how does les claypool do that flamenco strumming thing that he does?

i can do it, but not very fast. is there a specific way of doing it?
Quote by ~Danny~
Must if they break for me, better sounds come from the way you play more-so than the strings.

Quote by ~Danny~
>hen I said 'must', i meant just.

Quote by ~Danny~
I think we've realised I can't type by now...
hello
always good to find a Primus fan, although there's 100's on this website I reckon...

hmm the strum, I remember when I first started learning this, it's just a question of finding a comfortable and efficient method that suits u, for instance, I use 3 fingers in a strum, whilst my friend only uses 1.

dont use ur whole hand, that will slow you right down, the power should come from ur fingers alone, the movement should come from the middle knuckles (Im crap at biology, I mean the joints half way up ur fingers ok?) This helps speed and efficeny

Start off slow,and build up, the songs I used to get it down were John the Fisherman and the start of Wynonas BBB, also the intro and first verse of Always by Blink 182 is fun and easy to strum.

after that maybe try Southbound pachyderm, and then Lacquer Head and Golden Boy for the 3 strings at once strumming

hope this helps, PM or reply in this thread for better explanation if not

EDIT: the hardest part IMO is the upward stroke, its all about enuff force to push those fingers back up, hitting the strings but not getting stuck on them, with practice ull find the perfect angle and such
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
^ The upstroke is definetly the hardest. It takes practice, hurts like hell at first too! A good song to practice with IMO is "American Life". Nice song to get the rythym of the strum down. "Here comes the bastards" is sweet too.
Quote by Sly Taco
^ The upstroke is definetly the hardest. It takes practice, hurts like hell at first too! A good song to practice with IMO is "American Life". Nice song to get the rythym of the strum down. "Here comes the bastards" is sweet too.

yeah but American Life has that weird constant mute thing goin on

sweet song though, Here come the bastards is a great idea though

too many puppies is the easiest, and if your slap's good try the main riff of To defy the laws of tradition
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Groundhog's Day is also a great one to practice on.To Defy the Laws of Tradition is great
Indeed. Specifically, you'll want to check out the song from beginning to breakdown - excellent workout on playing chords with up/down flamenco strokes. Another one to look in to is Pudding Time. During the verse he does muted strums that are surprisingly difficult to play at the right speed.

Outside of Primus, the Frog Brigade's David Makalaster might be another good one to check out.
One thing that helps is using a really light string gauge. It will also make his two handing tapping easier - you may need to crank the gain to compensate for sustain. Though, if you're playing Primus... the gain should already be there.
I just started to learn this technique. I'm working on "American Life" .... sort of. I'm just playing one note, but trying to keep a consistent rhythm. Much like Les does at the beginning of the song live:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dfHCG6t9Gs0
I think I'm driving my roommate crazy! I'm having trouble landing my thumb on the E string on the down stroke. It just makes a nastly clang and lacks and real thump.
The most efficient way I have found to do it is using my middle finger only. You want to start start the stroke in pretty much the same position that you would be in to pop the string, but with your hand above the lowest string that you are aiming for. I just snap my finger into a fully extended position and then bring it back to a closed hand position, grazing the strings mostly with the finger nail. This gives me a sound pretty close to the percussiveness of Claypool's.
Quote by Jiimy
The most efficient way I have found to do it is using my middle finger only. You want to start start the stroke in pretty much the same position that you would be in to pop the string, but with your hand above the lowest string that you are aiming for. I just snap my finger into a fully extended position and then bring it back to a closed hand position, grazing the strings mostly with the finger nail. This gives me a sound pretty close to the percussiveness of Claypool's.

that's what my mate does, who I mentioned in my first post, it is a good method

TS, just take the advice on this page, and mess about, find the way that's right for you
Quote by the humanity