Ok. So I want to start recording. I have a couple pieces of gear laying around and want to know if I need to replace change anything, and also what I need next.

I will probably be using my macbook for recording but also have a windows desktop handy.

Currently I own a TASCAM US-122 which was bought for me a while back. I also have a couple crappy shure mics.

I am getting an ART MP Project Series Preamp as well.

I think all I need now is a better microphone, so I was wondering if I should get a condenser mic (the TASCAM has phantom power), or an SM57 (which i have heard needs a gain boost, which is present on the ART Preamp).

Also what program is good for beginning to record?
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000 w/ EMGs
Ibanez S470DX w/ Duncan JB & 59'
Schecter C-1+
Peavey 5150 Combo
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD-808
MXR 10 band eq

WTB:
-Delay Pedal, 2 Veteran 30 Speakers, Duncan Blackouts set, Reverb Pedal
what do you want to record??
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Mostly guitar, and some vocals... and eventually drums and bass if its not too difficult.

I play through a high gain 5150 combo and play mostly with distortion, if that makes a difference. The Vocals would be mostly clean with occasionally some scream.

Sorry... should have included that in original post.
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000 w/ EMGs
Schecter C-1+
Peavey 5150 Combo
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD-808
MXR 10 band eq

WTB:
I don't think you'll need the ART preamp, since preamps in general don't improve your sound noticeably until you pay around $400 with FMR's RNP. As for microphones, any good dynamic like the SM57, E609, Electrovoice RE20, or the Sennheiser MD421 will sound awesome. As for which software, I think a good multi-track recorder is all you'll need, so you can start free with KRISTAL and move up if you find you need more features.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Thanks for your help!
Would the SM57 be better than a condenser mic? What's "FMR's RNP" (Sorry complete recording n00b).

I already have garageband, cubase and my brother has a couple of higher end recording programs that I can take. Would it be better to use those or is it way too complicated?
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000 w/ EMGs
Schecter C-1+
Peavey 5150 Combo
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD-808
MXR 10 band eq

WTB:
That's the name of the product...it's FMR Audio's Really Nice Preamp (I'm not making it up: http://www.fmraudio.com/RNP8380.htm). And the SM57 is better since its frequency response isn't so attuned to higher frequencies, so the guitar isn't so screechy.

And go with Cubase or Garageband...whatever you find easier to use. You may want to get Peak LE to polish up your sound in the end.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101