My summer project is to start building on a used strat body. When I purchase the body, what are the major things to look for? Are the majority of strat bodies alder? Also if I get a body with an HSS cut is it possible to still mount a single could pup where at the bridge where it is cut for a humbucker (and vice versa...can a body be cut to accommodate a humbucker if it is cut for SSS?)?
~Nick
You can get Strat bodies in several woods from Warmoth.

You could mount a singlecoil in a position cut for a humbucker - just get a pickguard of the right configuration.

You could route out space for a humbucker, or just buy a body with HSH (or even HHH) configuration.
See if you can find a chambered one. The sound and sustain you will get is pretty amazing.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Sorry for the newb question but what exactly is a chambered body? And as far as woods what tends to be the crowd favorite? I have a mahogany LP and an ash tele. I love the resonance on the tele but that may have more to do with the string-thru body.
~Nick
If you go to warmoth they will have pictures of chambered strat bodies. My Tom Anderson is a hollow classic and it really blows any other strat that I have right out of the water.Basically its a solid body with cavities routered out.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Are their necks high quality? I kind of like the idea of at least having a fender neck. Then again that is probably for nothing more than brand recognition...hmm.