Yeah, I'm sure people have made threads on this before.
But I have a few things I'm looking for, so wanted to know if you guys could help me.

I currently have a 30 watt Kustom practice amp, which seems pretty old, it's got a built in distortion, which sounds more like a fuzz.

I play an Ibanez S470DXQM which a Dimarzio D sonic in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. I gig this about 3 times a month with my band of fellow 15 year olds.

I play lot's of prog rock and metal stuff, Dream Theater being one of my favourite bands, Rush, Yes, some of the older Genesis stuff. But then, I also play some stuff with my band that more people would know (Guns N Roses, Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Muse, Queen, Red Hot Chilli Peppers etc.).

So. Yeah.
I'm wanting an amp that i could get a suitable sound that would suit any type of stuff i wanted to play. Not after anyone's exact tone in particular, but something i could play around with.

I haven't got any sort of job, i've not got enough time with school work at stuff at my age. But I'm after a new amp. I've got about £200 to spend at the moment, so can't really afford anything ridiculously good.

Things I want from it:

Must have a decent built in distortion
Must have effects loop
A large enough wattage to gig often (im thinking about 100w)
Must have nice cleans + distortions and stuff.
Have a footswitch

Any ideas? I'm looking at the Marshall MG series at the moment.
how much can you get a JCM900 combo for?

but btw dont buy the MG!
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
line 6 spider
if you can find a 2 they will be abit cheapr
but yeah
go for the line 6 versatile as ****
ok, wont do too much good when there is a TS who wants a MG, and someone recomends a spider. I definitally suggest looking into better amps.

*leaves thread* [/thread]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by benjistar666
line 6 spider
if you can find a 2 they will be abit cheapr
but yeah
go for the line 6 versatile as ****

*facepalm*
That's just as bad as the MG. TS, if you can afford a 100w MG you can afford a small tube combo. Shop around for used ones. I like the JCM900, as ssguitar suggested.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
The JCM is about double what i have to spend on an amp.
And I'm personally not a massive fan of the Spider series. My school has some 75 50 and 30 watts. And they're just way too digital sounding for me. The more expensive series are brilliant. But too expensive for me.

Why not the MG's? I know people say they're bad and stuff, but after having tried them , i dont see why.
Well if you would like a solid state amp you should look into the Roland Cubes.

The 60W version is very loud, has an effects loop and is very versatile. I have the 30W and its brilliant!
Tell me, who is this?
It's Mr. Lemon...
What are you doing here?
I'm off to the cupboard, where I keep the bodies...
Bad Mr. Lemon, bad lemon.
And I think i'd rather have a Solid State, I have more experience with them and stuff.
Behringer makes some "eh" modeling amps that are extremely cheap. They are not great but I used to have a GMX 212 and it got me by for a couple of years. I switched to a Marshall AVT 50 half stack which is better but still "eh".
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by Bonceyrogs
The JCM is about double what i have to spend on an amp.
And I'm personally not a massive fan of the Spider series. My school has some 75 50 and 30 watts. And they're just way too digital sounding for me. The more expensive series are brilliant. But too expensive for me.

Why not the MG's? I know people say they're bad and stuff, but after having tried them , i dont see why.

ever think of buying used?
new stuff is way overpriced anyway. MGs sound like bees in a box. its horrible. small tube amps are the way to go. and btw you can get away with a 30 watt tube amp at any gig. set it up on a chair to help project sound better.

-just my two cents-

EDIT: though you are more familiar with SS amps, your ears and your listeners ears will thank you for going tube. The MG is just as bad as the spider, bottom of the food chain. They are just oversized practice amps

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Only problem I have with tube amps, is that i wouldn't have any idea about changing the tubes and stuff, how much it'd cost, how to do it, all that.

I'm not after a modelling amp, I've got a few stomp boxes and stuff that I'm happy with. I just wanted the amp to have a decent built in distortion as well. Not too bothered about the effects on the Mg, I was looking at them plainly for the price of them.

I'm looking round second hand. The cheapest JCM i can find around my area or on ebay is about £400. Which is too much for me.
Quote by Bonceyrogs
Only problem I have with tube amps, is that i wouldn't have any idea about changing the tubes and stuff, how much it'd cost, how to do it, all that.

I'm not after a modelling amp, I've got a few stomp boxes and stuff that I'm happy with. I just wanted the amp to have a decent built in distortion as well. Not too bothered about the effects on the Mg, I was looking at them plainly for the price of them.

I'm looking round second hand. The cheapest JCM i can find around my area or on ebay is about £400. Which is too much for me.

looked at any of the suggestions ive said?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
I like the Laney. I've played on one before, I didn't know they came within that price though, it didnt cross my mind to look into it. I'll look into them second hand, see how much they are and stuff.
they are goood my old guitar teacher swore by them, glad i might have been of some help
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Hmmm...
Well, I'm struggling to find any second hand. There's non on ebay whatsoever.

But i'll definitely look into them more. Yeah, thanks for the help.
I'm gonna go ahead and say that if you don't have effects and need them, get the AD50VT. If you do have effects, get a small tube, though I don't know what you guys have cheap over in the UK.
I'd suggest saving up a bit more and getting an amp that you'll stick with for a while. A vox valvetronix will be good for now, though.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Bonceyrogs

Pull tube out, put new tube in.

About £20 and 10 minutes work, and you only have to change them once every few years.

Now, get yourself a nice tube combo, your ears and audience will thank you for it.
Now, just a while ago, I bought myself a Boss Gt-6, just too see what it was like and stuff. I've got some single stompboxes as well, but I've spent ages sorting out some nice sounding settings on the Gt-6. I've heard people say that mulit-effects units are a waste if used on tube amps. Would I be better with a SS amp if i was to use my GT-6 anyway?
Quote by Bonceyrogs
Now, just a while ago, I bought myself a Boss Gt-6, just too see what it was like and stuff. I've got some single stompboxes as well, but I've spent ages sorting out some nice sounding settings on the Gt-6. I've heard people say that mulit-effects units are a waste if used on tube amps. Would I be better with a SS amp if i was to use my GT-6 anyway?

No, tube amps (99% of the time) are better than SS amps.

The GT-6 will sound okay with a tube amp, it will sound better if you can bypass the pre-amp on the pedal or the amp.

But in your case, a small tube amp would be great.
Any suggestions for a small valve amp then?
I'm looking into the laney lv-200 at the moment and i can't find any marshall vavle amp's in my price range.
that laney is a hybrid. i wouldn't bother. if you're after laneys, look for the lc and vc series ones. 30w will be loud enough for any gig, and should be in your price range on ebay.

re: marshalls, you will struggle. if you look hard and get lucky you can snag a jcm900 on ebay for around £250 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320226536702&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011), but realistically, the only things that are really in your range are probably the jtm30s, which can be easily snagged for less than £200 on ebay. fairly notorious for breaking down though, so i wouldn't recommend one unless you're comfortable with trying to resolve any of the possible problems.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Don't go for Marshall, they are not good for your price range.

Check out the Laney LC and VC series as they are probably the best low cost tube amps.