metal" is quite limited and I havent seen any actual threads here to enlighten me, one of the few BM bands that I can see those bands you listed (sumbang) being similar to is Naglfar with their arpeggiated tremolo picking and vast tremolo picked landscapes. As people have mentioned and I happened to agree, tremolo picking does not make Black Metal

Is it me or you're forsaking DT's early EPs A Moonclad Reflection/A Trail of Life Decayed?

Are you only mentioning Ceremonial Oath's Carpet? or are you also including A Book of Truth?

Those were quite deathy too, if you're mentioning them as Melodic Death Metal, they can pretty much quite fit the "literal" meaning thing =\ oh well

Same I can say for At the Gates, please dont forget Gardens of Grief, TRITSIO or WFIKTBD ... which I see as a hybrid of the SotS era ATG and TRITSIO hence breaking itself into a uncategorized "Melodic Death Metal" Territory which I cant quite figure out and hence earning its godly (in my eyes) spot

Hm Dissection is a touchy one, as you said it is primarily its brand of black metal but it occasionally blends in a shade of melodeath, IMO not enough to consider it so, by any standards =\ I think a good representative of the Black Metal movement is the riff structure that goes something like this

Powerchord on low strings -> let ring arpeggios in the higher strings, which you can see in various BM bands I believe as well as in Dissections' own Where Dead Angels Lie

From what I noticed, tremolo picking had become prominent in both BM and DM in their early manifestations from Sweden and back... however, Black Metal seems to have used it in higher frettings and more expanded throughout the fretboard (well not counting Darkthrone's Transylvanian hunger rofl, although alot of them stay in the higher frettings...) whereas Death Metal used it within the lower frets and in a more contained space, and I guess in disonnant patterns or just not your common "oh melodic" way

hence where my previous statement of interpretation of melody came in, hence I dont think I've ever interpretted anything as being brutal -save for maybe a random Rompeprop song I heard hahaha...-

Well as usual my train of thought has been slowly vanishing... so I'll stop here for now probably missed a whole buncha **** that I wanted to add to certain segments, so I guess as people point **** out I'll keep answering :P
Yay, finally the huge melodeath post happened!

How about this:

Melodic Death Metal = Melodeath

melodic Death Metal = Death Metal that is melodic.

Kind of like the difference between Communist and communist.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
I wouldnt try to put a tree together, too much tracking down of thousands of bands I dont care about at all -including pretty much all genres- lol... and tedious... as for random descriptions and bands that fit random classifications -of melodeath, DUH- I wouldnt mind putting some random **** together maybe... lol oh well,

I dont get the "communist Communist" thingy, if you wouldnt mind explaning XD as for the MDM thingy Im not really pushing for it to be official,

given that melodic death has been my favorite genre for years and like Sumbang we've come across so many other bands people here dont know **** about, well for us some random uh differences are required when we talk about random bands and what not...

also well, for other people arguing about other genres and **** being subdivided further, dont ask me, Im almost certain there will be other people that make said divisions in their own field of expertise and what not

hell Thrash is already there somewhat with the "bay area" "german" and all that ****, thought I think I've heard "Stockholm Death Metal" somewhere and what not but oh well, as for Gothenburg, IMO the only actual original Gothenburg ones are the debuts and what not like Skydancer and Lunar Strain I guess -shrugs- (TRITSIO maybe) Fatal Embrace's Shadowsouls' Garden too... good stuff... meaning pretty much the original creators outputs till probably 1996 maybe till Whoracle/The Primal Event/Shadowsouls' Garden

anyway... uh ... yeah...
Aww guys

Yeah I guess "HUGE influence" is an exaggeration. But IMO they had enough influence to be seperated from "straight up death" just like early-Naglfar and Dissection weren't "straight up black" 'cause after all my Opiniyone was that Melodic Death is all about a fusion, if it was just a melodic kinda death metal it would just be straight-up death. IMO!!!!!

And yeah IMO there's nothing retarded in saying so&so isn't a Melodic Death Metal band even if it has melody cause we're using MDM as a genre-label, not a description. Hell I always describe straight up death bands as melodic death, just like I'd say fast, mid-paced, doomy, dissonant, wacky death metal. Call it what you want, but calling something Melodic Death just because it's Death and it's melodic will just create MORE confusion. IMO!!!

and yep.. I was talking about all those you listed, and I haven't really thought about it til now but based on my view I'd call Gardens of Grief Death Metal, Early DT mdm and the same with ceremonial oath's debut. Sure they were deathy, but when wasn't melodeath inspired or based upon death metal? (amongst other styles)

Now I'm going to shock people by saying that all my fave death metal and melodeath are all in a folder named Melodic Death Metal. Death, Death/Black, Gothenburg, WHATEVER!

sorry what was the question again?
I'd have to say I prefer a lot of Melodeath, as I love the chuggyness of most of the newer bands now, but Brutal Death is one of the most awesome genres ever.

