So im making a recording studio for my Business Plan Project. I was just wondering what hardware I would need to have like a professional studio. I already have a computer and pro tools but I cant find a big enough mixing board, I just need to know what I would need and some estimates for how much it would cost. I know some about recording but not much.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Well Im building like a professional one like they have in the expensive studios
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Real Estate.

The most important and most expensive component of your studio will be the building itself.

As they say - location, location, location!

You could be conveniently located in a major metro, like New York - and that'll cost ya.

You could be in some exotic localle, hard to get to but relaxing, say in the middle of Wyoming or something.

It's all what you want to do, and what market you're going for.

As a beginner I'd lean toward the urban market.

You'll also have to invest in clean power, that is a dedicated electric circuit that isn't shared with some other bozo's refrigerator or vacuum sweeper.

Even the plumbing is something to think about. If your lead guitarist is taking a dump, you don't want that on the drum tracks!

A good studio is designed from the ground up - underground, actually!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Well you've got to take into account what you are going to be recording. If you want to record a whole orchestra, then you'll probably want a big dock off mixer for each instrument (some people use an omni-directional mic but not a great deal of sound is captured), but if you are just recording some bands with an overdubbing method, you'll probably need no more than 8 channels (you could pick a good one up for about £200). Also because you are recording onto a computer, if the mixer has no USB/firewire connection, you will need to buy some sort of USB/Firewire audio interface to get the audio to record straight into protools.

And don't forget the mics!

EDIT: And as far as big mixing boards go, I saw a 46 channel mixer for £75,000, so they are **** expensive!

My Website

Sometimes I make people spurt:
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
sigged for making me spurt guiness on my laptop...damn you!

Quote by imdeth

Jimmy that was pure awesomeness. WIN!
Last edited by jimmyjimbo72 at Apr 17, 2008,
yeah I will be recording bands, like rock and metal bands
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Look at the Digidesign D-Command Systems (http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=17&langid=141&categoryid=16). It doesn't get much better than this.
As for mics, get some $5000 ribbon mics, Neumann U87 stereo set and some AKG 414 condenser mics.

Edit: Or did I get it wrong and you actually have to buy it?
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Lethal Dosage
yeah I will be recording bands, like rock and metal bands

Then go for the 8 channel option. Behringer are awesome; cheep and reliable...

http://www.behringer.com/UB1622FX/index.cfm?lang=eng

HOWEVER.

Your better off finding one with 8 XLR inputs instead of some being jacks, as XLR provides a better signal or some crap like that.

My Website

Sometimes I make people spurt:
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
sigged for making me spurt guiness on my laptop...damn you!

Quote by imdeth

Jimmy that was pure awesomeness. WIN!