I have heard the amp in reviews on youtube...what quality youtube can provide, I am currently looking for one locally to hear.

My real question is if someone has played or heard one live and is it loud enough to play with a band in a practice setting (basically, can it make it over drums)?

Thanks.
It won't make clean tones over a drummer but it should do when cranked right up.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
if ur drummer plays some oldschool 50s doo whop you might be able to get cleans.

otherwise it's mainly all dirty.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
you need the 15W to play with a drummer and get decent cleans out of it. a 5w just isnt enough
I had one and I disagree. I don't think it would cut the mustard with a drummer, as my Vox AD15 used to drown it out at full volume, and that amp would be hard pressed to keep up. I think at least 7 watts would be needed, so the Handsome Devil (due out soon) would be better and it's only a little bit extra, with some more features too.
Quote by Roc327
I have heard the amp in reviews on youtube...what quality youtube can provide, I am currently looking for one locally to hear.

My real question is if someone has played or heard one live and is it loud enough to play with a band in a practice setting (basically, can it make it over drums)?

Thanks.

where are you? in the uk, soundcontrol is the only place you'll get one, cos they've got some exclusive deal at the moment.

As for playing over a drummer, you'd be heard if you crank the thing fully on 5W mode, but if you want cleans, then you'd need to look at something in the region of 15W tube.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Quote by AndyPandy
where are you? in the uk, soundcontrol is the only place you'll get one, cos they've got some exclusive deal at the moment.

As for playing over a drummer, you'd be heard if you crank the thing fully on 5W mode, but if you want cleans, then you'd need to look at something in the region of 15W tube.

I still disagree about 5 watts, unless the drummer is using chopsticks!

Anyway, thomann.de sell the Blackheart too, with free delivery and they are very good. They also have the 15 watt version available to order right now.

There is another German company that sell it too. Playback Europe is their name. they also sell the Crate V-18 combo for £237 inc delivery. It's a very well quoted 18 watt all tube amp. You currently can't get it in the UK but it's available on the continent. If I hadn't got my Laney VC15 today then I'd have went for that, but I'd really recommend the VC15, or Crate as they are still in the price range of the Blackheart.
Quote by greggybhoy

Anyway, thomann.de sell the Blackheart too, with free delivery and they are very good. They also have the 15 watt version available to order right now.

soundcontrol have the exclusive uk deal. you can still get it elsewhere from other companies.

As for sound: it doesnt sparke like a fender might, but it has sort of marshall-like cleans, and when you crank it, it sounds a bit like a cross between a marshall and a vox ac30.

and this thing is damn load for 5W. it surprised me no end when i first tried it. Seemed louder than the 5W grainger that i tried at the same time.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
I do live in the States. I think I found a dealer here locally just need to make it over there to hear it if they say its in stock when I call.

About getting over the drums...I play MOSTLY distorted anyway, but would be nice to play clean. Does the preamp 12ax7 in the Blackheart make a difference in sound from the Crate V Series V18-112 18W with only the power tubes?

I did see the BH15 so may wait to see what it goes for and how it sounds too.
Quote by Roc327
I do live in the States. I think I found a dealer here locally just need to make it over there to hear it if they say its in stock when I call.

About getting over the drums...I play MOSTLY distorted anyway, but would be nice to play clean. Does the preamp 12ax7 in the Blackheart make a difference in sound from the Crate V Series V18-112 18W with only the power tubes?

I did see the BH15 so may wait to see what it goes for and how it sounds too.

The Crate V18 has both preamp and power amp tubes. I admit that the stock description on most websites negates to mention this and it could seem misleading but it is all valve.

An 18 watt amp, by definition should have more clean headroom, and all in it's a better option, especially as your amp won't have to be flat out all the time to get over drums.