I don't understand what all of the 'CC are so generic' stuff is about.
They're brilliant! The last two albums would have to be two of the best ever Brutal Death albums. The guitar work is brilliant, Paul is fast as hell on drums, Alex is incredible and no words can describe the brutality of Corpsegrinder's vocals.
Quote by jetfuel495
****s getting complicated. Anyone care to make a family tree of music?

yea i had this idea. an evolution of metal type thing which goes into a decent amount of subgenres and say at least 5 or so bands/albums as an example of each. i would probably need some help for genres i don't know about (i can cover straight up death, all sorts of black, thrash, traditional, traditional doom, funeral doom, nwobhm, war metal, old speed metal, old power metal). ill probably get nosferatu to do something on melodic death and melodeath, and ill get someone else to do tech death and brutal death. obviously there is more but yea, i will get into that. i have a program that constructs family trees so ill use that but with genres/bands instead of family names haha.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by MHDrunk
yea i had this idea. an evolution of metal type thing which goes into a decent amount of subgenres and say at least 5 or so bands/albums as an example of each. i would probably need some help for genres i don't know about (i can cover straight up death, all sorts of black, thrash, traditional, traditional doom, funeral doom, nwobhm, war metal, old speed metal, old power metal). ill probably get nosferatu to do something on melodic death and melodeath, and ill get someone else to do tech death and brutal death. obviously there is more but yea, i will get into that. i have a program that constructs family trees so ill use that but with genres/bands instead of family names haha.

make sure you include deathcore and flametal.
pretty interesting that oughta be an interesting project, I say Mortiis also collaborates if he wants; just tell me what to list and what to do lol oh well, I promise to add no bias^^

Flametal could go under Progressive or Avant Garde no?

Supposedly Breed77 is also Flamenco/metal

Hm if only Dinasourbrocore was here to help with the Deathcore side of things or the core parts as he was quite well versed in them as well :S...
Last edited by NosferatuZodd09 at Apr 22, 2008,
When you say communist you mean somebody that supports communism and stuff. When you say Communist you mean somebody who may or may not be dedicated but is part of the Communist Party in the country he's in.

I think that there was another word like this. I'll look for it and then edit.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
so what i want to know is that if youre gonna distinguish melodic death metal from meloDEATH because of the fact that meloDEATH doesnt really have much to do with DEATH metal at all, why call it meloDEATH? ... i mean, look at all the alternatives we have here:

melometal
melothrash
heavymelo
melo yelo
melon
we'll go over this further and i'll sort it out ina nice manner for the tree MHD is making, also, well add me to yahoo aim or msn -its on my profile- and ill tell ya my ideas lol
Quote by NosferatuZodd09
we'll go over this further and i'll sort it out ina nice manner for the tree MHD is making, also, well add me to yahoo aim or msn -its on my profile- and ill tell ya my ideas lol

Noo....you won't.
Not again
Quote by Magero
Noo....you won't.
Not again

way to try to instigate and start up more ****, yet again
that post was directed at jetfuel as for him...

Quote by jetfuel495
now a while ago when sumbang mentioned that ceremonial oath was melodic death metal, didnt stromblad leave that band because they wouldnt let the music go in a more melodic direction?

Carpet = standard flair melodeath

Their debut however is quite Deathy so it'd be something like Death Metal with alot of melody =s even some keyboards lol

As for the history Im not too sure, I didnt care much to read reviews and I havent come across random trivia facts
Quote by NosferatuZodd09
pretty interesting that oughta be an interesting project, I say Mortiis also collaborates if he wants; just tell me what to list and what to do lol oh well, I promise to add no bias^^

Flametal could go under Progressive or Avant Garde no?

Supposedly Breed77 is also Flamenco/metal

Hm if only Dinasourbrocore was here to help with the Deathcore side of things or the core parts as he was quite well versed in them as well :S...

I love you for stating my two of my favourite bands.
They are awfully underrated
I'd say that I like straight death metal more.
Here are my favorites from each genre:
death metal: Death (more progressive/tech IMO), Bloodbath, Gojira (more progressive/tech IMO)

melodic death metal: Arch Enemy, Kalmah, old In Flames
Quote by postmortem2006
Death metal = Obituary, Death

Generic mainstream death metal = Cannibal Corpse, Nile

Melodic Death Metal = Dethklok, Arch Enemy (but AE suck)

You are very ignorant. Work it out.
Subgenres are very integral to metal due to the fact that it exemplifies metal's diversity and versatility for change and differentiality in the genre itself. Yes, they are important and whoever said that subgenres shouldn't exist in Metal is most likely wearing a Dave Matthews band T-shirt while playing Gamecube and drinking Nattie Ice.
Quote by larrytheguitar

I put the blanket over me and make my knees into a 'tent' so he couldn't see my boner. I jizzed while he gave me a lecture on using coasters.

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
my guess is that he meant CC and nile are mainstream FOR METAL.

obviously no metal is mainstream since people these days are retarded...but when it comes to metal some bands are known by everyone.
My signature sucks.